6e questions - still no move after attack, expensive movement, defense favored, etc.?

Re: 6e questions - still no move after attack, expensive movement, defense favored, e

I dislike the over-"realism" or Megascale movement. If I fire flames from my hands, I'm not required to have sufficient Energy Defense to be immune to damage from those flames. Even if I self-immolate with a Damage Shield, I am not requried to pay for sufficient defenses to avoid damage from the flames, nor to purchase Life Support to prevent damage from smoke inhalation or the lack of oxygen as the flames surround my head.

The character paid for the power, and should be assumed capable of using it. He should not have to buy other prerequisite powers to be able to benefit from Megascale, any more than he should be required to buy prerequisite powers to be allowed to use his Blast, Force Field or Damage Shield.

Yeah I'm on board with this for most genres anyway. There is no limit to how deep this rabbit hole would go (for example, if you wanted to be super realistic, any knockback you inflicted on a target, you would suffer also).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 6e questions - still no move after attack, expensive movement, defense favored, e

I take your point' date=' but then you're essentially giving the character rapid perception for free. If they can see obstacles in their path clearly while moving at hypersonic speeds, it follows they can also see bullets and missiles even while they are at rest. I don't think it's so much that those abilities would be prerequisites to using the power, as that having the mega-movement power would create a rationale for having or developing those additional abilities.[/quote']

Yes' date=' it would follow that a hypersonic character would be able to perceive bullets in flight and the like, but unless he pays points for it, he can't do it. The character may be getting, "Rapid, Sight Sense Group, only to perceive objects in flight path, only to avoid said objects" for free, but it's hardly a game-breaker.[/quote']

It also logically follows that a character whose life support alows him to stand in an active volcano, or one who can project the fires of the sun from his fingertips without injury, would not be hurt by a lit match. You get the ability to use the power you paid for. If you want to exrapolate out more abilities than that, pay the points.

It also logically follows that a character whose life support alows him to stand in an active volcano' date=' or one who can project the fires of the sun from his fingertips without injury, would not be hurt by a lit match. You get the ability to use the power you paid for. If you want to exrapolate out more abilities than that, pay the points.[/quote']There was a battle between the original Human Torch and Johnny Storm. Johnny got his ass kicked because the other had more experience. There was one point where it was explained that the original Torch knew what temperature differentials could put a flaming being into shock.