Examples of Damage Negation

Cardinal

Re: Examples of Damage Negation

Another approach to "keeping the mystery" would be to remove a percentage of the damage. If the target has 3 DC's Damage Negation' date=' and he's hit with a 12d6 attack rolling 48 STUN and 14 BOD, take off 3/12 = 25% = 12 STUN and 3.5 BOD, so that leaves 36 STUN and 10 BOD (rounding in defender's favour; you could roll to see whether it roounds up or down if you prefer).[/quote']

Ohh, that actually has possibilities. Possibly be a little math heavy on the fly, but I think I've got a little calculator around. This is probably my favourite method so far!

The way I see it' date=' all three defenses--DN, PD/ED, and DR--are applied after an attack hits. But DN is applied before the damage is rolled, PD/ED is subtracted from the rolled damage, and then DR is applied after damage is rolled and defense subtracted.[/quote']

Assuming that you are responding to my post, I understand that, but I am talking about the SFX relationship between the three.

When does DN sound right for an SFX where Defenses nor DR do not?

That's what I am curious about.

I think that DN shakes up a legacy of traditional interpretations of character defenses, especially when trying to simulate specific characters and powers.

In my mind, Damage Resistance (now simply Resistant) is for characters who are intrinsically hard to harm with weapons and the like (super tough skin for example). Damage Reduction is for characters who aren't so much tougher initially, but can take a beating (Hollywood action film stars, for example). Damage Negation sounds good for characters who simply ignore certain kinds of damage or a certain degree of damage (Grendel, for example has Damage Negation versus bladed weapons).

One of the truly snazzy things about DN is the ability to make it independent of the type of attack. I don't need DN vs Magic ED, DN vs Magic PD, DN vs Magic Flashes. DN vs Magic is enough (more or less, with some clarifications and such) and that is awesome.