4E Champions question. :o

Ragdoll

Just found my 'old' BBB! It's falling apart, but it's still all there. The add for the turtle armor, the villain and hero write ups, etc, etc.

One thing I did notice though. The 4e Champions, not a single one of them have Code Vs. Killing.

Totally absent. >.>

Anyone hazard a guess as to why? =?

Re: 4E Champions question. :o

I dunno...I don't consider Code vs Kill a manditory limit for a hero...if you do take "the code" it means amoung other things that you start combats with minimal force and ratchet it up slowly, so as to avoid accidentally killing.

If you like to start combat from suprise with a "Pushed Move Through baby!!" then Code vs kill is not for you...

Lacking Code vs Kill does not equal "casual Killer", thats a "code" as well, with it's own 'issues"....

Code Versus Killing means you won't use lethal force under any circumstances, including war, self-defense, defense of innocents, and so forth. Not having a CvK means you're willing to do that much -- more or less an average person's attitude on lethal force. If a hero (or anti-hero, or vigilante, or other character) is notably less stringent than average, that's Casual Killer.

So, basically, the 4th Ed Champions would be prepared to use lethal force in appropriate circumstances, roughly the same as soldiers or police officers.

Does that help?

Code Versus Killing means you won't use lethal force under any circumstances, including war, self-defense, defense of innocents, and so forth. Not having a CvK means you're willing to do that much -- more or less an average person's attitude on lethal force. If a hero (or anti-hero, or vigilante, or other character) is notably less stringent than average, that's Casual Killer.

So, basically, the 4th Ed Champions would be prepared to use lethal force in appropriate circumstances, roughly the same as soldiers or police officers.

Does that help?

Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks. :)

I parse it out a little more, not to say that there is any one better way of handling it. I would say that a character with no limitation in this area is free to behave as any person would in the same situation: according to the rules of engagement and dynamics of the encounter. I do not believe that the average person has much of an innate compunction about killing in a life or death situation. That gets trained into you by your upbringing, religious or otherwise.

A character in my games can have CVK, which is total abhorence to the concept, but they can also have that same aversion at lower levels. I use terms like "Reluctant to Kill" or "Avoids Killing" to represent Strong and Minor limitations as opposed to a Total limit.

On the other side of the spectrum, I use Casual Killer to represent the guy who goes out of his/her way for a body count, despite the rules of engangement.

To me, there is generally no need to give a character a total CVK for the character to be a superhero unless you are playing a very Silver Age game.

Code Versus Killing means you won't use lethal force under any circumstances' date=' including war, self-defense, defense of innocents, and so forth. Not having a CvK means you're willing to do that much -- more or less an average person's attitude on lethal force. If a hero (or anti-hero, or vigilante, or other character) is notably less stringent than average, that's Casual Killer.[/quote']

Or Vigilante Mentality. Casual Killer means the character will resort to lethal force early and often and not really care about the consequences thereof. VM, OTOH, means they'll be more willing than Joe Average to ice someone who (in their mind) deserves to be iced, but they don't necessarily go around just killing people purely on a whim.

Or Vigilante Mentality. Casual Killer means the character will resort to lethal force early and often and not really care about the consequences thereof. VM' date=' OTOH, means they'll be more willing than Joe Average to ice someone who (in their mind) deserves to be iced, but they don't necessarily go around just killing people purely on a whim.[/quote']Well said.:thumbup: