Hellish Weather on Other Planets

Nyrath

Re: Hellish Weather on Other Planets

It's definitely usable on the "I want my Players to THINK." level. Player: "Do we detect O2?" GM: "Yes there is O2" Action: Player runs outside the ship in his Bermuda Shorts and carrying a Surfboard, takes a deep lungful of gaseous Sodium and aluminum, dies horribly. Player 2 (Ship Commander) "Hmmph. I guess this Beach ISN'T safe to surf...."

~Rex

On a related subject, 1) do we have the technology to analyze an arbitrary mix of gases and determine the composition well enough to stake human lives on our belief that it's safe to breathe?, 2) how bulky and heavy would the equipment to do this need to be?, and 3) how long would it take?

I know that the equipment to detect the concentrations of specific compounds can be handheld and give readings in seconds or at most tens of seconds, but that's a whole different ballgame than analyzing an atmosphere which could contain anything that's a gas.

Obviously, checking for airborne pathogens is yet another complication.

You know what? I'll just stay in the ship.

1. Yes.

2. Varies from a scrap of paper to things the size of a small laptop case nowadays (those used to be suitcase sized when you drug them through missile silos behind you).

3. Not long. Most thing that take longer to dcipher will kill you so fast it wouldn't matter.

4. Nyrath can assuredly add more. :D

~Rex

On a related subject, 1) do we have the technology to analyze an arbitrary mix of gases and determine the composition well enough to stake human lives on our belief that it's safe to breathe?, 2) how bulky and heavy would the equipment to do this need to be?, and 3) how long would it take?

I know that the equipment to detect the concentrations of specific compounds can be handheld and give readings in seconds or at most tens of seconds, but that's a whole different ballgame than analyzing an atmosphere which could contain anything that's a gas.

My answers are like those above, but frankly, with optical/ultraviolet/infrared spectroscopic methods you don't even need to enter the atmosphere to get a decent handle on its composition. That could be done from interplanetary space ... a few AUs away ... in a few minutes, given a dedicated spectrometer (size of a filing cabinet) with a modest telescope (again, size of a filing cabinet) feeding it; both those instruments would be useful for other purposes as well. The from=space results won't be as precise as, say, gas chromatography or mass spectrometry done on actual gas samples in the atmosphere itself (and it won't get you trace constituents, especially if there's stuff like heavy hydrocarbons in the atmosphere), but you will know, at least light-hours away, whether or not you want to walk around in your shirtsleeves or not.

My answers are like those above' date=' but frankly, with optical/ultraviolet/infrared spectroscopic methods you don't even need to enter the atmosphere to get a decent handle on its composition. That could be done from interplanetary space ... a few AUs away ... in a few minutes, given a dedicated spectrometer (size of a filing cabinet) with a modest telescope (again, size of a filing cabinet) feeding it; both those instruments would be useful for other purposes as well. The from=space results won't be as precise as, say, gas chromatography or mass spectrometry done on actual gas samples in the atmosphere itself (and it won't get you trace constituents, especially if there's stuff like heavy hydrocarbons in the atmosphere), but you will know, at least light-hours away, whether or not you want to walk around in your shirtsleeves or not.[/quote']

And that's with what we have right now, today, correct?