Making up a current Day Germany for Champions.....

Black Ops

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Making up a current Day Germany for Champions.....

Actually...no, you obviously thought I could contribute something to this thread and I am not aware of that. So I'd like to know. I wasn't trying to make fun. Was it the mere fact that I am German too?

And BTW, Black Ops, I posted some German heroes and a story arc for them in the A DC Animated Style Heromachine thread.

Actually...no' date=' you obviously thought I could contribute something to this thread and I am not aware of that. So I'd like to know. I wasn't trying to make fun. Was it the mere fact that I am German too?[/quote']

Yes, essentially. Mistakenly or not, I consider you our resident expert on German matters. :o

And Black Ops, I know I got the acronym muddled up. Sorry 'bout that.

With mushrooms ?

How barbaric!

My Sargent spent about a week with the German troops, and decided that he enjoyed the German MRE's (Meals, Ready to Eat) better than the American ones, however they had less variety than we did.

So he came back and said the selection was:

German MRE #1 Schnitzel

German MRE #2 Schnitzel

German MRE #3 Schnitzel

German MRE #4 Schnitzel

German MRE #5 Schnitzel

German MRE #6 Schnitzel

German MRE #7 Schnitzel

German MRE #8 Schnitzel

German MRE #9 Schnitzel

German MRE #10 Schnitzel

German MRE #11.......

.....Jaeger Schnitzel!

German MRE #12 Schnitzel

German MRE #13 Schnitzel

German MRE #14 Schnitzel

German MRE #15 Schnitzel... and on... sometimes he'd take a while to tell this to people.

Current American MRE menu: http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/menu-xxix-2009.html

24 "flavors"

I like the G3, I really like the red dot, especially that battery-saving window up top (I got to be the "Host Sgt." for the Fallschirmjäger when they came over to the 82nd Abn, as opposed to the 2 years I spent in Germany where I never saw one German soldier :nonp: ). The only real problem I had with (any H&K product actually) is, I think I have short thumbs, and I can't move the selecter switch without taking my finger off the trigger (I can do this on the M-16 and the M-4 easily). I know it's nit-picky, but I just don't like that.

Also, I did get to try a German MRE, and they are fantastic... seriously.

My first 113 in Germany (before we switched from the 4.2" morter, to the 120mm) was from before Korea, it still had slots for holding your "7.62 rifle" wasn't even modified to hold the M16 at all, heck, they still hadn't even changed the sticker to say anything different than "7.62 rifle."

I remember seeing a pic of a German soldier (I think in "Jane's Infantry Weapons") and he was carrying an Uzi - with a solid stock, yet.

Isn't everyone using the G36 now? I remember I once sketched a bullpup version of it and called it the G38. :help:

I remember seeing a pic of a German soldier (I think in "Jane's Infantry Weapons") and he was carrying an Uzi - with a solid stock, yet.

Isn't everyone using the G36 now? I remember I once sketched a bullpup version of it and called it the G38. :help:

There is also the G36c which is more like the M4 variant of our M16, carbine, and collapseable stock, or folding, as is the case in the G36c.

My zwei pfennig's worth:

I run a European Champions universe, which is NATO-sanctioned. In my game, Europe has many superheroes, although not as many as the US. (including some American heroes not really wanted in their own country and some who have been assigned by the US Armed Forces). The group has two German superheroes (three, if you include their non-player character chief, who rarely appears except in rescue operations). Everyone seems to enjoy it because it lets me run unknown villains, as well as very well-known ones, and gets them out of their US "comfort zone".

An idea I've been knocking around, and offer it to you free of charge: Rather than Hitler in the 1930's, Germany was headed by the most popular man there in 1933: noted businessman Hugo Eckener, the head of the Zeppelin Company. (This was actually proposed, and if he had accepted, he'd been hard to stop, even by Hitler.) With him, Germany gradually rebuilt its armed forces and retook occupied territories but without succumbing to the level of fascist militarism that brought it later to grief. Instead, they had to defend itself against Soviet invasion in the middle 1940's, losing many of its eastern lands but retaining its overall integrity (it also found fast allies in Britain and the United States). This allows the same nasty proto-Nazis to be killed off while allowing for a free and more advanced democracy. WWII was also fought in Asia at that time.

Setting your game in this alternate universe could allow for lots of strange developments (Einstein-designed German-American atom bombs, from a "Manhattan Projekt"? Mega-zeppelins hauling UNTIL troopers to hot-spots? Unrepentant Nazi Party Paranormal "Ubermenchen" in the 21st century?) while allowing for a break with the past free of bad conscience. You could also stick in some "Tesla-Tech" items or more advanced super-technology than what we have today.

Here are a few suggestions:

1. Use the Champions Universe as a basis, but don't hew too closely to it. If you think each German State would have its own superhero team, go for it!

2. Don't be afraid to crib from others' ideas, either published or unpublished. Theme? Fine. (The Deutche X-Manner? Cool!) Players have an idea? Good too, so long as they don't get carried away.

Oh I have done occasional alternate Time lines, but just not for Supers. As I mentioned somewhere I wanted to stay close to "canon".

(It was for Pulp. I might post said Timeline one Day if I am terminally bored.)

Thank you anyway for your input.