How to best represent this mechanically: Random Alchemy?

nexus

There's an alchemist character in Fantasy game I'm currently running who's apprenticed to her much more experienced parents. She also has a yearning for adventure which technically her parents frown on (having their only daughter running around in dark caverns fighting and fraternizing with Gods know what isn't what good parents should do...) but their feelings are soothed over by the rare and interesting components, flora and fauna samples she brings back from her adventures.

The daughter, Adele, has gotten into the habit of "borrowing" items from their workshop before her forays. She often sneaks something or hastily grabs a random bottle or geegaw without checking thoroughly too see what it is or misunderstands the arcane labeling. In any event, she usually gets something useful or at least innocuous but occasionally her luck runs out and she gets a surprise. Not a lethal one but an overall detriment to her (and possibly her companion's) well being.

How would you suggest representing this on her character sheet?

Re: How to best represent this mechanically: Random Alchemy?

I think it depends on whether she ever gets what she's looking for - or knows what she got - or if it's just all random. If random, then what Sean said, plus probably another custom lim b/c she doesn't even know what she has when she switches the VPP.

If she does sometimes get it right, then I'd say activation roll plus side effects.

X points worth of alchemy goodies picked by the Player. (decide with your GM if this needs to be written up as an equipment VPP or can just be a flat cost)

plus

X points worth of alchemy goodies picked by the Player with an Activation Roll -- a failed roll indicating that the goodies are basically useless. (again, decide if this is a VPP or flat cost)

plus

X points worth of alchemy goodies to be determined by GM as useful/interesting plot hooks.

You could go with the VPP thing as you want something different every time then give the character a disadvantage:

PhysLim - impulsive - occasionally misunderstands instructions because she doesn't take the time. (Infrequenty greatly 10 points)

The GM rolls the 3d6 whenever she is given instructions (or reads them) and, if the roll is 8 or less, misreports the instructions to the player.

This looks like a job for Side Effect, as part of the time tested combination of Activation Roll and Side Effect.

Character attempts to use item as they think it works.

If they make the Activation roll it works like they expected/guessed it would.

If they fail the Activation roll, they get the Side Effect.

I would probably go with the Extreme version of Side Effect.

Otherwise, unless you are using a large VPP, the side effects might not be worth noticing.

As far as the general idea, I think I am being influenced too much by "Master of The Five Magics".

In that book alchemy was an expensive, laborious, dangerous process in which potion/item creation was the rarely successful result of a lot of hard work.

The idea of an apprentice grabbing potions off the shelf and using them without even knowing exactly what they do is rather horrifying. :eek:

"Daughter, that potion you threw at that kobold took Six Years of hard work and 500 Gold Pieces worth of ingredients to create.

For that price, I could have hired an army to do your fighting for you.

Not to mention the fact that, properly aged, it would have increased the King's virility and allowed him to sire an Heir to the Throne.

That would have brought great honor, not to mention wealth, to our shop.

Instead, the result was a damp and slightly randy Kobold.

Your adventuring days are over!"

On the other hand, in a more lighthearted campaign, I can see this as a fun idea.

Although it might end up being more fun for me than the Player in question.:sneaky:

"Oh, that potion doesn't summon spiders to attack your enemy. It turns your enemy into a giant spider."

"That wasn't a poison antidote, that was a poison accelerator!"

Plus this would make for some great plot hooks.

"That 'water breathing' potion you gave to your party member just turned him into a Merman.

He's swimming away at top speed looking for a Mermaid to mate with.

At the rate he's going, it looks like he will be about 10 miles from shore and around 200 feet deep when it wears off.

You should probably start trying to figure out how to find him, or at least what to tell his family when you get back to town."

KA.