Considering an Alt with Munitions.

Twilight

I was hoping that somebody on this board could give me some suggestions concerning the most effective way to make a Munitions character effective. What would good choices for powers, particularly defensive powers and and such?

That's the part I'm unsure about of course, since I know I can think up a nice costume and origin for my character. Actually I could probably think up several nice costumes for my character but that's neither here nor there, lend a fellow Legion of Heroes member an assist please and thank you. :D

Re: Considering an Alt with Munitions.

Typically, Munitions characters go DEX/EGO for crits and Killer Instinct, since those are the recommended stats for the set. It's certainly not the only way to go, especially if you're not planning to concentrate mostly in munitions, however.

Having a large DEX investment suggests Lightning Reflexes as an effective passive defense. However, Lightning Reflexes needs a lot of DEX to work well, and you'd likely find it under-performs at lower character levels. Many people prefer regeneration at low to mid levels because it's a reliable source of healing, and is effectively multiplied by blocking. Bear in mind that regeneration tends to get overshadowed by other passives at high character levels, though.

Some of the more popular Munitions powers include Assault Rifle, Shotgun, Gatling Gun, and Lead Tempest. It's really hard to go very far wrong making a munitions character, though. The set is by no means the most powerful in the game, but it has relatively few stinkers; if you're planning to concentrate mostly in munitions, you'll be certain to come out with a usable build. Bear in mind, though, that munitions tends to have a lot of attacks and not much by way of utility powers, so if you want those you'll need to look into other sets.

Munitions has a gatling gun you can carry around yourself' date=' power armour has a shoulder-mounted minigun, and Gadgeteering has a pair of munitions bots that can transform into fixed-mount minigun turrets.[/quote']

It's so nice being spoiled for choices. :D

Will I need to choose a different attack for short range, or does Munitions have me covered there?

If you're looking for melee range' date=' Munitions has bullet ballet. Otherwise most munitions attacks are 50' or 100', with sniper rifle at 120'.[/quote']

Is Bullet Ballet any good, or would my close combat options be bettered served by something else?

Ironically, Two Gun Mojo probably the most "iconic" munitions power is pretty worthless. My suggestion is Retcon it out as soon as you leave the start zone, and then replace it with Assault Rifle. Combining AR with Mow 'em down means you get pretty unlimited spray-time, and can chew up most on-level henchmen in nothing flat.

For close ocmbat, you're better off simply spraying your ranged powers into their faceas then wasting time with Bullet Ballet.

I disagree that 2GM is worthless. In fact, since Assault Rifle has a cooldown, chaining together 2GM and AR makes for a non-stop rain of high DPS. Get them both up to Rank 3 and have Killer Instinct and so on, and a high EGO, and you can just keep doing this and doing this as your frequent crits keep replenishing your energy. :D

I have one 40 Muni toon and another that's like 18 IIRC. It's a way fun power set!

I disagree that 2GM is worthless. In fact, since Assault Rifle has a cooldown, chaining together 2GM and AR makes for a non-stop rain of high DPS. Get them both up to Rank 3 and have Killer Instinct and so on, and a high EGO, and you can just keep doing this and doing this as your frequent crits keep replenishing your energy. :D

I have one 40 Muni toon and another that's like 18 IIRC. It's a way fun power set!

I agree with this assessment. Hoot N Shoot is my munitions guy. He has 2GM. I have the advantage that does more damage the closer you are to the target. I like it.

I'd be interested on hearing people's thoughts on a good defence power for a munitions toon. Wanna keep my character in the land of the living as much as possible after all.

If you're a traditional dex/ego build, lightning reflexes. Alternately, just slot Quarry and your defense is 'kill them before they kill me'.

If you're a traditional dex/ego build' date=' lightning reflexes. Alternately, just slot Quarry and your defense is 'kill them before they kill me'.[/quote']

Does Lightning Reflexes stack well with anything? For example, if you got Lightning Reflexes and Regeneration would they go well together?

