Campaign: Pulling The Fangs

Narf the Mouse

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Campaign: Pulling The Fangs

His eyes glow because he is part of a secret warrior society, that uses mystical arts to boost their combat abilities. Combat Luck is kind of the tie-in for that.

Think of the Fremen, and the Weirding Way from Dune. They are a warrior society, enhanced through the use of spice.

Things will become more clear when I actually can get some time to finish his character history.

Archeron is an interesting character, Manic. But can you explain something: why do his eyes glow? I mean, Archeron is human, yes?

And where did you get that character sheet? I want that version

As Ragnarok has noted, I currently lack the character's history so I look forward to finding out myself! Acheron is a character recycled a bit from my Fantasy game last year, so I'm wondering what parts of the history will remain....

Are you asking what export format did I use? If so, I'll try to take a look later today and figure it out. I know it's one of three....at least I believe so.

I stayed till 8. We were on for tonight right?

I think I'm done unless we can get some more people.

I have been on the edge of wanting to play for the past couple of weeks. I have stared at the Hero Central page(s) and still don't have a feeling for the game. Is this a High Fantasy game set in a Horror setting (ie Ravenloft), or is this a early Steampunk game that has Horror elements (ie Castle Falkenstein). Or something else entirely?

Are there non-human Races (ie Elves, Halflings, Orcs etc ala D&D)? Early Firearms meaning up to Flintlocks, Wheellocks (ie Revolutionary war), Percussion Cap Weapons? (ie Early Civil War).

This all matters for me so I can choose which character concept is best.

Yipe! I totally forgot! Terribly sorry, totally my fault. I'm on HC chat now, if either of you wants to yell at me...Or game.

It's a bit of all three - There's ancient magic, new magic, new technology (Early cannons, fire-arms, simple mechanical devices like flamethrowers (*Very* dangerous). There's also vampires, werewolves, demons, undead and various creatures who think mortals are tasty-good eats.

There's non-human races, but not very many in this particular kingdom, the reason for which is mostly that I think horror doesn't go very well with a protagonist who's an extra step removed from you.

Matchlocks. :D Very early - Fire a cannon and there's a bad chance it'll explode in your face.

OTOH, firearms are powerful, both because of their sheer power and because there's not that much magic developed to counter them, yet - A spell/item to deflect bullets would be one step rarer than one to deflect arrows, etc..

Yipe! I totally forgot! Terribly sorry, totally my fault. I'm on HC chat now, if either of you wants to yell at me...Or game.

It's a bit of all three - There's ancient magic, new magic, new technology (Early cannons, fire-arms, simple mechanical devices like flamethrowers (*Very* dangerous). There's also vampires, werewolves, demons, undead and various creatures who think mortals are tasty-good eats.

There's non-human races, but not very many in this particular kingdom, the reason for which is mostly that I think horror doesn't go very well with a protagonist who's an extra step removed from you.

Matchlocks. :D Very early - Fire a cannon and there's a bad chance it'll explode in your face.

OTOH, firearms are powerful, both because of their sheer power and because there's not that much magic developed to counter them, yet - A spell/item to deflect bullets would be one step rarer than one to deflect arrows, etc..

Heh, np. I need to think about a character then. The two ideas I had aren't going to work (I think). Regrouping time :D

Tasha

Out of curiosity' date=' what were your ideas?[/quote']

One is a Mage who casts using the focus of a haunted Colt Revolver. Kind of a cross between a mage and a gunfighter. She looks human but is something else (I can go into more in B-mail, but I want it to be a surprise for the other players if/when it comes up)

beyond that, it's more murky

2) Sidhe Elf (High Elf) Paladin of the god(ess) of light.

3) Halfling Shadow Rogue. (She can meld into any shadow to become invisible and do other tricks in darkness).

4) Half-Ogre Huntress. With her companion Raptor. Archer type :D

The last 3 are doable with your current setup.(though the half ogre may be pushing things..) I just need to finalize their writeups. :D I don't play many human when I do fantasy. I would have to think about it more to play one.

1) Well, a matchlock could certainly be haunted by its former owner, but said owner wouldn't quite know how to 'magic it', either (Ie., still be +1 step up the 'rare' ladder). It is a workable concept, within the framework.

2) Actual Fairies would, at best, be an unknown and uncertain quantity in a game like this - Rather like the legends. Your character would tend to be a source of, rather than relief for, fear.

3) Halflings are 'ordinary' enough that they'd be easiest to slip into a horror game. Shadow-melding, however, would tend to get adverse reactions if done near folks already uncertain near monsters. Playable, with the note that you'd have to play low-key or your character would be faced with suspicion.

4) ..."You're going to have to park that outside city limits..." Again, you'd tend to be a source of, rather than relief for, fear.

Aside from the advisories, one of my main concerns is immersion - Horror gaming depends on immersion of the player into the setting (Although not on horrifying the *Players*)

If your character's fears are literally non-human fears, it could be difficult to immerse. If that isn't a concern for you, then a lot of my concern is satisfied.

To analyise further;

I'd say 1) is playable straight; religion would largely play into how people would react. The city has a number of religions, most of which have some variety of 'Honoured' and 'Dishonoured' dead/afterlife, so their own views would colour how they react.

2) Is pretty near unplayable; people would be right up to downright terrified you're here to 'steal babies/rip out sensory organs and turn them into music/pay hell with stolen/bargained souls/as a scout for a 'wild hunt'/on a wild hunt/something they can't imagine, but *Know* is going to be bad'.

3) Halflings are 'just ordinary folk, only short' to most humans, so no problem there. Being able to manipulate shadows is the 'fear' problem, and only if it gets out. Even so, people do expect adventurers to be at least a little strange, so there's some cushion.

4) Ogres have a tendency to kill and eat people. A half-ogre would be a bit out of context for most people. Add in a Raptor (I presume you mean dinosaur) and reactions head straight for fear.

If the character has not been turned in yet, my guess is Tasha will not be around.

I'll check the boards in about an hour and if there's nothing then I guess we needn't bother.

Sorry was out of town. This is not the genre that I enjoy. I am not really into horror stuff, I am more of an action-fantasy person. I kind of enjoy my more or less traditional High Fantasy (ie D&D style non-humans etc). Thanks for answering my questions. I am really sorry for not getting back to you sooner with my decision.

Tasha

Late medieval technology. Very few non-humans around this area. Alchemy and early firearms are very unpredictable (and so are ice mages, it seems.)

From what little I've been able to play, it's been fun so far. It would be nice to get it started again.

Yeah, I'm starting to get 'almost-started burnoutitus'. :(

Creating a character is pretty free-form, within the guidelines. To be honest, it's because *I* get bored out of my skull reading most campaign backgrounds. A setting should be easily understandable or be unique enough to be interesting of itself.

Anyway, sounds like an awesome character concept. As for religions, the city is both a hotbed of religions and cosmopolitan about it.