A few questions.

PerennialRook

Say I am going to make an archer, Ashbern Fletcher.

I'm buying talents for Ash when I notice Deadly Blow. Cool. As an archer I give him Expert Archer and as a hunter I give him Expert Hunter. Now fletcher is hunting a deer with his bow. Do I get both +1d6's to his attacks for a total of +2d6?

Also I'm buying Rapid Archery for Ash, though with the variant that uses the naked Autofire. Do I have to include the +2d6 from deadly blows with the cost of the bow's Autofire?

Just a few more.

Ash has a STR of 25, more than enough for the heaviest bow in the book. Can I get a 3d6 Great Composite Longbow with a range of 315" and a STR min of 24 weighing 1.6 kg at a cost of 55 SP?

Ash's afore mentioned bow has a wick on the front of his bow to light arrows that have been wrapped in oil soaked cloth. How do I build said arrows?

Thank you for your help,

-Preston

Re: A few questions.

Originally posted by PerennialRook

Say I am going to make an archer, Ashbern Fletcher.

You're going to make an archer. Don't call me Ashbern Fletcher.

I don't see a problem with having Expert Archer and Expert Hunter, but that would be a GM call. I can't imagine so many adventures would involve engaging deer at range, so it shouldn't be too unbalancing.

If you want the extra damage from Expert Archer and Expert Hunter while using Rapid Archery, then yes, you have to take that damage into account when buying the Autofire.

I see no reason why you couldn't have a bow with a higher STR Min and all that's implied with that. Again, that would be a GM call, and I'd make it a pretty expensive bow, as it would have to be custom made.

A wick on the bow? That's a little weird. Most people just have a torch stuck in the ground nearby if they're firing oil-soaked arrows. To build oil-soaked arrows as a power, I'd add a Continuous Uncontrolled 0 END fire attack to the base arrow, probably with an Activation roll, since fire arrows don't always catch things on fire even when they hit. I think 4th ed FH considered them 8- Activation.

Re: A few questions.

Originally posted by PerennialRook

I'm buying talents for Ash when I notice Deadly Blow. Cool. As an archer I give him Expert Archer and as a hunter I give him Expert Hunter. Now fletcher is hunting a deer with his bow. Do I get both +1d6's to his attacks for a total of +2d6?

I would say yes.

Also I'm buying Rapid Archery for Ash, though with the variant that uses the naked Autofire. Do I have to include the +2d6 from deadly blows with the cost of the bow's Autofire?

Yes.

Ash has a STR of 25, more than enough for the heaviest bow in the book. Can I get a 3d6 Great Composite Longbow with a range of 315" and a STR min of 24 weighing 1.6 kg at a cost of 55 SP?

Personally, I would not allow this, for several reasons. A) This would give you a bow that can fire an arrow over 1/3 of a mile. B) I don't think you could make such a bow out of wood. C) When you add your DC's and special arrows to it, you could easily be doing 5-6 d6 Killing attacks.

I would possibly allow you to have a "Fine Very Heavy Longbow" custom made for you, with a 20 or so str min, and the "Biting" improvement. This would probably involve you going on quests for the materials, etc. It would likely cost at least 70 SP plus materials.

Ash's afore mentioned bow has a wick on the front of his bow to light arrows that have been wrapped in oil soaked cloth. How do I build said arrows?

Usually, the GM will have a way to build fire arrows already, and you just buy them. Ask you GM what his preferred method is, or suggest the one above from Captain Obvious.

- Ernie

I would allow the "extra strong bow" - I had in fact a very strong archer type who wanted this. But it is not something you can buy off the shelf, so getting it made involved a degree of trouble and cost.

As an aside, I regard the "Deadly Blow" type constructs as totally off the wall, so would not allow any such mechanism in my games. Check that your GM will allow this first.

I agree with the other posts on costs.

cheers, Mark

I think that for game balance reasons that I would only allow a character to ever have a +1d6 on any single weapon. A 4D6 Longbow seems a little extreme to me.

Further more once said character started shooting flaming arrows I would probably rule that faming arrows are not what said character trained with while learning his Bow Mastery, and there for his bow mastery would not work with flaming arrow. That is of course assuming that they are normal made black powder type flaming arrows. If said character has normal arrows that had been enchanted then I would let the damage combine, how ever such arrow would be in very limited supply.

But then again I am a little more concerned with game balance the some others. As stated above. I think that a longbow doing 5 to 6D6 Killing is just insane in a normal fantasy setting (or any other setting).

Finally on a personally note, I would rethink your characters last name. If for no other reason than it has be done to death.

Later