Escapist "High Adventure" column about Hero

Allen Varney

For the online gaming magazine The Escapist's "Days of High Adventure" column, about the early days of tabletop roleplaying, I have written an installment about the Hero System from the earliest days down to the Champions Online MMO. I quote Steve Long and Ray Greer, and Steve worked in a nice plug for this forum:

"The Age of Hero"

Re: Escapist "High Adventure" column about Hero

A very clear and coherent summation of events, as well as some tidbits of trivia I didn't know. I'm still chuckling over the image of Ray Greer going from trawling for fish to massaging Silicon Valley bigwigs. :D

I've always been struck by Allen Varney's obvious appreciation for HERO, considering that his professional association with it has been fairly limited. This is another of the veteran game designers and Hero Games contributors whom I'd love to see writing for the current game. (As I've said before, I greatly respect Steve Long's writing talent, but I enjoy reading other authors' takes on the system and its worlds.)

(As I've said before' date=' I greatly respect Steve Long's writing talent, but I enjoy reading other authors' takes on the system and its worlds.)[/quote']If Steve would let me, I'd be absolutely thrilled to write the new Hero System Vehicles book -- especially if I get more time to finish it, do proper research (which I'm now much better at than I was when I wrote TUV), and so forth.

But I guess I'll be focusing on other things instead....:straight:

Guys, remember that books produced by freelancers cost more than books done entirely in-house. It's not necessarily about Steve being some greedy writing ogre who wants every word to be his own. Strictly from a fiscal standpoint, it makes all the sense in the world to use Steve's "wunderkind" abilities (as Allen described them) as much as possible...

Guys' date=' remember that books produced by freelancers cost more than books done entirely in-house. It's not necessarily about Steve being some greedy writing ogre who wants every word to be his own. Strictly from a fiscal standpoint, it makes all the sense in the world to use Steve's "wunderkind" abilities (as Allen described them) as much as possible...[/quote']Yeah, that's fair enough.

Not less of a bummer, though.

Guys' date=' remember that books produced by freelancers cost more than books done entirely in-house. It's not necessarily about Steve being some greedy writing ogre who wants every word to be his own. Strictly from a fiscal standpoint, it makes all the sense in the world to use Steve's "wunderkind" abilities (as Allen described them) as much as possible...[/quote']

In fairness Steve has offten said that when using another writer (In house or not) that he goes back through and basicaly does a lot of extra work, so the savings on his time is limited (which would be the biggest incentive to using freelancers I imagine)

A very clear and coherent summation of events' date=' as well as some tidbits of trivia I didn't know. I'm still chuckling over the image of Ray Greer going from trawling for fish to massaging Silicon Valley bigwigs. :D[/quote']

I echo this, much resoundingly so. My hat off to you, Allen Varney.:thumbup:

FWIW, I still look to Mystic Masters for some issues that you covered better than the Ultimate Mystic, and Horror World is still something my players talk about.

I've always been struck by Allen Varney's obvious appreciation for HERO' date=' considering that his professional association with it has been fairly limited. This is another of the veteran game designers and Hero Games contributors whom I'd love to see writing for the current game. (As I've said before, I greatly respect Steve Long's writing talent, but I enjoy reading other authors' takes on the system and its worlds.)[/quote']

Agreed, but we will probably see such material published through BlackWyrm and others, which satisfies me pretty well. :)

FWIW' date=' I still look to Mystic Masters for some issues that you covered better than the Ultimate Mystic, and Horror World is still something my players talk about.[/quote']

Two of the most ingenious and memorable creations for Fourth Edition IMHO. :hail:

Speaking of Horror World/ Anopheles, given Mr. Varney's proven writing chops for the horror genre, his familiarity with HERO System, and Steve Long having said he's not familiar enough with the genre to write a full source book for it; if I could choose who to pen Horror HERO for Sixth Edition, Allen would be at the top of my list. :king:

if I could choose who to pen Horror HERO for Sixth Edition' date=' Allen would be at the top of my list. :king:[/quote']

I would just farm the book out to Kenneth Hite and then steal the credit. "Really," I'd say with a charming, self-effacing humility, "anyone could do it."

Two of the most ingenious and memorable creations for Fourth Edition IMHO. :hail:

Speaking of Horror World/ Anopheles, given Mr. Varney's proven writing chops for the horror genre, his familiarity with HERO System, and Steve Long having said he's not familiar enough with the genre to write a full source book for it; if I could choose who to pen Horror HERO for Sixth Edition, Allen would be at the top of my list. :king:

Oh, now I find myself dittoing you again.:D

I would just farm the book out to Kenneth Hite and then steal the credit. "Really' date='" I'd say with a charming, self-effacing humility, "anyone could do it."[/quote']

Hey, Hite has the "horror" part down, no question; but I want "HERO" cred too. You, sir, are the whole package.