Ran my first hero system game yesterday.

Carnus

Well after a few weeks of reading the rules and getting everyones characters created I finally ran my very first Hero System game.

It went over well with all the players, they are now keen to go through the rules and learn more themselves. (I had just converted their characters from our Mutants & Masterminds game)

Combat ran smooth though I did get a little confused at times with adding to DC and the different damage types but I think I did it mostly right. (Going to have another read through to make fix up any rules mistakes that may have been made)

Overall though I and more importantly my players enjoyed it and I am already looking forward to running my next session in a few days time.

Oh may be a silly question, but is there a GM screen coming out soon for 6th ed? Would be very helpful as I wouldn't have to keep flipping between all the tables I had book marked.

Re: Ran my first hero system game yesterday.

No such creature exists yet -- hopefully Steve'll get off his keister and whip one up here shortly, but you can probably still get the 5th Ed version which, while no longer exact, still helps and has enough critical information to warrant its use.

On the DC thing, I'll try and give you the key that I use:

Get out a piece of paper. Have your players write down the numbers 6 - 14 in order. Have them, then, write THEIR OWN OCV above the 11. Then on either side, go either down one, or up one. So if you have an OCV (final, or "normal," not just the stat) of 8, you write "8" over the 11. Now above 12, write 7. Above the 10, write 9. Those are the DCVs that those corresponding rolls will hit. It's a very handy immediate visual reference, and the reason I do it that way is because I use the "new fangled" version of OCV/DCV calculation, but all you need to remember is: Number above or below 11 is the margin by which you "made" or "failed" a to-hit roll.

I know it sounds complex, but hopefully with the visual aid it'll all *CLICK* into place for you. It's awesome that you're using the system! I hope you get many, many years of enjoyment out of it. Oh, and if you don't have it yet, I suggest grabbing a copy of Hero Designer, it's dead useful for ... um. Everything, including learning the rules. Great, great tool.

That is helpful Thia, but he said DC...that is Damage Class. I'm not sure that your OCV chart applies to whatever his concerns about DC and multiple types of damage. It is sound advice nonetheless.

Carnus, if you need anything clarified feel free to post. Even if it's something you are sure is in the book somewhere, there are people here who will either answer almost immediately, or give you a page reference to find your answer.

Before the 5E screen came out a number of us whipped up ones for ourselves. I've still got my 5E one running around on the drive. I may update it, but it might take me a bit as I never loaded the software I used when I upgrade to Vista.

Thanks for the responses.

Thai: I did mean Damage class not OCV/DCV but thanks for your suggestion, it could be pretty helpful for some.

Bigbywolfe: After re-reading the rules I was iffy on during the game I now feel pretty confident that I now have them sorted (in my head anyway ;P ). If something comes up I will be sure to ask :D

Azato: Thanks for the links, they are exactly what I was after, you rock sir.

My bad. This is what I get for being punchy when I reply.

DCs are comparatively straight forward, so I think that's my brain auto-shifted to what it takes as complex (the OCV/DCV thing). DCs run on a 1:1 chart with some fiddling variations, i.e., 6 DCs is always 2d6 Killing, 7 is 2d6+1, 8 gets tricky, as it's either 2d6 1/2, or 3d6-1 -- and that's assuming a straight chart conversion. For instance, 1 DC is always, on its own, 1 pip/point of damage, so you could convert 7 DCs to 1d6+4, if you really wanted too. Is there something above/beyond that which you needed assistance with?