moving Darkness

LordGhee

Re: moving Darkness

Absolutely right but seems excessive as it is already an attack power :)

The way I've always played it is that AoEs target (and if constant, remain on) what they are targeted at.

Generally an AoE will be targeted at a hex because it is easier to hit than a character, however there is no good reason why an AoE should not be targeted on a character. You can specifically target yourself and have it move with you, why not someone else? If the attack roll misses, use the normal scatter rules: if it does not, it has hit the character target and will move with them.

That seems to me to make much more sense than the rules as written.

To a large extent though, it is irrelevant that darkness needs UAA, from a utility PoV: you are never going to need to extend the radius, so you can always buy the minimum amount: 10 points (one hex) and then UAA (making it 20 points) and you have a sort of permanent flash, so maybe the RAW makes some sense after all.

Now as a GM, I'd want to know how this power is supposed to actually work in-game, and I may completely disallow it because, for 50 points (including the UAA cost) you could make someone unable to sense with any of the normal human sense GROUPS, for as long as you care to pay END. You'd have to work hard to convince me the power would ever be appropriate for a player character, whatever the cost.

In some games I might requier the additional Mobile part of the Area of Effect Advantage to be added in. If that's not required in a game, or once it's been added in, simply targeting a character/object rather than a hex should do it IMO.

I don't view it as a permanent Flash. It protects the target as well as blinding them, and can also block the perception of obstacles, terrain, objects, and other characters near them. That's neither a bonus nor a restriction unless used with careful tactics, and even then opponents will usually be able to take advantage of the effect to their tactical benefit as well. Works fine IMO. For example, if a target can Grab one of your team, they've included them in the Darkness as well....

Okay. How's this? :P

Summon Clinging Darkness

Summon: 285-point Dark Cling Monster, Amicable: Friendly (+1/4) [71 Active, 71 Real]
(Add activation Limitations to taste)

Dark Cling Monster

Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Ego 10, Pre 10

OCV 10, DCV 3, OMCV 3, DMCV 3, Spd 6, PD 2, ED 2

Rec 4, End 20, Body 10, Stun 20

Desolidification: harmed by all Darkness-cancelling effects; Reduced Endurance: 0 End (+1/2); Persistent (+1/4); Inherent (+1/4) [80 Active]; Always On (-1/2) [53 Real]

Clinging: 40 Str total; Affects Physical World (+2) [60 Active, 60 Real]

Darkness: Sight Group, 2m radius; Affects Physical World (+2); Reduced Endurance: 0 End (+1/2); Persistent (+1/4); Inherent (+1/4) [40 Active]; No Range (-1/2); Always On (-1/2) [20 Real]

Spatial Awareness: blocked by solid physical obstacles [32 Active, 32 Real]

Life Support: Full [35 Active, 35 Real]

Flight: 10m [10 Active, 10 Real]

Susceptibility: negative Darkness-affecting Adjustment Powers convert their Active Points to DCs of damage (Uncommon, Instant, ~3d6)

Total Points: 285

Okay. How's this? :P

Summon Clinging Darkness

Summon: 285-point Dark Cling Monster, Amicable: Friendly (+1/4) [71 Active, 71 Real]
(Add activation Limitations to taste)

Dark Cling Monster

Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Ego 10, Pre 10

OCV 10, DCV 3, OMCV 3, DMCV 3, Spd 6, PD 2, ED 2

Rec 4, End 20, Body 10, Stun 20

Desolidification: harmed by all Darkness-cancelling effects; Reduced Endurance: 0 End (+1/2); Persistent (+1/4); Inherent (+1/4) [80 Active]; Always On (-1/2) [53 Real]

Clinging: 40 Str total; Affects Physical World (+2) [60 Active, 60 Real]

Darkness: Sight Group, 2m radius; Affects Physical World (+2); Reduced Endurance: 0 End (+1/2); Persistent (+1/4); Inherent (+1/4) [40 Active]; No Range (-1/2); Always On (-1/2) [20 Real]

Spatial Awareness: blocked by solid physical obstacles [32 Active, 32 Real]

Life Support: Full [35 Active, 35 Real]

Flight: 10m [10 Active, 10 Real]

Susceptibility: negative Darkness-affecting Adjustment Powers convert their Active Points to DCs of damage (Uncommon, Instant, ~3d6)

Total Points: 285

You could also build a "Clinging Darkness" like this:

Extra-Dimensional Movement (Dimension with no Sensory Effects) + Useable At Attack, Ranged (+1 1/2) - Target's Body Occupies Both Dimensions(-0)