ED-only Barrier

Talon

Re: ED-only Barrier

It occurs to me that it might even be worth less because it no longer offers protection.

True. In 5E Force Walls didn't have Body, so any limiting aspects were simply covered by the FW having 0 PD. In 6E a 0 PD Barrier is still going to absorb its Body in damage without some kind of transparent Modifier. I'd still go with using the Advantage from Entangle, I think, because Entangles do have Body. It feels like a stronger corollary to me.

True. In 5E Force Walls didn't have Body' date=' so any limiting aspects were simply covered by the FW having 0 PD. [/quote']

That's not actually true. In 5E you had to buy the Transparent Advantage. A Force Wall with 0 PD would shut done if even 1 point of Physical Damage was done.

Is full transparency really worth double one-way transparency?

I mean you have just given up a tactical advantage.

It occurs to me that it might even be worth less because it no longer offers protection.

True, you've given up protection of a Defense you don't want to pay points for anyways - without Transparency a Physical Attack on an ED Barrier would start to do Body Damage immediately without a PD to get in the way, and would chew through it quickly.

It's definitely not worth Less - you're giving up protection but adding on that your Barrier can't be knocked down or have holes blown into it by a whole category of attacks.

Remember Barriers are still physical WALLS, just because you make it transparent to a Physical Attack, it does not mean someone can walk through it; just the opposite.

If you want to get really technical this idea is probably 'more accurately' modeled as Resistant Defense, Area Of Effect, UBO (note there's now the idea in 6E that a UBO of a certain level (x8) is effectively "everyone in range" - and the GM could increase this if he felt the AoE was large enough to warrant it).

That's not actually true. In 5E you had to buy the Transparent Advantage. A Force Wall with 0 PD would shut done if even 1 point of Physical Damage was done.

Yeah, I know. I was talking about the "limiting aspects" of the build in 5E. The fact that the FW wouldn't absorb any damage from a Physical attack coming at you is a disadvantage, and was modeled by giving the FW 0 PD, not with a Limitation. The advantageous aspect is that the FW wouldn't drop in this circumstance, which was separately handled by an Advantage. The situation is a little different in 6E (since Barriers have Body now), which is what I was getting at.

If you want to get really technical this idea is probably 'more accurately' modeled as Resistant Defense, Area Of Effect, UBO (note there's now the idea in 6E that a UBO of a certain level (x8) is effectively "everyone in range" - and the GM could increase this if he felt the AoE was large enough to warrant it).

This is the way I would go.