Making up a current Day Germany for Champions.....

Black Ops

Re: Making up a current Day Germany for Champions.....

So the plot would be defeat the beastie' date=' trace it back to scientist battle him and then find out about the viper plot. Race back to the Wies'n and battle viper just before they switch the beer with the infected brew.[/quote']

Your plot falls just one Bob and Doug McKenzie short of a Strange Brew. Repped! :thumbup:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the next one.

To be honest she makes me worry :

I am unsure if I should allow her. Any Ideas ?

I know the Player, the Punk attitude makes me worry but he is a capable sniper, networker. But is he able to hide ?

She is extremely vulnerable to attack. She better hide or she'll be toast. Being wished off to Harlaching Hospital in a yellow ADAC helicopter can't be that much fun every scenario.

I would suggest a small force field in her mental powers pool and perhaps switching to a Multipower instead of Elemental control as she has 3 Ego attack powers and not really like to want to or able to use them all at once.

How is very small and thin impairing when she has 11 strength?

She is extremely vulnerable to attack. She better hide or she'll be toast. Being wished off to Harlaching Hospital in a yellow ADAC helicopter can't be that much fun every scenario.

I would suggest a small force field in her mental powers pool and perhaps switching to a Multipower instead of Elemental control as she has 3 Ego attack powers and not really like to want to or able to use them all at once.

How is very small and thin impairing when she has 11 strength?

I think she is too vulnerable too.

I think she is asking for a revision.

I will have a few words with the player.

Well first session was yesterday.

...... and it was the usual disaster.

Two of the guys did not bring their promised characters.

Anjas Player insisted on her being fine, so I made two characters and decided to do a testrun to familiarize people with the combat system.

The Enemy ?

Three Viper 5 Teams.

Results ?

Murx and the two others did relatively well, Anja was paste.:thumbdown

(Ok. I equiped the Teams with some antipsionic equipment, but nothing fancy, just stuff from the Viper book.)

On the bright side, Anja will be revised, my players have tasted some blood and we finally got something I had really dreaded: The Costume Issue....

They decided to wear none, just standard police Overalls and balaclavas.:help:

I will publish a revised Anja and the two others sometime later this week.

It is pretty hard to pitch any kind of superhero game here.

(Very odd, considering how much they like "High" fantasy. Most "High" Fantasy characters are in my opinion nothing less then supers in loincloths.)

(Atlantean Age I look at you !)

The only now "paranormal" stuff most german comic readers are familiar with are some mangas, who have not much to do with superheroic stuff. If they even sunk that low.

Comics are for the kiddies is a popular opinion here.

If I were talking with Anja's player this is what I would suggest:

EC becomes a Multipower

Ranged levels reduced to mental powers only (pistol is mostly a holdout, a JIC)

Used points saved to buy a TK slot in MP (this is to justify) and a TK force field outside the MP.

This will also later allow flight.

If this is unacceptable the MP, Ranged level reduction and get Combat Luck representing those tingle she may get before someone/thing shoots her.

It is pretty hard to pitch any kind of superhero game here.

(Very odd, considering how much they like "High" fantasy. Most "High" Fantasy characters are in my opinion nothing less then supers in loincloths.)

(Atlantean Age I look at you !)

The only now "paranormal" stuff most german comic readers are familiar with are some mangas, who have not much to do with superheroic stuff. If they even sunk that low.

i agree about fantasy games being super-hero stories in other dimensions dungeons &dragons the animated series is the perfect example as for other genres aren't movies like spider-man or batman popular in germany?

i agree about fantasy games being super-hero stories in other dimensions dungeons &dragons the animated series is the perfect example as for other genres aren't movies like spider-man or batman popular in germany?

I don't know about Germany, but in Denmark, superhero films and comics are popular, but not wildly popular. Danes are big on movie-going (even more than Americans), but in Denmark last year, the most popular film was "Flammen og Citronen" (The Flame and the Citroen): a drama about two resistance fighters in WW2 - and it sold roughly twice as many tickets as either of the new batman movies here. I've seen it - it's pretty good. The big hit this year is "Mænd der hader Kvinder" (Men that hate women) a drama based on a popular swedish novel. Most of the big hits here are dramas, with the "summer blockbuster" movies doing respectable business, but not topping the charts.

The same applies to comics. Superhero comics are still big business, but they make up much less than half of the comics sold here.

cheers, Mark

If I were talking with Anja's player this is what I would suggest:

EC becomes a Multipower

Ranged levels reduced to mental powers only (pistol is mostly a holdout, a JIC)

Used points saved to buy a TK slot in MP (this is to justify) and a TK force field outside the MP.

This will also later allow flight.

If this is unacceptable the MP, Ranged level reduction and get Combat Luck representing those tingle she may get before someone/thing shoots her.

A pretty sensible take.

But we will see.

I meet Anjas Player tomorrow.

