Stargate

Steve

Re: Stargate

EDM with the Gate limitation and +/-0 for Opaque to Normal Sight & Hearing. It's not Opaque to the Radio group, so the Malp has no problems, and you can also send radio signals. Bulky Imobile focus, but a note that you can mount a Stargate in a very large vehicle (some of the ships had them).

Extra Dimensional Movement is only supposed to be for travel to another dimension though. The Stargate creates a wormhole between two points in the same dimension.

Here's how I'd build it:

93 Chapa'ai Teleportation 10", x256 mass, No Relative Velocity, Area of Effect (2" radius, two-dimensional; +1/2), Continuous (+1), MegaScale (1" = 100,000 light years, can scale down to 1" = 1 light year; +5), Usable By Others (+1/4), 24 Charges lasting up to 38 minutes each (+1 1/2) (647 Active Points); Can Only Teleport to Fixed Locations (-1/2), Extra Time (1 Minute, only to activate -3/4), OIF Immobile, Arrangement (-1 3/4), Independent (-2), Side Effect (disintegrates anything within 6" column in front of gate when activated; -1 3/4) plus 1 Floating Fixed Location

Ironically, since it's opaque to normal senses and matter can only travel one way through it, I think the Gate limitation isn't applicable. think.gif

I know this is heresy: I'd probably just tell the players that they've found a Stargate and not stat it out at all. The problem with nailing something down with a build is that, when you have the great idea for a story that relies on a quirk of the Stargate, you have to re-stat it.

In practice, generally all you really need to know about most technology is 'what does it do in game' and ''how hard do i have to hit it to break it'? Especially in a Stargate type game, where, presumably the players are not paying for having a Stargate, the actual cost doesn't matter much.

Don't get me wrong - there would be a 'Stargate Build Sheet' that I would consult regularly when someone wanted to do something creative, it's just there would be nothing on it. Smoke and mirrors.

In fact, the Stargate is pretty much the ultimate plot device. You can build it, but why would you want to?

Oh, and I'd just say it was opaque (well TECHNICALLY it is not so much opaque as simply 'one way only except for radio' (eh?), so I'd make it one way only for -1/2 and say that swallowed up the 'opaque' limitation) - it's not like there are all kinds of better Stargate out there the players are going to pick in preference.

Hmm. Thinking about it, 'One Way Only' is as much a plot device as the Stargate itself, and can be used as an advantage as well as being a limitation. I might make that -0, and make the opacity a function of the one-wayness.

Which is a point - why does light entering the stargate not appear at the other end - it shouldn't be opaque at the destination, looking back to the point of origin.

Ah well. Plot device. If you could simply see through it you would not need to go there half the time.