MordSith

Asperion

I would like to have my heroes have some fun with a MordSith. For those not familiar with these nasty beings from the Sword of Truth series, they are women who have the ability to capture someone's magical ability. They require an EGO roll to capture the ability but once captured they can use that ability to always know where the person is and to inflict pain on said person, regardless of the distance or defenses. Other than this they have no innate ability and are normal humans in all senses. The only modification that I will make is to expand their ability to capture any innate power, but not tech-based ability.

Re: MordSith

I've only read the first book (Wizard's first rule) and only seen a few episodes from the TV show but as I recall, they can only capture magic used against them. Also, there was some limitations on the magic they can capture. For example, IIRC, they can not prevent the use of a confessor's power. Lastly, and this may be because of my limited experience, they can only inflict pain on someone who is trying to use the magic that they 'captured.' I.e., when the Seeker is just standing there (after being affected), the woman (forgot her name) can not just impose pain upon him. But once he tries to use the Sword of Truth's magic, she can redirect it as pain at him.

La Rose.

I don't have 6th ed so this is how I would do it in 5th:

I would give them a NND Energy Blast, does body, BoECV, the defense would be never having had powers "Captured". Sort of cheezy and it wouldn't fly for a PC, but for an NPC, meh go for it.

As far as the capturing, I would use a BoECV Missile Deflection. If the Power gets deflected it gets "Captured". You also have decide on STR. Can a Martial Artist with super DEX be captured if they use their super-dex-based martial arts on her? What about a Brick, does Super Strength count? If STR counts, then you'll have to add a BoECV block too.

I would also give them non-resistant Damage Reduction to simulate their ability to take pain (as well as a high EGO, and levels in Resistance). For the Agiel, I would make it an AVLD (Mental Defense, or Power Defense maybe?) Killing Attack does body and a AVLD EB (for when they just want to cause pain).

Some of the design concepts depend on who the power is going to belong to (NPC vs PC) and what point values we are using. One could always build their power as an odd transform that adds on a Side Effect to the power in question: "upon the wish of the Transformer, this power inflicts X damage to its user;" also a custom limitation: "May not work unless the Transformer consents.

Benefits of this mechanism: It is 100% consistent. Side Effect damage can not be negated. It puts the control of the side effect in the Tranformer. It also puts the ability for the power to be used in the hands of the Transformer.

Bad side: It will be very costly to get a version of this power that can work as quickly as a Mord-Sith's power does. I.e., lots of dice of Transform.

La Rose.

The Confessor's power is subtractive in nature? I would have thought it was additive since they are taking the emotion of love and super amplifying it. I also thought that Zed had said it was additive in the first book, but I guess T. Goodkind could have change that.

La Rose.

...and Wiki is such an authoritative resource...

Well, lets be honest here. Wiki, although has its issues, is generally right. I'm not going to be citing it in a term paper mind you, but for casual discussion over items of popular culture (especially popular culture), wiki can and will be cited as an authority.

La Rose.

Well, lets be honest here. Wiki, although has its issues, is generally right. I'm not going to be citing it in a term paper mind you, but for casual discussion over items of popular culture (especially popular culture), wiki can and will be cited as an authority.

La Rose.

I just got done with a semester of English Comp and going through Business Communications now. Citations up the whazoo...

Right, it's been awhile for me, but I remember Kahlen not being sure if she could ride in the Sliph. She didn't know about the Con Dar yet, which I believe is the Subtractive part of her magic. Now like I said, it's been awhile so I may be making all that up, but I DO remember the book saying that she has both sides of magic.

Right' date=' it's been awhile for me, but I remember Kahlen not being sure if she could ride in the Sliph. She didn't know about the Con Dar yet, which I believe is the Subtractive part of her magic. Now like I said, it's been awhile so I may be making all that up, but I DO remember the book saying that she has both sides of magic.[/quote']

And wiki agrees with you.

La Rose.

According to the original series, the primary ability of the Confessors is additive, but only during the right conditions the Confessor can release the opposite side (subtractive) known as the Con Dar. Kaylan discovered the Con Dar (not positive) in the second book, before the Silph was discovered. Since she had used (activated) the subtractive side, she was able to ride the Silph. She does not gain proper control over it in the fifth book where I have gotten upto.

As a side note, if the MordSith is either touched by or captures the Confessor's power, it will within minutes drive the MordSith insane, not kill her outright.

Quick question about Confessors. Can a confessed be confessed by another confessor? I.e., what was yours is now mine?

La Rose.

During the Dark Times, several Confessors were touched by the Confessor's power. I see nothing that makes one Confessor immune to the power of another.