A Magic: THe Gathering player

Badger

I got this idea a while ago, thanks to the bount on Bleach, Ugaki. But, I decided to ask while it is my mind.

Basically, I got the idea to create a character who essentially was a former fanatic player of Magic: THe Gathering. Who somehow developed the ability to turn the card to life (whether it be summon a creature, cast a spell, I dont know what for a land card). His tactics is essentially he is playing a kind of live "solo" version of the game in a sense. Albeit the card he uses becomes of use on the battlefield in whatever appropriate fashion against a PC team.

However, I would have no idea about creating this character. But, I think a VPP is the only way to go (essentially the villian would be a lot like a wizard using a spell book except with randomly drawn cards). Anyhow any ideas?

Note: Course, this is a character I likely would never use as it would pose its complications. (A GM might have a hard time doubling playing a makeshift game of M:TG ;) ) But, it was an intriguing idea I cant get out of my head, so I had to ask. :D. Anyway, my idea for use in a game would be more as a villain team member who stays back at base and uses the cards as a sort of a help for the other team members during the fight. Say a fireball from heaven might make for a good artillery. Summoning up a horde of goblins or zombies could make for some foot soldiers to help the rest of the gang get away with the loot while the heroes have to tangle with a horde that cant be technically killed (at least not permanently killed unless the card is destroyed, it'd just pop up next time he/she played that deck of course) for examples (I'd have break into my forgotten packs of cards to remember the exacts)

Oh and I need a decent name too?

Re: A Magic: THe Gathering player

Let me begin by saying I think he needs a Speed of 7 (For his initial draw :)). If I were to go about this I would look at what kind of a "Deck" he was playing or can he recreate any magic card he has? I think it would be easier if he was stuck with like the one he was playing or had on him at the time. If he had like two or three decks then maybe each is a multipower with lockout. Since you can only play one at a time right?

At that point I would look at what are the core functions of the cards, Direct Damage seems easy enough, a weeny deck might be a Continuous Summon, Black Decks might be trickery with things like Pestilence and Drain Life. Although the former might just be a No range AoE.

For the Land issue, you may want to have each Deck/Multipower fueled by an End Reserve (Mana) and each Multipower contain an Aid for this End Reserve. Mana heavy decks might have a higher Aid or even Aid bought in multiples.

Sounds like a strange but fun concept, good luck.

Variable Power Pool... Uncontrollable random set of 40 powers... all set to a 'shared endurance reservoir' pool (or 5) that recharge every round. The powers are changeable only when he goes home to his collection.

Big emphasis on Summons, but almost any power is with proper planning.

Variable Power Pool... Uncontrollable random set of 40 powers... all set to a 'shared endurance reservoir' pool (or 5) that recharge every round. The powers are changeable only when he goes home to his collection.

Big emphasis on Summons, but almost any power is with proper planning.

He needs 15 powers he can swap pout whenever he gets Stunned. (Sideboard)

You could even use props, and say the VPP you couldn't control what came out, you draw from a real deck. You might want a fireball from the sky, but must live with this horrendously huge sword you can't even pick up.

Also remember monsters summoned can't attack straight away and summoning sickness would have a visible effect.

Maybe he can only play one card a phase?

Maybe the best way to beat him is if he runs out of cards to draw? Then all his spells and creatures stops working and he can't restart unless he returns to his mystic base.

But what happens when one hero wises up and decides to destroy the deck before he can draw any more?

KABOOM!

Mystical explosion, and there is a portal to the world of Magic the Gathering! The GM draws a card to see whether the players move to a new land (Extra dimensional Movement), or face a new adversary. But what about the nerd Villain?

Name of the villain?

The Chancellor!

I put too much thought into this. Enjoy.

Endurance reserve lands... and always on the lookout for the "Moxes", those obvious accessible focuses that boost the power reserve for free? In fact, any of the 'Power 9' would be some strong effects.

Disadvantages: Hunted: Constantly Watched by the Much More Powerful 'DCI Judge'

I had a similar idea for a villain; he had the power to bring any picture or image to life. He just used game cards because they were portable and concealable (and he was also a gamer geek). I just gave him a huge-butt VPP with a limitation that he could only use it to bring a picture to life. He didn't have to follow the rules for the game (and usually carried cards from several games), though.

