the poison example in Fred

dugfromthearth

not sure if this has been brought up before, it isn't so much a rule thing as a problem with the example.

I think it is curare.

The poison is bought with the +2 advantage NND does Body. Which is the advantage of doing body without having to get through the enemy's defenses.

But then it has the -1/4 limitation - attack must have done body already.

So the power has a +2 advantage to ignore defenses and a -1/4 limitation that the character must already have penetrated the defenses - rendering the entire +2 advantage pointless.

Steve's answer surprises me a bit, since I thought the answer pretty straightforward. As I read it, the attack which DELIVERS the curare must do BOD damage, or else the curare lacks any opportunity to enter the bloodstream and act on its target.

I'm not sure I agree BOD is the appropriate measure, or 10 pinpricks or injections (lacking the curare) would reduce most people to near-death. But that's how I perceive the limitation.

Re: the poison example in Fred

Originally posted by dugfromthearth

So the power has a +2 advantage to ignore defenses and a -1/4 limitation that the character must already have penetrated the defenses - rendering the entire +2 advantage pointless.

The -1/4 Limitation refers to the "carrier" attack, not to the poison itself. I. e. if you're using a knife to deliver the poison, the poison only damages the target if the KNIFE penetrates the skin.

Originally posted by Steve Long

Whether the answer is straightforward is irrelevant. I generally don't respond to statements other people make about the rules, particularly not when the tone of the statement makes the poster's intent questionable.

Huh? You don't want to make straightforward answers to your customers?

Originally posted by rjcurrie

Read the original post again. It is not asking a question. It is making a statement that the design of the example is wrong. If the person had asked what the -1/4 Limitation was referring to, I suspect Steve might have answered the question.

Rod

I chalked it up to confusion on the part of the poster that could have been easily dispelled. Sometimes, DOJ seems a little paranoid to me.

it really isn't a question as such

It seems to me that the poison is poorly designed. Having a poorly designed example seems to me to be bad. I don't know of any other feedback for Fred so it seemed to me to be the place to post it. I'm sorry if I put it in the wrong place. It is essentially feedback on the actual book Fred, not the rules themselves, although it is partly about the rules and how to use them.

I do understand that the -1/4 limitation applies to the dagger or other weapon that delivers the poison.

My point is that you could buy the poison as +4d6 killing with extra time and other limitations that added to the damage done by the dagger. Since the dagger has to already have done body for the poison to take effect, there is no need for the poison to be an NND. The poison ignores defenses because the damage done has already exceeded the defenses. This would be vastly cheaper.

I have seen poison darts done before as an NND where the defense against it is having resistant defense - making it a +1/2 NND.

To me it makes more sense for the curare to be a +1/2 NND, not a +1 NND with a -1/4 limitation.

As an added note, should "does body" be a +1 advantage even if the NND is only a +1/2 advantage? Or should it double the value of the NND?

So in conclusion I would do poison one of two ways: +1/2 NND defense is having resistant PD with the does body added, or as HKA which adds to the damage done by the weapon with the limitations of delayed onset, and maybe then a -1/4 limitation that it only takes effect if the dagger did damage.

Originally posted by Steve Long

Whether the answer is straightforward is irrelevant. I generally don't respond to statements other people make about the rules, particularly not when the tone of the statement makes the poster's intent questionable.

Re-reading the initial post, I see your point. It also opens with "this isn't a question", which kind of invites moving it...

he was right

He was right to move it.

I didn't read.

I just saw the board was about Fred and didn't read the line that it was for rules questions and that only Steve could answer them.

That is a great idea for a board, especially since it looks like he actually answers the questions.

My post was about Fred but wasn't a question for him to answer.

Re: he was right

Originally posted by dugfromthearth

He was right to move it.

I didn't read.

I just saw the board was about Fred and didn't read the line that it was for rules questions and that only Steve could answer them.

That is a great idea for a board, especially since it looks like he actually answers the questions.

My post was about Fred but wasn't a question for him to answer.

Awww, you just ruined a good argument in the making. :)

Good call, Steve. AgentX, as I started reading this I took your view - that the poster was just confused and in need of simple guidance (no offense dugfromtheearth), so I was thinking the wrong thing as well.