MegaScale Missle Deflection

Kenn

There are vehicles, space ships, that in their write-ups in various Hero System books that have Megascale added to some of their long range weapons.

If I wanted a character, in Champions, who was capable of deflecting - even redirecting, those types of beams would she need Megascale added to her Missle Deflection power?

Re: MegaScale Missle Deflection

Interesting question. I would be inclined to say you don't need MegaScale if the attack is directed at you, but the form you can use to deflect an attack at an adjacent hex I'm not so sure of. Likewise, if it is an Area of Effect attack (with the area MegaScaled, not necessarily the range) that has any chance of being deflected.... Hmm.

Maybe it is best left up to the individual game. In a superhero game it might make sense for the character to be able to deflect a blast from a starship, but a Jedi doing so with his lightsaber, for example.... It might be a good way to distinguish between the "scale" of character weapons and that of large vehicle weapons.

In essence I'm trying to model something that we hand waved in 4e.

Alien badguys were firing a massive weapon from their starship, and our Captain Marvel(Billy)-knockoff flew the team's energy reflector guy into the path of the beam so the beam could be reflected back at the starship.

erm... you can't deflect Area Of Effect Attacks normally' date=' [/quote']

Indeed you can't (5ER page 210). I can see why you thought I might be referring to such.

and you can't apply Area Of Effect to Missile Deflect.

I just searched 5ER, the FAQ (http://www.herogames.com/rulesFAQ.htm0 ), and HERO System 5th Edition Rules Questions (http://www.herogames.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3). I didn't find any such prohibition. As far as I can determine, the following build is within the rules. (Whether it's within campaign parameters is a different question.):

Steal Blessings:

Missile Deflection and Reflection, all missiles, Reflects Attacks At Any Target: (50 points).

Usable As Attack (+1), Range (+1/2), Area Of Effect (Radius) doubled four times (+2): (Active Cost 225)

Only Deflects/Reflects supernatural powers intended to benefit target (-1/2): (Real Cost 150)

Please clarify your statement.

.... or if you plan on Missile Deflection covering Megascale level Areas.

Hyper-Man beat me to finding the reference.

Missile Deflection has a built in mechanism for taking care of incoming attacks at Ranged, it cannot generally deflect ranged area of effect attacks (the exception being AoE Attacks bought as "Can Be Missile Deflected"), and it most definitely cannot take Area Of Effect on itself.

You can deflect incoming Megaranged Attacks normally, but at normal ranges or you can Megarange your Missile Deflection and deflect Attacks out to Megaranges.

There is a legal way to apply AOE to a Missile Deflection build but only if UAA has been applied and it only affects who can be targeted via UAA. What can be deflected is still governed by the general rule (AOE attacks cannot be defelected unless they have that Limitation).

example:

140 Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack), Missile Reflection, Reflect At Any Target, No Range Modifier (+1/2), Usable As Attack (+1), Full Range (+1), Area Of Effect (240" Radius; +2) (140 Active Points) - END=0

HeroDesigner allows this combination of Advantages (Range, UAA and AOE) but I don't think they stack intuitively like they do on other abilities.