Why huge-butt? I have Dragonball Z cards to use for props ...

If the guy uses multiple cards from various games...Now bear with me here this needs some explaining:

Your heroes are famous enough, that they have received deals to use their appearance to sell toys and comics etc (all the money goes to charity if that's what the players want). assuming they do so, super villains are also allowed to be copied (or a character that looks very much like the villain i.e. WeaselBird=Foxbat).

Then you find out the pictures are being used for a card game. And this villain has taken the first prototype set. Now he's using the heroes' most powerful villains against them, as well as their most powerful abilites! How can the heroes beat this guy, when he's everything they've ever experienced!

And there's the fact the creator of the cards thought the villains and heroes were stronger then they really are...

How does that work out? Also City if Heroes make a card game out of their game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes_Collectible_Card_Game

You can even make your player's cards here: http://www.cohccg.com/cardbuilder/.

You can use any picture you like, not just one from City of Heroes.

You could even use props, and say the VPP you couldn't control what came out, you draw from a real deck. You might want a fireball from the sky, but must live with this horrendously huge sword you can't even pick up.

Also remember monsters summoned can't attack straight away and summoning sickness would have a visible effect.

Maybe he can only play one card a phase?

Maybe the best way to beat him is if he runs out of cards to draw? Then all his spells and creatures stops working and he can't restart unless he returns to his mystic base.

But what happens when one hero wises up and decides to destroy the deck before he can draw any more?

KABOOM!

Mystical explosion, and there is a portal to the world of Magic the Gathering! The GM draws a card to see whether the players move to a new land (Extra dimensional Movement), or face a new adversary. But what about the nerd Villain?

Name of the villain?

The Chancellor!

I put too much thought into this. Enjoy.

Oh yeah, I was definately going to go with him having to use the deck and having to adjust his strategy for what he picked up.

And yes, I was also thinking of having him only use one a phase (maybe even 1 per Turn)

As far as taking out the villian. I wouldnt want to make it too easy. :eg: i was really thinking of using him more as a member of a team of 4-6 members. Where the others might be more active in battle. And his monsters would kind of be almost operate like added mooks/underlings/henchmen/minions in practice. Though, he most certainly could operate alone under certain circumstances. Though, I wouldnt actually have him present on the battlefield. Although he might be near the battlefield. I was also going to take another page from the Bount character Ugaki, and have him be able to have a sort of telepathic link to his cards where he could see through their eyes of his creatures or maybe have a godlike "view" from above.

And yes, I was thinking. Destroy the deck and he is in deep poop (unless he has an extra deck in his pocket of course). THough, if I were to put him on a villain team or more than 6, I might keep an extra team member to stay with him as a bodyguard, just in case. (perhaps the cliche big dumb brick who can only obey the most simple of commands "Protect him!" :rolleyes:)

And I like The Chancellor name. Though, I have started thinking maybe make it instead of the nerdy virgin guy, actually a nice looking lady. You can almost see it: Actually finding The Chancellor's hiding spot and being caught off-guard. "THis isnt right, hot chicks dont play Magic: THe Gathering" ;)

Note: I like the mystical explosion angle too. But generally transporting characters to extra dimensions isnt my favorite cup of tea. (might have to do with that episode of Superfriends with the Legion of Doom when they sent several Superfriends into certain nursery rhymes, and one being Alice in Wonderland, Alice in Wonderland always freaked me right the heck out.)

I had a similar idea for a villain; he had the power to bring any picture or image to life. He just used game cards because they were portable and concealable (and he was also a gamer geek). I just gave him a huge-butt VPP with a limitation that he could only use it to bring a picture to life. He didn't have to follow the rules for the game (and usually carried cards from several games), though.

Why huge-butt? I have Dragonball Z cards to use for props ...

Actually, I did actually think originally of doing somewhat similar to all that. Where he played all sort of CCGs and bring any of those to life. But, then I thought of DBZ and such and went. "Oh my :eek: "

I

Oh and I need a decent name too?

When I had that idea, I called him "Master Card". Which wasn't a great name, but then he wasn't exactly a villain to be taken seriously. Any villain who steals collectable cards and can be defeated just by getting your own deck and challenging him to a game (and winning of course...)