Ctrl+V

Ragitsu

per·emp·to·ry
/pəˈrem(p)t(ə)rē/

adjective
adjective: peremptory
  1. (especially of a person's manner or actions) insisting on immediate attention or obedience, especially in a brusquely imperious way.
    "“Just do it!” came the peremptory reply"

Similar:
    brusque

imperious

high-handed

brisk

abrupt

summary

commanding

authoritative

overbearing

dogmatic

autocratic

dictatorial

bossy

domineering

arbitrary

arrogant

overweening

lordly

tyrannical

despotic

imperial

magisterial

authoritarian

emphatic

firm

insistent

imperative

positive

• LAW
      not open to appeal or challenge; final.
      "there has been no disobedience of a peremptory order of the court"

Similar:
      incontrovertible

irreversible

binding

absolute

final

conclusive

decisive

definitive

categorical

irrefutable

unconditional

unchallengeable

unappealable

• Replies 15.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ragitsu

• Certified

• tkdguy

• Clonus

One aspect of Baldur's Gate's surprises that I enjoy is how they creep up on you. I don't think the shock factor would have been nearly as high had the game not conveyed most of its dialogue via text (as opposed to through voice acting). By having to read a character's speech, we use our own internal narrator ("inner voice"); in doing so, we personalize certain scenes in ways an external voice actor never could. All of this isn't to say there weren't fantastic moments that utilized voice acting (far from it), but those times you had to turn a revelation in your head over and over - without the aid of a VA providing context - until you grasped the severity of a situation were awesome.

[quote][/i]
[br]9.5/10[/quote]

Better than [i]The Empire Strikes Back[/i], [i]Ben-Hur[/i], any of the [i]The Lord of the Rings[/i] entries, [i]Schindler's List[/i], [i]The Good, the Bad and the Ugly[/i] and numerous other films? If you'll excuse me, I'm going to dive headfirst into a vat of industrial-grade "Skeptical".

1) Control crystals have only been mentioned as parts of a DHD. We have no idea what parts a Stargate's internal computer is made of.

2) Lava is not as hot as you appear to think it is. Mafic magma is the hottest type of lava and can reach temperatures up to about 2,190°F, which is below the melting point of various metals and minerals. For example, iron has a melting point of 2,800°F and pure quartz has a melting point of 3,002°F.

3) The gate shut off because it lost power, and it lost power because the lava destroyed the DHD, not the Stargate. If a DHD is destroyed, its Stargate will only remain active for the full 38 minutes if something else in the environment supplies power to the Stargate directly. Hence the technician saying, "Power levels were intermittent the last few seconds before it shut off..." at 2:06.

In "Chain Reaction" (Sg-1, Season 4, Episode 15), Carter speculated that the Stargate remained operational for the full 38 minutes because they possibly turned the planet into "a giant ball of super heated plasma" and that plasma was powering the gate in place of the DHD they destroyed. Plasma has a much larger temperature range than lava. The sun, for example, is mostly plasma and has a surface temperature over 10,000°F, but the temperature of plasma is determined by variables we weren't given in "Chain Reaction," so it's impossible to know how much heat that Stargate was exposed to.

In "A Hundred Days" (Sg-1, Season 3, Episode 17), the Stargate shut down shortly after being hit by a meteorite that destroyed the DHD. The Stargate was engulfed in molten naquadah, which cooled quickly because it hardened while the wormhole was still active. It's difficult to know how much heat meteorite impacts cause, but at the Mistastin Lake crater in Canada researchers found evidence that zicron had changed into cubic zirconia. As that happens at temperatures of 4,298°F or more, the impact must have produced at least much heat. There's no record of a hotter temperature naturally occurring on the Earth's surface.

In "Exodus" (Sg-1, Season 4, Episode 22), Carter blew up "a regular main sequence star with a core temperature of about 15 million degrees" by sinking a Stargate connected to a blackhole into it. Carter and Jacob did enclose the Stargate in a force field. However, Jacob said the force field would disintegrate as the star's gravity pulled it in and then stellar matter would be sucked through the wormhole long enough to trigger a the supernova (Jacob: "It's likely the gate won't last long but we figure it'll be long enough.") Note that we're not talking about the Stargate surviving briefly at surface temperatures. The plan called for removing mass from the star's core (see quote below), which is why Carter specified that the core is approximately 15 million degrees. She didn't say in what temperature scale, but for comparison, the core of Earth's Sun is appropriately 15 million degrees Celsius, or 27 million degrees Fahrenheit. Carter: "Every star is a delicate balance between the explosive force of the fusion going on in it's core which tends to want to blow it apart and the gravitational force of it's mass which tends to want to crush it into a little ball. Now if we could disrupt that balance by suddenly removing some of the star's mass we could create an artificial supernova. The blast wave would expand at nearly the speed of light. It would destroy everything in this system within a matter of minutes."

4) A Stargate's DHD does not supply power to the gate that dialed it if the other gate's DHD is destroyed. You are misinterpreting what happened in from "48 Hours." Here are a couple of relevant lines... Carter: "If the Alkesh crashed into the DHD on the other planet it would have cut off power to the outgoing gate. Then the wormhole would have been severed prematurely. Now if that happened before our gate was able to reconvert Teal'c's energy signature back into matter..." ... Daniel: "They said the glitch probably occurred because we didn't have a DHD. Said a local DHD would compensate for the loss of power and allow the gate to finish the reintegration process." What "they" (the Tok'ra) said was that if Earth had a DHD it would have compensated by supplying the energy necessary for the incoming gate to finish reintegrating a pattern that was stored in its buffer when power was cut off to the outgoing gate before the incoming gate could reintegrate a stored pattern. It was not said that the incoming gate's DHD would keep the wormhole active by supplying energy to the outgoing gate so that matter could continually come through for up to 38 minutes.

Per "Red Sky" (Season 5, Episode 5), matter in transit will simply re-materialize into its base elements at a point along the wormhole's path through space if power is cut to an outgoing wormhole before that matter has reached the incoming wormhole's buffer. In the episode, Carter used this to deliver a superheavy element into a star. The planet they were dialing had a DHD, but it did not take over and keep Earth's Stargate active for the extra fraction of a second that it would have taken for the element to reach its Stargate's buffer... Carter: "I've tried to calculate the exact time we should shut down the gate so that the Maclarium stops short of reaching the planet and actually ends up in their sun." O'Neill: "I thought when something was in a wormhole, it existed only as energy. That you needed another Stargate to turn it back into solid matter." ... Carter: "Yes! You see? It's the Stargate on the other side that actually reintegrates the matter into its pre-organized form." Carter: "Without it the energy in the wormhole would re-materialize in its base form. Now, in the case of a person, that would be very bad, but in the case of an element, it shouldn't be a problem."

City of Powers 3: Dark
"Have you run your fingers down the wall
And have you felt your neck skin crawl
When you're searching for the light?"
- Fear of the Dark, Iron Maiden

Having wrapped up our archetypes, it's time to bring the darkness. Punish your foes with Dark's ability to impair targets, and drain life energy!

Remember, the TTRPGs for Trans Rights in Florida bundle is still going. If you haven't already, it's 505 games for 5 USD, and includes a trio of adventures for Metahumans Rising.

#Metahumans #Superheroes #TTRPG #TTRPGSolidarity #TTRPGRising #COH #CityOfHeroes