Wolves Lair

Starwolf

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Wolves Lair

Hi everyone. I would recommend at this point that the group upgrade from Maptools 1.3b59 to 1.3b63. This new build will most likely be the last, or perhaps second to the last version before they declare this the completed street release and start development of version 1.4. The benefits of upgrading, are that we will experience fewer dropped players (more stability), and easier map making due to a new map/art repository retrieval system. The new repository retrieval system will allow the GM (or anyone) to make an art pack that holds maps, token art, object art, etc and host it as a zip file. Then the players (and other gaming groups if you share the host url) can download and auto-install the art pack from within Maptools. By having each player have thier own copy of the artwork on their local hard drive, it reduces the strain on the server, thus enhancing overall stbility, and shortening screen load times. This also has the effect of increasing the programs speed.

Let me know which way we are going. I think the existing campaign files should load just fine, but I would like a chance to test/troubleshoot just in case they don't.

Also are we going to have our official game start date be the evening of Jan 1 or the evening of Jan 8?

I'm looking over the characters and placing notes here. First up, Vareth:

Sanguinaries and Atharians are not buddies. Atharians consider the blood mages to be hedge wizards and threats to their dominance of the magical arts.

You're paying for literacy in Igardian, twice. Once in the language itself and once in the Sanuinary Initiate list of skills.

You're paying 1 point more than necessary for Bluetongue. Select Bluetongue from the language drop down rather than typing it in and you'll get the correct cost.

Next we have Rajellum:

Polearms and Spears can't be "sheathed" so there's really no reason to have Fast Draw for them

Combat Luck is inherently based on Perception so that limitation on "Battle Trained" is redundant

Spear Fighting is a Martial Art that only the Order of the Spear Paladins know and is not taught to people who are not of that Order

Neither the Rivalry nor the Hunted are defined at all. Who is hunting him? Who does he have a rivalry with?

Overall it is a very interesting group. I'm curious to see how the paladin works out as I have yet to have one in my current games. I'm very curious to see how the Roofrunner is being brought in for this and how the Paladin is going to pay the monthly upkeep on the keep, this must be a political campaign, yes?

Jealous? Not that I can tell, what does he have that anyone should be jealous of?

Now having a rivalry with other warriors is a pretty common thing.

Hunted, well, if he is still a part of the Warband, then you'll have to work some other hunted with the GM. If he has left the Warband (for reasons explained on the D3 Forums) then "Simeret" would be a valid hunted and oddly enough is the most common hunted for PC Simeret in the games I've run.

Hi everyone. I would recommend at this point that the group upgrade from Maptools 1.3b59 to 1.3b63. This new build will most likely be the last, or perhaps second to the last version before they declare this the completed street release and start development of version 1.4. The benefits of upgrading, are that we will experience fewer dropped players (more stability), and easier map making due to a new map/art repository retrieval system. The new repository retrieval system will allow the GM (or anyone) to make an art pack that holds maps, token art, object art, etc and host it as a zip file. Then the players (and other gaming groups if you share the host url) can download and auto-install the art pack from within Maptools. By having each player have thier own copy of the artwork on their local hard drive, it reduces the strain on the server, thus enhancing overall stbility, and shortening screen load times. This also has the effect of increasing the programs speed.

Let me know which way we are going. I think the existing campaign files should load just fine, but I would like a chance to test/troubleshoot just in case they don't.

Also are we going to have our official game start date be the evening of Jan 1 or the evening of Jan 8?

I concur with all of this. I would further request a start date of Jan 1.

I should let you know that I was given added duties at my job consisting of revamping the website and an added newsletter. I've been very busy with my regular stuff, but now the basketball season (that I coach) is over that should free up some time. I have quite a few obligations that I've been neglecting and this group is one of them. I appreciate Kam lending a hand with going over chargen. I'm likely not as turgid as he, but that will work fine in the long run. I've been chatting with the co-gm about the character group and we've come up with a few things. I still have to look more closely at the pc's. I'm notoriously cagey at chargen, but I will endeavor to persevere.

Further, I think you should all realize something. You've pieced together a group of characters that are mostly outsiders from the region and will likely been seen with witheld hostility by the 'natives'. I think you'll still have your allies (Asunite Church, Eastern Nobility, Sanguinaries), but you'll mostly be on your own. The Church of Asuna is seen by most as an invading religion. The Eastern nobility with hostility since the Plague Wall. Sanguinaries are known as Blood Mages by the common populace and Simeret as cold-blooded mercenary killers. I see the campaign as a fertile ground for moral ambiguities. If you're all fine with that we will continue.