Does Lightning Reflexes stack well with anything? For example' date=' if you got Lightning Reflexes and Regeneration would they go well together?[/quote']

You only get one passive slot, and both LR and Regen go in the passive slot. I will say that Regen will be easiest at least through level 20.

Ironically' date=' [b']Two Gun Mojo [/b]probably the most "iconic" munitions power is pretty worthless. My suggestion is Retcon it out as soon as you leave the start zone, and then replace it with Assault Rifle

I'm going to have to disagree with you. 2GM allows mobility, has no cooldown, buffs you with Enrage if fully maintained, and from what I've read because of the multishot aspect it has more chances to proc with Killer Instinct than most other munition attacks. 2GM to rank 3 is a staple of my muni character. Don't be fooled by Close the Gap, lots of testing has gone into showing that Close The Gap is inferior to rank 3 about 90% of the time. Assault Rifle is also a great attack, it just has a different use in a muni build than 2GM.

For close combat' date=' you're better off simply spraying your ranged powers into their faces then wasting time with [b']Bullet Ballet[/b].

This I agree with. However, if you do find yourself in melee range more often than not, the Lead Tempest is both GREAT looking and good dps.

LR is the defense of choice at level 40, if you have a build with a reason to stack DEX. No other defense performs as well at high character levels, and as a mitigation defense it acts as a healing multiplier. However, it requires a lot of stat investment to work well, which is why people don't prefer it until you reach those high levels.

Regen is the opposite. It requires little stat investment, and works well at low levels where you're unlikely to have much in the way of self-protection other than your defensive passive, but loses its shine at high levels compared to mitigation-based defenses.

And after that it's not as good? Or am I reading to much into your statement?

Regen is never a bad defense, but it doesn't scale up as fast as damage, while LR actually scales up faster than damage. In general, you want both healing and mitigation, and there are more sources for healing than sources for mitigation.

If you're looking for melee range' date=' Munitions has bullet ballet. Otherwise most munitions attacks are 50' or 100', with sniper rifle at 120'.[/quote']

It's worth mentioning that powers don't have a minimum range. You can shove the barrel of your gatling gun into the hungry maw of some thing and lean on the trigger till one of you is dead.

Interuptable powers like sniper rifle are bad when something is wailing on you, but most munitions powers are fine.

AR vs. 2GM: they both work and do basically the same thing (single target maintain damage) Pick the one that looks best to you and have fun with it. AR has better range, but needs an advantage to be used full time.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. 2GM allows mobility' date=' has no cooldown, buffs you with Enrage if fully maintained, and from what I've read because of the multishot aspect it has more chances to proc with Killer Instinct than most other munition attacks. 2GM to rank 3 is a staple of my muni character. Don't be fooled by Close the Gap, lots of testing has gone into showing that Close The Gap is inferior to rank 3 about 90% of the time[/quote']

I agree 100% with this.

I recommend either DEX/EGO with lots of REC items, or DEX/REC with lots of EGO items. Recovery is pretty important, especially if you pick up powers like Lead Tempest or (going outside the powerset) Orbital Cannon.

Here are my most commonly-used powers:

* Two-Gun Mojo - Overall, I consider it about equal to Assault Rifle (less damage, but has several advantages listed in the quoted text above. TGM procs Accelerated Metabolism and Killer Instict about as often as they can trigger.

* Orbital Cannon - This can start AND end fights quickly.

* Sonic Device (with AoE advantage)/Lead Tempest combo - Great for tightly-packed groups.

* Lightning Reflexes - Your DEX will be your highest stat, and it shines against tough single targets. With Orbital Cannon, Sonic Device, and Lead Tempest, large groups of weaker foes can be taken care of quickly. LR gives you good protection against what's left.

* Munitions Bots - Gives another target on the field and extra firepower when taking on tough foes like Master Villains and Supervillains. The bots have allowed me to win fights that were unbeatable without them.