Followers/Summon is now a lot more expensive

Alcamtar

In 5E, you paid only for the base points of followers, not including disadvantage points. In 6E, you pay for followers based on total points, and complications don't reduce the cost.

That means a 50+50 point follower more than doubles in cost from 5E to 6E (especially after accounting for non-figured characteristics).

I imagine Summon works the same way now, but it's not included in the Basic Rules.

Re: Followers/Summon is now a lot more expensive

Summon has not changed from 5E: you have always paid 1 point for every 5 points of the Summoned creature, including Disadvantages (i.e. Total Points).

The other change to Followers that may help balance out is that they now no longer move to a 1:1 cost should the Follower be built with more points than the main Character (as rare as that was. . .).

Guest steamteck

In 5E, you paid only for the base points of followers, not including disadvantage points. In 6E, you pay for followers based on total points, and complications don't reduce the cost.

That means a 50+50 point follower more than doubles in cost from 5E to 6E (especially after accounting for non-figured characteristics).

I imagine Summon works the same way now, but it's not included in the Basic Rules.

I really hate having the idea of having to pay for the points generated by disadvantages for followers. Complications are actually slightly different animals as I understand it and without restructuring them back like like 5th edition disadvantages they don't actually give you more points they just "justify" the ones you have. Yeah summoning. always worked that way

I did not like having to take all the disadvantages for a summon in many cases. Though most GMs let it slide to some degree.

I was playing a animal summoner and by the "rules" by Tiger was a diseased gimpy tiger since a lot of animals got "animal XP", and I had to make up that XP with disads. Again, most GM's including me waived the restriction, having people only take the disads that made sense.

I really hate having the idea of having to pay for the points generated by disadvantages for followers. Complications are actually slightly different animals as I understand it and without restructuring them back like like 5th edition disadvantages they don't actually give you more points they just "justify" the ones you have. Yeah summoning. always worked that way

Yep. In 6E, taking fewer Complications gives you fewer points with which to build your character. In 5E, taking more Disadvantages gives you more points with which to build your character. They're nothing alike.

I did not like having to take all the disadvantages for a summon in many cases. Though most GMs let it slide to some degree.

I was playing a animal summoner and by the "rules" by Tiger was a diseased gimpy tiger since a lot of animals got "animal XP", and I had to make up that XP with disads. Again, most GM's including me waived the restriction, having people only take the disads that made sense.

Maybe I'm missing something. Couldn't you just buy a larger summon and include the XP in the rest of the points you are paying to be able to summon?

Maybe I'm missing something. Couldn't you just buy a larger summon and include the XP in the rest of the points you are paying to be able to summon?

It has nothing to do with the size of the Summon, since the Summon Points are based on the Summoned Creatures TOTAL.

It has to do with the idea that some GMs strictly enforce the idea that Summoned are built on the same Base+Disad Points that the Summoner is. Which is, IMO, a bad thing to enforce in this case.

It has nothing to do with the size of the Summon, since the Summon Points are based on the Summoned Creatures TOTAL.

It has to do with the idea that some GMs strictly enforce the idea that Summoned are built on the same Base+Disad Points that the Summoner is. Which is, IMO, a bad thing to enforce in this case.

Yeah, see I never did that either. I just built the Summon on whatever I thought the Summon should be and went from there. if I needed to reduce the Base/disad points I did.

I'm with you guys in not understanding why a GM would enforce that kind of point solution.