Location Scout Germany:

The Wadden Sea: a fight during low tide and the water slowly returning could be a great scene, especially with no flyers in the team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadden_Sea

perhaps they'll discover the remnants of the lost city of Rungholt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rungholt

the lighthouse of Westerhever would also be great

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leuchtturm_Westerheversand

just to give them some place to adventure outside of Bavaria :D

Another location: the Externsteine.

The scenarios pretty much write themselves. Basically, you have a mystic and/or a cult calling on dark powers. There might be a human sacrifice to rescue, or you might have had a McGuffin chase beforehand.

The PCs have to arrive in time to prevent Bad Things from happening, and will still have to fight the Big Bad anyway. Although, hopefully, not the Even Bigger Bad.

By the way, I own a German version of an old Legion of Superheroes story. I got it when I visited Germany as a kid. It was just one story in a collection of stuff from various sources, and was the only superhero story.

It's a cool story, too, although translating it is a bit of a pain. My German is... limited. I studied it for three years 32 years ago, and wasn't all that interested at the time.

Location Scout Germany:

The Wadden Sea: a fight during low tide and the water slowly returning could be a great scene, especially with no flyers in the team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadden_Sea

perhaps they'll discover the remnants of the lost city of Rungholt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rungholt

the lighthouse of Westerhever would also be great

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leuchtturm_Westerheversand

just to give them some place to adventure outside of Bavaria :D

;)

Rungholt ? Sounds like a good place for a Viper Base.....

You must blah blah blah........

(Same to Assault)

Another thought: milk cop shows for plots. Crimes that happen on TV can happen in your game.

In Australia, the Austrian show Kommissar Rex is a big hit.

It has most of the things that a Bavaria-based game could use - a modern city with a whole bunch of neat historical locations.

Another random thought: Ludwig the Mad. If there's not a scenario there I'll eat my boot.

If there aren't old churches with interesting catacombs, there could be. A quick stroke of a pen is all it would need to create them.

I wish Australia had such a milkable history.

You might have gotten me wrong.

I was trying to get some backround together for a Germany in a Superhero Universe (Champions to be specific.).

I wanted to stay close to what was published and take our "national character" in. ( You might have noticed my b****** about my difficulty getting people playing supers).

I have alot of nasty Ideas which I can not post because at least one of my players is lurking here.

"National character" is extremely nebulous. Your players aren't - they're very concrete. They exist or they don't. They read/watch the stuff they read/watch. There's only so much you can do about that. Introducing them to cool stuff can be fun, of course.

I don't know you need all that much big picture "background". Plug in a few NPCs if you feel you need them, but generally speaking all you need is enough stuff to support the basic themes of your campaign.

So what is your game about? Have you discussed it with your players? Are you running the game they want to play? Blah blah blah...

Mainly, what is your game about?

"National character" is extremely nebulous. Your players aren't - they're very concrete. They exist or they don't. They read/watch the stuff they read/watch. There's only so much you can do about that. Introducing them to cool stuff can be fun, of course.

I don't know you need all that much big picture "background". Plug in a few NPCs if you feel you need them, but generally speaking all you need is enough stuff to support the basic themes of your campaign.

So what is your game about? Have you discussed it with your players? Are you running the game they want to play? Blah blah blah...

Mainly, what is your game about?

Mainly my game is, as I mentioned somewhere above getting people playing superpowered characters who consider comic book characters childish...

So I need a lot of reasoning.

I had a fifth player who made a character controlling Rats. First thing he did, was using his power to rob a bank. I nearly gave up then......

But I still try getting them into the game.

It might not be worth the effort. If they don't really want to play it, there's no point in trying to make them want to.

That said, try playing it for laughs, at least to some extent. There's plenty of absurdity in the superhero genre. Try them with both the grim and gritty stuff, and the flying monkeys. Even if they don't respond to one, they might to the other.

Mainly my game is, as I mentioned somewhere above getting people playing superpowered characters who consider comic book characters childish...

I had a fifth player who made a character controlling Rats. First thing he did, was using his power to rob a bank. I nearly gave up then......

are you and your players famiar with te tv series HEROES?perhaps you can take a cue from that

How do rats rob banks? I doubt if they could chew through the reinforced floors/ walls and would certainly set off the IR/motion detectors etc. Especially if there were a swarm of them.

I can only imagine they could pull it off during working hours and then witnesses press would get involved. You should have a proper super or Detective investigate it.

In other words, it was a supervillain plot, which would attract the attention of a superhero.

That's interesting, but it means the game is a supervillain game rather than a superhero one. That could involve a bit of a change in mindset - especially if the heroes ultimately win.

As long as the body count is kept to zero, a villain game is fine. Otherwise, you have to point out exactly what the PCs are doing - keep track of the body count, the number of kidnappings and other atrocities, and so on. Then ask the players - do they really want to play serial killers?