Quick questions for a Martial Artist Powers

Okay, one of my players is wanting to do a Martial Artists type character. Here are the quick facts:

STR 30

Multipower: 30 Points Reserve

1u - HHA Armor Piercing

2u - HHA Penetrating

His MP has more slots than that, but those aren't where my questions lie.

Martial Arts Manuevers: He only took Throw/Block/Dodge etc.

For the two slots listed, would the Armor Piercing or Penetration apply to the 6d6 of STR or only to the 4d6 HHA? Thus when the powers are used would it be 10d6 AP/Pen or would it be 6d6 + 4d6 AP/Pen? I can never remember the rules when it comes to apply Advantages to HKA/HHA abilities.

Re: Quick questions for a Martial Artist Powers

The answer depends on the ruleset being used.

In 5e/5er up to 20 STR could be added and still use the Advantage (8d6 total AP or Pen).

In 6e advanatage stacking for HA's is basically handled the same as it was for HKA's in 5e/5er (it's pro-rated).

The answer depends on the ruleset being used.

In 5e/5er up to 20 STR could be added and still use the Advantage (8d6 total AP or Pen).

In 6e advanatage stacking for HA's is basically handled the same as it was for HKA's in 5e/5er (it's pro-rated).

Thankyou.

I have always house ruled it as such: if you have a HTH attack with an advantage on it, either you pay for the STR to have the advantage too or the DC that STR adds are reduced by the value of the advantage. So for a 30 STR added to a 4d6 Penetrating (+½) attack, you only get an extra 6d6/1.5 = 4d6 for a total of 8d6. If it were an NND (+1) attack, you would get 6d6/2 = 3d6 extra from STR.

I have always house ruled it as such: if you have a HTH attack with an advantage on it' date=' either you pay for the STR to have the advantage too or the DC that STR adds are reduced by the value of the advantage. So for a 30 STR added to a 4d6 Penetrating (+½) attack, you only get an extra 6d6/1.5 = 4d6 for a total of 8d6. If it were an NND (+1) attack, you would get 6d6/2 = 3d6 extra from STR.[/quote']

6E uses a system akin to this. It's (IMO) very elegant and simple.

I generally only allow MA Powers to be built as Naked Advantages applied to STR, and then pro-rate any additional DC's to the advantage level of the power. So a 30 STR MA would spend 15 AP to buy an Armor Piercing (+1/2) Punch, and if he had +4 HTH Damage Classes, he would only add 3 DC's to the AP Punch. Someone posted a very handy little table for just that purpose.

Another way to do it is to buy the slots as compound powers, with the naked advantage and the additional damage bought together.

Or just don't sweat it - generally your 30 STR Martial Artist with an Armor Piercing +6d6 Strike is still only doing 12d6 to 18d6 AP, compared to the 90 STR Brick doing 24d6 Pushed Haymakers... all depends on how things balance out against the other players / NPC's of the campaign.