Special Effects Rules

Here are some sfx rules I've come up with for a game I'm planning. I'd be obliged if you would cast an eye over them in case there are any glaring problems you can forsee. It is a superhero game. Transmeratite is an Orgone active mineral that manifests some of the 'strengths' of Superhumans.

SFX: Although all powers ultimately work through Orgone Energy this can manifest itself in a number of ways. You can not adjust or otherwise affect Orgone Energy directly (except through the application of powers or Transmetarite devices – you can not ‘Aid Orgone Energy’ to boost every ability), although it can be detected with enhanced senses. Orgone Energy can only be channeled by a living Superhuman or using Transmetarite equipment.

All powers will therefore have one of 6 ‘manifestation’ sfx from the following list. As a rule of thumb, ALL of a Superhuman’s powers should have the same Manifestation sfx (but may have very different source and effect sfx – see below):

• Magic (Mystic energy)
  • Psionic (Mental energy)
  • Bioenergy (Internal energy)
  • Cosmic Power (External energy)
  • Technology (Specific tech that only works when Orgone Powered NB Tech does not have to be made of Transmetarite if a superhuman is ‘powering’ it)
  • Transmetarite (It is possible to play a normal human with Transmetarite equipment, but it is not recommended: while using Transmetarite defences (but a NND might shred you as it bypasses those defences), Superhuman attacks affect you normally and Transmetarite based attacks affect Superhumans normally, but the ‘Body’ rules apply to you as a normal human. Use the ‘female Superhuman’ template, all ‘Superhuman’ powers and characteristics must be bought through a focus of some sort, but obtain GM permission first. You must take the ‘Normal Characteristic Maxima’ disadvantage but you do not get any other ‘special’ disadvantages for being human, and should not generally base any limitation on being human)

All powers will then have one of 6 ‘source’ sfx from the following list

• Attractive Energy (Gravity, Magnetism, etc)
  • Chemical Energy (Acids, Poisons, etc)
  • Kinetic Energy (Punches, knives etc)
  • Negative Energy (Cold, darkness, etc)
  • Physical Energy (Vibration, Sonics, etc)
  • Positive Energy (Heat, EMR, electricity, etc)

Finally all powers will have a specific ‘effect’ sfx, which can be pretty much anything, so long as it is compatible with the source sfx. You can usually work out the Source sfx from the Effect sfx, as they are related.

Thus all powers will have 3 sfx: Manifestation, Source and Effect

Re: Special Effects Rules

To a large extent all of the Manifestation SFX are 'just labels' to differenetiate between different, very broad, categories that sfx have to pass through to give some structure to adjustment powers and NNDs. I'll attach the full document (so far) to this post so that you can see the context if you are interested - it is still a work in progress. :)

To answer the questions posed though, I see a structured approach to the energy that powers Superhumans.

The 'fundamental energy of the Universe is Orgone Energy, which you can not access directly: it has to be accessed through a paradigm, a manifestation in this reality (and others).

Broadly, Psionic and Bioenergy are 'Internal' energy sources, which draw Orgone Energy though the being. There are two of them mainly for flavour.

Magic and Cosmic are 'External' sources, where the Superhuman draws and channels energy from the surroundings, again 2 for flavour ('Cosmic' sounds a bit more sciency).

Finally we have the 'focus based' manifestations, Technology (I might change the name as it could potentially include devices that are not strictly technological, then again I might not, following Clarke's Law :)) for SuperHumans who require a prop and Transmetarite for Superhumans who require a different prop and so that I can occasionally justify normal humans putting up an effective fight - if you look at the campaign guidelines, normal humans not using Transmetarite equipment will get shredded, even if they are driving tanks: Superhumans can basically ignore 'real world' DEF, and their defences are twice as effective against 'real world' weapons.

Anyway, the main reason for the differentiation is so that I can make adjustment powers work properly, but I'm interested in any criticism of the structure - it would be nice if it made some sense :thumbup:

This is almost what the Ultimate Energy Blaster suggested but with more flexibility and emphasis on making it what each game needs rather than on trying to be comprehensive.

I like it. It is obviously meta-gaming of the highest order but that is often what is required to get a game that works.

SFX should be fluff on top but when you are talking adjustment powers etc there needs to be an underlying core - solid places where your gaming feet can get a grip.

The terms ultimately mean nothing though the GM may work hard to ensure that the terms mainly make sense and provide the game with some consistency to benefit those players that are paying attention....

Doc

This is almost what the Ultimate Energy Blaster suggested but with more flexibility and emphasis on making it what each game needs rather than on trying to be comprehensive.

I like it. It is obviously meta-gaming of the highest order but that is often what is required to get a game that works.

SFX should be fluff on top but when you are talking adjustment powers etc there needs to be an underlying core - solid places where your gaming feet can get a grip.

The terms ultimately mean nothing though the GM may work hard to ensure that the terms mainly make sense and provide the game with some consistency to benefit those players that are paying attention....

Doc

I do not mind meta-gaming so much if it permeates and preceeds the gameplay: it then becomes little more than world rules, a bit like TORG had, if you recall that game.

It is really useful for adjustment powers though, which is the main reason I did it (and did it by limiting in some ways the sfx you could chose). You can use it to make Power Defnce make sense!

Anyway thanks for looking any your comments!

The Manifestation sfx list seems to me to be the way that the character interacts with, invokes and/or controls the ability (magic spells, psychic force of will, etc.). Is this more of a character concept/background thing, or are there mechanics that actually care about this? If it is just a way to differentiate superpowers (or superscience) from normal abilities/equipment for adjustment powers, is it possible to make a super power that drains normal strength? or that drains the electricity from a car's battery, leaving it powerless? If the two are separated from each other can they still interact (other than combat)?

The Source sfx list seems to be how the ability interacts with the world, or in a general sense, the type of interaction it represents. However, I do not see anything for a lot of mentalist abilities: mind link, telepathy, mind control, etc. Passive and/or non-energy-based abilities (e.g. enhanced senses) are not really represented. If it is a "detect" of one of the listed energy types, fine, but what about detect emotions? or detect gold?

And, the Effect sfx is mostly just what it looks like.

Interesting ideas.

The Manifestation sfx list seems to me to be the way that the character interacts with' date=' invokes and/or controls the ability (magic spells, psychic force of will, etc.). Is this more of a character concept/background thing, or are there mechanics that actually care about this? If it is just a way to differentiate superpowers (or superscience) from normal abilities/equipment for adjustment powers, is it possible to make a super power that drains normal strength? or that drains the electricity from a car's battery, leaving it powerless? If the two are separated from each other can they still interact (other than combat)?[/quote']

Excellent point. I'd say any superpower would work on the mundane, and the mundane has no defence against superpowers.

The Source sfx list seems to be how the ability interacts with the world' date=' or in a general sense, the type of interaction it represents. However, I do not see anything for a lot of mentalist abilities: mind link, telepathy, mind control, etc. Passive and/or non-energy-based abilities (e.g. enhanced senses) are not really represented. If it is a "detect" of one of the listed energy types, fine, but what about detect emotions? or detect gold?[/quote']

Also an excellent point. I probably ought to add some sort of Psionic Energy, but that would probably mean removing it from the Manifestation sfx. Maybe there ought to be a few more 'theoretical' energies there too, but I don't want too many.

I'm happy enough for people to detect gold using radio waves, or sonic vibration or gravito-magnetic resonance :)

And' date=' the Effect sfx is mostly just what it looks like. [/quote']

Indeed.

Interesting ideas.

Thankyou :) And thankyou for your comments - very useful.