04. Old 2: - Other Powers As Special Effects

MistWing

This is an old question that (I think) has been rendered largely irrelevant. But there may still be situations where it can come up and I’m curious.

Is it legal to define a power’s special effect in terms of another power?

For example (using Champions… which tells you how old this question is :) ):

One of my characters had a follower defined as his girl friend. She also had some super-powers. Included in her repertoire was enhanced swimming. The special effect of this was that she shape-shifted into a mermaid. She gained no other advantages of Shape Shift (as defined at the time), so the power was allowed to be used as a special effect.

Is this acceptable?

Thanks

MistWing SilverTail

Absolutely. As long as the Power in question has no other game-mechanic effect (I'm assuming from your comments that the mermaid could change from fish-tail to legs at will), the Special Effects of the Power can "look" like anything you want. That's what gives each character's abilities a flavor distinct from any mechanically similar abilities.

Technically yes. However, I would consider a version of OIHID (Only In Mermaid Form, -1/4 in this case) to cover the inconvenience factor of having to change back and forth, implications for recognizing the character, and to mechanically codify the nuisance level limitations inherent to having a mer-tail rather than legs and vice versa.