Gradual Effect limitation: how do I convert it to 6th ed?

Xavier Onassiss

Re: Gradual Effect limitation: how do I convert it to 6th ed?

You look at it from the otherside of the equasion now, it is an advantage on the amount of damage you do, called Damage over time

Where it use to be a 6d6 RKA that worked over 6 periods, now it is 1d6 6 times

Is there any similar modifier for non-damaging powers? How would I write up a teleport power with a delay between the time the character disappears from his point of origin and reappears at his destination? I used to do this with gradual effect (extra time doesn't seem quite right) but now I don't know.

Thanks again,

X.O.

Is there any similar modifier for non-damaging powers? How would I write up a teleport power with a delay between the time the character disappears from his point of origin and reappears at his destination? I used to do this with gradual effect (extra time doesn't seem quite right) but now I don't know.

Link the Teleport to EDM: Time Travel, Futurewards Only.

If you always vanished, waited a phase, then re-appeared, I'd just have it down as sfx, or a +0 - as often it will be useful as a problem. For longer periods then I can see how it would be a problem, so would be worth a limitation, perhaps -1/2 for 1 turn, more as you move down the time chart. If you wanted to vary the time in transit with each sue, that could well be an advantage: again a custom advantage, perhaps +1/4 or +1/2.

Hmm. Well, while you can't be targeted or perceived during that time, you also presumably can't act or perceive. The latter could possibly be covered by Extra Time and Concentration. Is the former worth enough of an advantage to qualify as an Advantage or extra linked-in Power, or is it merely sufficient to offset the value of the Limitations? Hmm.

Thanks for the replies so far. Let's get into some more specifics.

I'm updating the 5e rules for the stardrive in my Star Hero campaign. It uses traversable wormholes, which are created by the ship's drive and limited in length. Traversing the 'hole takes a few weeks.

This is mega-scale teleportation: one meter equals a light-year. The maximum allowed wormhole length (in light years) equals the tech level. (In this campaign, ten.) The effective speed is about 100C; call it one week per two light years. So a ten light year trip would take about five weeks. (It's rather slow by most SF standards!)

During transit, the ship is completely isolated in the wormhole -- it doesn't interact with the 'normal' universe, or with any other wormholes.

In 5th ed, I applied the gradual effect limitation (1 week) to simulate this. For 6th ed, I'm not sure what's best. Linking it to XDM seems kind of overcomplicated, especially considering the 'wormhole' is really just a special effect to explain the teleportation.

X.O.

I've always just used Extra Time, pretty much the builds in Star Hero, and just decided the Power activated and then ended when the Extra Time bit was up. Don't see a reason for anything else.

Even Gradual Effect wouldn't technically do exactly what you've described, it'd still require the decision that while the Power was activated the ship wasn't interacting.

I've always just used Extra Time, pretty much the builds in Star Hero, and just decided the Power activated and then ended when the Extra Time bit was up. Don't see a reason for anything else.

I'm okay with this. However, I wasn't sure if such an interpretation of Extra Time would work. I'd forgotten anything in Star Hero was built this way -- I'll have another look there.

Thanx heaps,

X.O.

I'm okay with this. However, I wasn't sure if such an interpretation of Extra Time would work. I'd forgotten anything in Star Hero was built this way -- I'll have another look there.

Thanx heaps,

X.O.

Personaly in the past I have allowed teleportation to take continous. It would allow it to have unlimited range, but further away it was the longer the port took (so if you had 10" of TP, speed 5 and wanted to teleport 100" away it would take 2 turns to arrive)

Thanx heaps,

X.O.

I've personally never seen a reason why it couldn't or shouldn't.

In some places it makes sense to flip the "extra time" to the appropriate point.

Either as the total time involved for a Movement Power; the back end of the Power as a "recharge/reload" mechanism, or the standard front end of the power as a "power up/charge up" mechanism.

There's a lot of possibilities as long as things make sense. Sometimes the GM might decide to adjust the cost, sometimes not.

But yes, that's exactly how they're built in Star Hero with the implicit "the Extra Time is the actual total travel time" and if it makes sense (i.e. the travel can be stopped in the middle either mechanically or for dramatic purposes) divide the total distance across the increments of time to determine how far each increment gets you.