Good bye Constellation Program

Gnaskar

Re: Good bye Constellation Program

*sigh* If they need more money why can't they just use the money for this retarded waste of Tax Money called Light Rail and Car Speed Railways. There's an Easy 9 Billion extra for them. I'm sure I could come up with more if I went rooting around in the pork. Hate those people now. :/

~Rex

Rex.

Running out of oil?

Global warming?

It's not like railways aren't the backbone of our logistics network already, or that they do not move substantial numbers of people in many corridors.

Just because rail advocates are intensely annoying and overly optimistic doesn't mean that they're wrong.

Running out of Oil? Worked in that industry a long time. Plenty of it left if you are willing to dig a hole. As for Global Warming. Don't Even get me started. Rail, in this country, as a transporter of Humans, is an Insane Money Suck, that requires immense government funded subsidization The Price of a Ticket does not cover the expense to move your butt. For example. They want to put in, a Car Speed rail system to link Milwaukee, with the Dane County Airport. Here's some Issues.

It only has two places in town, both a half Mile Drive to get to, to Get On the train.

It only goes to the Dane County Airport.

New Rail needs to be laid. Costing Millions. New Trains have ALREADY, been bought, Not from the Milwaukee based company that Builds trains, but from a no compete no Bid company in SPAIN, that donated some money to certain political people.

A ticket, is between 40 and 60 bucks. One way. By the way, that ticket cost, covers less then 9% of the cost of the transport, of one Human this way. The rest of the cost comes from Subsidized TAX money.

It costs, in a car that gets 22 miles to the gallon, 8 dollars, Round Trip, to make the same distance from the closets train depot this thing will leave from.

Now, baring the other expenses, like having to shell out for a cab to get back into Madison after you get off the train, hoping your car is in one piece when you get back, and all of that sort of thing, WHY, do I have to tolerate an 890 MILLION dollar Tax Suck, out of an 8.9 BILLION dollar Tax Suck, for a Stupid Train, that goes out to an Airport, in an Area, no one goes to? Not to mention, No one Uses.

Do people take trains, Yes. Have we had a Passenger Train system in this country since 1950, that was cost effective with Cost vs Income? NO. Railway isn't even the backbone of our Commerce logistics anymore and hasn't been since about 1968. Semi Trucks, and Airplanes. I come out of a Rail family, Rail's been dead, a long long long time, it's just a giant festering zombie intent on eating more tax money.

~Rex

Cargo rail is financially solvent and successful.

What does this have to do with the Constellation Program?

I'm sad to see the future moon mission push scrapped, but not sad to see the rehash of Apollo, based on disposable capsules, dumped like the sack of crap it is.

Freight Rail rocks. Especially with the Hybrid systems. Getting rid of the liberal pet project Light Rail and car speed rail though would free up money to get us something better then an Apollo Rehash, and to be fair to the Constellation Program, Quite a lot of it, is reusable in various fashions, and best of all, it was a slight step forward program with multiple uses, that was Off the Shelf, hence, cheaper in the long run. Folks can bemoan the rehash but Apollo Worked and if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Besides, if you aren't going to even attempt things that would work BETTER, you have to either Do Nothing, or build on what has worked before.

Our guy chose do nothing, but what the Hey, I'm getting a Train I can use to go to a podunk puddle jumper airport, for 14 times what it would cost me to drive there, and I'm sure the Chinese will be willing to share the moon when we finally decide to do something right? I mean, those guys are the nicest "Can't We All get along?" humanitarians on the face of the planet.

At least until they get a hold of a copy of the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

~Rex

Freight Rail rocks. Especially with the Hybrid systems. Getting rid of the liberal pet project Light Rail and car speed rail though would free up money to get us something better then an Apollo Rehash, and to be fair to the Constellation Program, Quite a lot of it, is reusable in various fashions, and best of all, it was a slight step forward program with multiple uses, that was Off the Shelf, hence, cheaper in the long run. Folks can bemoan the rehash but Apollo Worked and if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Besides, if you aren't going to even attempt things that would work BETTER, you have to either Do Nothing, or build on what has worked before.

Our guy chose do nothing, but what the Hey, I'm getting a Train I can use to go to a podunk puddle jumper airport, for 14 times what it would cost me to drive there, and I'm sure the Chinese will be willing to share the moon when we finally decide to do something right? I mean, those guys are the nicest "Can't We All get along?" humanitarians on the face of the planet.

At least until they get a hold of a copy of the Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

If you really want to discuss politics this badly, and cram political side comments into every post on every subject, there's always the NGD board.