Gravity

Doc Democracy

OK. Getting a new rulebook makes you look at stuff more closely.

While I was looking at the characteristic text for STR, I see that when STR goes to zero, muscle-powered movement halves, DCV halves and a STR roll to do basic things like pulling a trigger or making gestures.

Now this happens more quickly as the PC's mass increases and the effects can be overcome if STR is pushed to get STR to 1 or more.

Should these effects also be triggered by increased gravity? Would this suggest that gravity manipulation is now very effectively modelled by STR suppress? Excess STR suppress delivers penalties to those STR rolls indicated above and further halvings of movement and DCV? At some point (when STR roll reduced to 3 or less?) then the character finds it impossible to breathe and begins to suffocate?

Doc

Was all this in 5th edition and I missed it? Have been too lazy to break open my old rulebook! :)

Re: Gravity

that sounds like a reasonable way to build a gravity field

I'd go with explosion as localized gravity field would decrease with distance from it .

At some point (when STR roll reduced to 3 or less?) then the character finds it impossible to breathe and begins to suffocate?
That is what happens to the giants as they continue to grow.

Their strength does not drop to 3 but their mass becomes so great the don't have the strength to support it.

Closer to reality

Strength is a measure of the cross section of the muscle

So each doubling in height would mean a cross section x4 so x4 strength

while each doubling of height would be x8 volume and x8 mass

I don't think high gravity or reverse gravity should be represented by Drain vs. STR. The Drain wouldn't affect Leaping, Flight or even TK.

I think AOE TK with NND or Flight UAA (NND by default) are better ways to represent localized changes to the gravity field.

Also see this old thread on Reverse Gravity.

it every object is twice as heavy it would require 5 more points of strength to pick up

or everyone in the gravity field has effectively 5 less points of strength for lifting and carrying objects including their own body mass

to cover Hyper-Man's list

The Drain wouldn't affect Leaping, Flight or even TK.

add the advantage to the suppress the set of powers that would be effected by a gravity field

RE: catagenesis, as far as STR goes, I think we have gained something. We have a mechanic that allows us to build on it and model the effects of heavy G.

Now catagenesis is making useful things by breaking down bigger, less useful things. How does that relate to losing negative characteristics?

Doc