• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

spacer.png

In general, elven society has shifted from gems, wine, and food as barter tokens to gems as currency, and in the last three centuries or so, to the coinage used by humans, with gems “standing in” for large amounts. Elves prefer electrum and silver to other trade-metals, but will use all manner of coins. However, all non-drow elven society follows these firm social mores: personal honour is deeply rooted in fairness and prompt repayment. No “gouging” during shortages (charging excessively high prices when demand outstrips supply), and family always pays a shade less than clan, clan or community always pays a shade less than outsider, outsider elf pays less than any non-elf. Otherwise, it’s coins. Medicines or food barter between friends, and spells or magic item exchanges between rulers and the haughtiest nobles, but for everyone else: coins just like humans (valued according to the metal of the coin, not the minting: i.e. elves quite happily use coins issued by human kingdoms long gone and forgotten, so long as the coins are in good condition, and of acceptable purity and size.

I don't need no arms around me
And I don't need no potions to calm me.
I have seen the writing on the wall.
Don't think I need anything at all.
No! Don't think I'll need anything at all.
All in all it was all just souls in the wall.
All in all you were all just souls in the wall.

Goodbye, cruel world
I'm leaving you today
Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye

Goodbye, all you people
There's nothing you can say
To make me change my mind
Goodbye