One roll to rule them all (6E)

Crypt

This is an updated and expanded version of a house rule i used with H5E.

http://cryptmaster.free.fr/site/HERO/chart_6E.php

It may look complex but actually it's not.

It works on several modifications, let me explain it =>

- First it supposes you use a roll high version for resolutions.

Substract 11 from your scores. eg: a 14- becomes a +3.

- Second it's centered on 0.

3D6 is replaced by 2D-2D so it needs 2 dices of one color and 2 other of another color. One color for negative dices, one color for positive dices.

Let's say you roll -4 -2 +3 +1 = -2

It's open-ended. Each -6 or +6 has 1/2 chance to become a -7 or +7 which in turn has 1/2 chance ti become a -8 or +8 and so on.

(note: i may give you the resulting statistics if you want.)

For instance: you roll -3-6+6+6, the -6 +6 +6 each has 1/2 chance to become a -7 or +7. Reroll those three dices. (Note: 1/2 chance = 4+) For instance -4 +1 +6 = the first -6 becomes a -7, the first +6 stay the same, the second +6 becomes a +7. We reroll the two remaining opened rolls. -5 +1 => the -7 becomes a -8, the +7 stay the same. Reroll the -8 = -2 so we stop here.

Total = -3-6+6+6 -1 +1 -1 = +2.

Despite the appareance this is quite intuitive and fast. (believe me...)

Then add your roll to you basic capacity, whatever it is, and add any modifiers.

Eg: Your skill : +3; your roll +2; external modifiers : -4 ; total = +1.

To succeed the total must be equal to 0 or superior.

Well now i may explain the table.

Its purposes is to merge action rolls and effect rolls in one unique roll.

Let's concentrate on the two major informations which are the dice column and the roll line. I think you see the dice column. The roll line goes from -10 to +20. (Don't look the Fumble line now)

Example =

Imagine you use a 4D killing weapon.

Your skill : +3; you roll +2; external modifiers (DCV, etc) : -4 ; total = +1.

The total is equal or superior to 0 so this is a hit.

The pure roll (without any modification) was a +2. This information is used to get the value of the 4DK weapon without having to roll it.

Look at the 4D line. Cross with the +2 column. => you may see two lines and four numbers. 16/5 and 32/16. The first line is for Normal damages. The second line is for Killing damages. The first number is for STUN, the second is for BODY. Here we need killing results so the result is 32/16 which means 32 STUN and 16 BODY.

If it was a 4DN attack then the result would be 16 STUN and 5 BODY.

NOTES: you may see that:

- the -10 column gives the minimum result.

- the 0 column gives the average result

- the +10 column gives the maximum result

- the NS and KB of the +6 column give the active points of the effect.

- the +20 column is equal to the +6 column added to the +10 column.

Now let's explain the Fumble line.

When rolling 2D-2D a -10 or worse final roll is a fumble.

For instance: -6-6+2+1 -1-1-1-1-1 = -14 is a fumble.

Cross this roll on the Fumble line with the Dice column.

For instance 5DN and -14 => the NS (or KB) value gives the active points of the fumble. Here this is 23 active points. So it may be 4D1/2 dices of normal damage, 2D1/2 normal NND or any combination you like (not necessary damages.)

The same -14 with a 2DK => use the 30 AP line (6D) instead of the 2D line.

=> 27 active points of fumble.

Re: One roll to rule them all (6E)

The idea of combining the roll with the affect is appealing in many ways, but I personally don't like having to reference tables all the time. It may be a personal failing of mine, but I already spend too much time shuffling papers around while gaming without having another table to refer to all the time.

It does seem fairly simple and straight forward----

and weirdly familiar. Was there an inspirational source, by any chance?

It's not something I'd adopt personally, but honestly, I haven't adopted a new version of HERO in a generation or so. :lol:

Like Spoon, I'm not big on thumbing through charts, and a weapons game would have a wide variety of attacks to keep track of. Mostly, though, I think my players and I would just miss rolling that big ol' cup a' dammage. :D

There's simpler: take the number you rolled to hit, and multiply by DC/3.

I know that is a bit different, but BETTER different, and the only acceptable way to do 'high skill causes more damage' without completely overturning the game balance, if you think about it. Even then the whole concept is a bit dodgy in Hero.

Example: you are using a 9DC attack and roll 12 to hit. You do 36 Stun. If you rolled 8 to hit, you would do 24 Stun.

No lookup charts!

Was there an inspirational source' date=' by any chance?[/quote']

None i am clearly conscious about.

Maybe MEGS or another system where action and effect are linked.

There's simpler: take the number you rolled to hit, and multiply by DC/3.

I know that is a bit different, but BETTER different, and the only acceptable way to do 'high skill causes more damage' without completely overturning the game balance, if you think about it. Even then the whole concept is a bit dodgy in Hero.

Example: you are using a 9DC attack and roll 12 to hit. You do 36 Stun. If you rolled 8 to hit, you would do 24 Stun.

No lookup charts!

I like charts :D, that's better than dividing on the fly IMHO and i will keep using a zero centered rolling method.

I like charts :D, that's better than dividing on the fly IMHO and i will keep using a zero centered rolling method.

This is a method that rewards skill without making it the overwhelming factor: actual rolls can only be high if you have superior skill - even the superior warrior can hit with a glancing blow. This is a zero centred rolling method if the warriors are equal: if they are not then the inferior will never manage a superior hit, unless they use tactics to weigh the odds in their favour...and fortune smiles on them.

Also you can make a chart of it if you like. It is a distressingly straightforward chart, I accept, but you can make it much more complicated with little effort. I've used 1/2/4/8 DCs as you just read across and add. This is based on the 5e Killing Attack, at least the Stun of KAs is. You could halve those numbers, if you were in the mood.