Mental Powers

Fearghus

Re: Mental Powers

But can you jab multiple people standing several feet away from eachother in one movement?

I've certainly seen this sort of thing in martial arts films and anime. Similarly a club might be used to strike several people with one swipe.

That's almost always Sweep or Multiple Move Bys though.

It could be. The question is, why does it have to be.

More tools in the tool kit is better than fewer.

[

Another Mechanical Model I've used for that is Area Of Effect. Either on STR or an EB with SFX of "I hit everywhere"

Just so. Lots of ways to skin that cat. Why rule one out?

It could be. The question is' date=' why does it [i']have to [/i]be.

This too could be a balance issue. Sweep and Multiple Move By both carry significant downsides, AOE has a not minor point cost, but Spread is free with comparitively small downsides. No DCV penalty, first two dice are free from base strength, STR is favorably costed, HtH Attack includes a built in limitation (How cheap would HtH be with the limit only for spreading attacks?).

Anyway, if I were to attempt to apply motive to rule, I would say balance played a part in the ranged only for sweep decision particularly since there also exist maneauvers allowing multiple target HtH attacks.

This too could be a balance issue. Sweep and Multiple Move By both carry significant downsides, AOE has a not minor point cost, but Spread is free with comparitively small downsides. No DCV penalty, first two dice are free from base strength, STR is favorably costed, HtH Attack includes a built in limitation (How cheap would HtH be with the limit only for spreading attacks?).

Anyway, if I were to attempt to apply motive to rule, I would say balance played a part in the ranged only for sweep decision particularly since there also exist maneauvers allowing multiple target HtH attacks.

I understand. It's also true, though, that there are maneuvers allowing multiple target ranged attacks.

I'm not sure if the loss of damage is such a small downside. *shrug* I thought this was an interesting point but I certainly won't push it any farther. Game on.:thumbup:

As far as spreading Mental Illusions is concerned, there may be some specific mention of it in the Ultimate Mentalist.

However, from the hip, the problem w/ trying affect multiple targets w/ a level of effect mental power is the level of effect concept itself. The same effect roll will yield a different level of effect against different targets.

On that note, I've allowed characters to Rapid Fire Mental Powers before following the normal rules for such, and it worked ok in practice. YMMV.

I have not previously (its never come up), but I wouldn't have a fundamental problem with Spreading a Mental Power like Mental Illusions in the general case, but any specialized modifiers on a particular construct could definitely inform my decision on a case by case basis; particularly Set Effect and All Or Nothing type lims.

yes it is called a move by

if they are all in a circle around you 1 hex away it is a Curly slap

But can you jab multiple people standing several feet away from eachother in one movement?

Personally I do not think that the system should try to 'balance' different powers by giving access to different maneouvres - it simply lacks transparency and adds complexity. If you can spread one attack you can spread them all as far as I am concerned, so long as you can in some way justify it in terms of your powers: want to spread STR? Pick up a telegraph pole, or an I beam.

Thought:

Spreading trades damage off against accuracy/AoE.

Rapid attack/sweep trades accuracy off against multiple attacks/multiple targets.

MPA trades off character points against increased damage capacity.

Haymaker trades off defence and time against increased damage.

Pushing trades off loss of END against increased effect.

They are all ways you can customise your character mid-game, and that is fine.

As far as spreading Mental Illusions is concerned, there may be some specific mention of it in the Ultimate Mentalist.

However, from the hip, the problem w/ trying affect multiple targets w/ a level of effect mental power is the level of effect concept itself. The same effect roll will yield a different level of effect against different targets.

Isn't it the same with, say, an EB? The same damage roll is likely to come up against different levels of defence and different Stun and Body pools. Same attack, different effects. I don't see a problem with that. Some people may see through your illusion, and some may not.

Isn't it the same with' date=' say, an EB? The same damage roll is likely to come up against different levels of defence and different Stun and Body pools. Same attack, different effects. I don't see a problem with that. Some people may see through your illusion, and some may not.[/quote']

Also you can make a mental power AoE, which then encounters the same problem.

Given that the system does not define how anything works, simply provides mechanical effect, there is no logical reason - other than power balance or campaign preference - why some attacks should be restricted from using spreading.

Isn't it the same with' date=' say, an EB? The same damage roll is likely to come up against different levels of defence and different Stun and Body pools. Same attack, different effects. I don't see a problem with that. Some people may see through your illusion, and some may not.[/quote']

Its not that it can't be resolved with the application of some common sense; but its not the same thing as damage. A single damage roll has a consistent level of effect; it is just mitigated at different rates. Level of effects are thresholds which are reached or not reached, and which allow for "extra" effect to be used for other things. More complicated power constructs can become tricky to adjudicate if a single effect roll is being applied to multiple people; try adjudicating a AoE Mental Illusion some time to see what I mean. It's legal, and it can be done, but it does slow the game down and requires more effort than simply applying x damage - y defenses to z affected targets.