How to build up a power?

VictorVonDoom

How do i build up a power?

1)how do i know how much d6 a power will have?

2)how do i know how much active points a power has?

3)Does how many activepoints you put in a power help to build up the sort of damage a power does or is that another calculation? If it is please add to the formula

I know you need 1) the cost per power

I want to build up a power first without advantages and limitations .

Is there a step-by-step help how to build up a power?

eg ForceField or Energyblast... of anything you like to create an example; please add what the formula looks like

Example Power

Tough Rubbery Body:

Armor, 6 PD 6 ED (18 Active Points)

Hardened (+1/4)

Total Active Cost: 22 (18 * 1.25)

Real Cost: 22

The above example has no limitations, so the active and real costs are the same. As to how I chose how much armor, it is very subjective and depends on the character. When thinking about this character, I wanted him to take some damage from large caliber guns, but be able to shrug off the average pistol shot. So, I looked at pistols, see the are around 1.5d6 Killing, which is an average of 5.5 Body so I bought 6PD armor.

I am not sure I answered your question, but I am willing to try again if you tell me more about what you want.

- Ernie

Real Cost

Real Cost = (Active Cost / (1 + Limitation Cost)

So if the power from above had an activation cost:

Tough Rubbery Body:

Armor, 6 PD 6 ED (18 Active Points)

Hardened (+1/4)

Activation 14- (-1/2)

Total Active Cost: 22 (18 * 1.25)

Real Cost: 15 (22 / (1 + .5))

Does that help?

- Ernie

an energy blast does 1d6 per 5 active points put just into the raw energy blast.

so 20pts gives you 4d6 20/5 = 4

with no modifiers the real cost equals the active points, so I could buy a 4d6 eb for 20 real cost.

an advantage does not change the number of dice, it adds some other advantage and increases the cost.

so if I wanted the energy blast to be armor piercing, that is a +1/2 advantage.

to find the real cost with an advantage, you add 1 plus the advantage (or sum of the advantages) and multiply that by the base cost of the power. [You add 1 because the advantages add to the cost, you could not add 1, and then the result would be the additional cost and you would add the base cost to it.]

20 points X (1 + 1/2)

= 20 X 1.5

= 30

so 4d6 eb with armor piercing is 30 real cost.

Base cost = the cost of the power before any advantages or disadvantages are figured in.

Active cost == the cost of the power AFTER advantages but BEFORE disadvantages. This is the figure that determines END cost for example.

Real cost = the cost of the power after advantages AND disadvantages have been figured. It is actual price, in character points, the power will cost unless it is in a framework.

Originally posted by dugfromthearth

an energy blast does 1d6 per 5 active points put just into the raw energy blast.

so 20pts gives you 4d6 20/5 = 4

with no modifiers the real cost equals the active points, so I could buy a 4d6 eb for 20 real cost.

an advantage does not change the number of dice, it adds some other advantage and increases the cost.

so if I wanted the energy blast to be armor piercing, that is a +1/2 advantage.

to find the real cost with an advantage, you add 1 plus the advantage (or sum of the advantages) and multiply that by the base cost of the power. [You add 1 because the advantages add to the cost, you could not add 1, and then the result would be the additional cost and you would add the base cost to it.]

20 points X (1 + 1/2)

= 20 X 1.5

= 30

so 4d6 eb with armor piercing is 30 real cost.

That is all correct.