• Clonus

"Now she's the queen of the bad dogs
She's the rumbling siren in a fog
And I'm the king of the submarines
Making horrible music for teens
You see me in your psychic visions
You feel me in your psychic visions"
- Electric Six

This unique collection of power sets offers heroes a multitude of options will targeting foes with a rarely resisted damage type.

#Metahumans #Superheroes #TTRPG #TTRPGSolidarity #TTRPGRising #COH #CityOfHeroes

tkdguy, I have been reading a 1993 "Lord of the Rings Adventure Game" supplement Over The Misty Mountains Cold; in a "GM Note" section discussing the difficulties of overland travel, the author remarks that "Elves usually travel on foot". Is this true? If so, why?

33 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

tkdguy, I have been reading a 1993 "Lord of the Rings Adventure Game" supplement Over The Misty Mountains Cold; in a "GM Note" section discussing the difficulties of overland travel, the author remarks that "Elves usually travel on foot". Is this true? If so, why?

I'm not sure how the author came to that conclusion, as many Elves were skilled riders. My best guess is that he was thinking about Frodo encountering a group of Elves led by Gildor when they were traveling to the Grey Havens. But Glorfindel rode a horse, and let Frodo ride it when the Nazgul were pursuing him.

And Legolas rode bareback on the horse (Hasufel or Arod, I never remember which) lent to him by Éomer; it was said that that was the Elven way with all good creatures. But Asfaloth wore a harness -- bell-bedecked, even -- and I think he shortened the stirrups for Frodo. A bit of cultural difference between Gondolindean Noldor and Silvan Elves?

41 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

And Legolas rode bareback on the horse (Hasufel or Arod, I never remember which) lent to him by Éomer; it was said that that was the Elven way with all good creatures. But Asfaloth wore a harness -- bell-bedecked, even -- and I think he shortened the stirrups for Frodo. A bit of cultural difference between Gondolindean Noldor and Silvan Elves?

IIRC, it was one of those items that escaped editing. Tolkien often changed his mind on many details.

But it's possible that Elves ride bareback for regular travel and use harnesses when there's a possibility of conflict. Legolas didn't ride his horse into battle.

--- --- ---

2 hours ago, tkdguy said:

I'm not sure how the author came to that conclusion, as many Elves were skilled riders. My best guess is that he was thinking about Frodo encountering a group of Elves led by Gildor when they were traveling to the Grey Havens. But Glorfindel rode a horse, and let Frodo ride it when the Nazgul were pursuing him.

Something to do with wanting to spare beasts from the rigors of long-distance travel, perhaps? This may be a regional consideration, as the supplement deals with a particular stretch of Middle-Earth.

spacer.png

On numerous occasions, an observer will have witnessed her ardent nature while she championed various causes; now, imagine a fraction of that passion expressed atop a bedroll in a moonlit glade. Whatever reservations the MC may have had during the initial stages of their courtship must have quickly faded away once he accepted that they were past the "mentor and student" level of interaction they adopted when he was still wide-eyed. Hats off to the creative talent for skillfully handling what could have been an all-around awkward series of amorous advances.