I don't care where we start out or what the natives think of us. I'll play with whatever you throw at us. That's what makes the game enjoyable. Never knowing what or who will show up next. I rather enjoy that and I won't mind if the other characters arn't to fond of my character either. That's just another part of the game.

I was talking to my nephew and he wants to check out our game and might be another possible player.

Just a note on the MapTool 1.3b63 version. It is fast. I was able to execute the attack macros within a second or two. Previously they were taking about 8-10 seconds.

A request for Starwolf; if you modify any of the macro code I sent created, can I get a copy? Thanks in advance.

Have fun fellas!

Hi Everyone, I hope you all had a great Christmas... We just returned from our trip to Phoenix, so I am playing catchup, but here goes.

The 8th actually works better for me. it gives me some breathing room to finish up the character macros.

To Nolgroth, I most certainly will.

based on Savinien's answer I have already ugraded both Terrie and myself to version 1.3b63 of Maptools.

I'll see ya all on the 8th.

Have the changes that maya mentioned been taken care of?

I've been thinking about the group and think I have the Simmeret, the Sanguinary, and the Paladin backstory covered. We'll likely start the game in a Gobryn port city with the Paladin's initial arrival to Gobryn Duchy. The sanguinary with Simmeret mercenary await the arrival. As I don't have much information on any other PCs at this point... I'll go into further detail with individuals as the time nears, via either email (most likely) or PMs.

I'm looking over the characters and placing notes here. First up, Vareth:

Sanguinaries and Atharians are not buddies. Atharians consider the blood mages to be hedge wizards and threats to their dominance of the magical arts.

You're paying for literacy in Igardian, twice. Once in the language itself and once in the Sanuinary Initiate list of skills.

You're paying 1 point more than necessary for Bluetongue. Select Bluetongue from the language drop down rather than typing it in and you'll get the correct cost.

First off thanks for the input.

I fixed the language and literacy thing, and invested the two points recouped into a CSl: +1w/Quarterstaff.

I groked that whole Sanguinary vs Atharian thing. I know that they are at odds philosophically and that Athariens would have a dangerous bias towards Sanguinaries. I figure most people would look on the Blood Mages with a mixture of suspicion, revulsion, and maybe a little fear. However it says in the write up that Sanguinaries consider themselves to be keepers of knowledge and in some cases know more about Atharian magic (though they don't use it) than the Atharians themselves. In pursuit of such knowledge it follows that from time to time they must have a source of smuggling information out of the Academy, be that from a paid informant, or a spy. The information could come from any source, but at some point it must be passed to a Sanguinary to be recorded... In my back story at some point I acccompanied my teacher on a journey to the capitol to retrieve just such an information hand off. Having said all of that, while Atharians have this bias towards Blood Mages, Vareth holds no hatred in his heart for the mis-guided Atharians. To him they are like handling a snake, it must be done with caution to avoid being bitten, but the snake cannot help being a snake.

Next up is Lady Rina:

Why does she only have one maneuver from the Knights Sword? Was she able to negotiate a way to only receive partial training or was her trainer incompetent?

Needs to define what local area her map is of

as before thanks for your input!

The short answer as to why she doesn't have more maneuvers in the "Knights Sword" is we ran out of points. The in character answer is that she is still a novice at some some things and is activley persueing advancement in training, specifically in continueing to learn this art, and more generally anything that will improve her warrior skills.

The area her map covers is the immediate area around the keep. She imagined it at the outset to be an abandoned stone structure, maybe even in need of repair. I am not sure about the cost of upkeep on a small abdandoned keep. IRL I have visited several in Europe (I am a Navy Veteran) that consisted of a small manor house (like a 3 or four bedreoom modern home in size), surrounded by a curtain wall with a couple of watch/guard stations on the parapets. Possibly with a small stable inside the walls to house and care for the couple of horses the residents might have. One time costs might consists of furnishings, and repairs. Ongoing costs would be meals, and a small stipend for her follower/page/manservant. But she would have those recurring costs regardless of whether she had the keep or not. IF (and this could be a big if) she is successful in making any converts in the local area, and persuads a Priest of Asuna to take up residence with her... church could be approached to use tithes to pay for any incidental cost of running the keep, and maybe buidling a small outbuilding/church house?