Suppress Body with Invisible Effects

ned-kogar

Re: Suppress Body with Invisible Effects

Well, if it's not further modified from what you describe and taken literally...

The door, for one, would no longer lock or even latch. With nothing obviously wrong with it, it won't keep anyone in or out.

But if you're doing enough BODy, the same is true for walls. The walls would have invisible holes all through them, perhaps to the point of being all hole.

And what about the floor? Enough "damage" to the floor and everyone - and everything - on it should fall through. Even though it's still apparently there.

This is a Power that will call for some judgment calls I think.

Lucius Alexander

Suppress Palindromedary

The way I understand it when you suppress an objects Body it is destroyed. IPA means the cause and maybe the damage is not shown but it is essentially destroyed. Sure...you could use it that way...I'm not sure this would work if you want the user to be able to shut off the power and have it return to a functional state. For that effect you may need transform...not sure...

I think part of the issue is that Suppress vs. living targets can kill but only if they reach their negative BODY score. But as others have already pointed out, inanimate objects get destroyed at 0 Body. I think Suppress is probably the right power but the description needs to have a more specific sfx.

I'm not so worried about the object being destroyed forever, as the APG states that, though crumbling to its component pieces at 0 Body, it instantly reassembles when the Suppress stops - I think the IPA: Fully Invisible (+1) covers the non-crumbling aspect nicely (ie. all the utitlity of the power, without the visible result).

The problem of fall-through floors and walls, etc (which falls outside what I was originally considering, so thanks for pointing it out) could be dealt with by adding something like: Only vs. devices with an operatable function (-1/2?).

This is a power for a sort of 'conceptual gremlin': things which have a mechanical / electrical / dynamic / operatable function cease to function when he turns on his Suppression field. Locks jam, cars fail to start, radios crackle into silence, lights blink out. A bed would not collapse, a ceiling wouldn't cave in, acid would not cease to burn, a sofa spring would not snap, etc. Hmm - it's harder to describe than I thought... does a door count as a machine?

Something like: Suppress 4d6 (standard effect: 12 points), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (60 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Custom Modifier (Only vs operatable inanimate objects; -1/2) 30pts, 6 End/phase

The Device Malfunction Table means that the Suppress could have a chance of some effect even before 0 Body, which I like.

[Hmm. Actually, Ex-machina might be a good model here]

A big question is: how to make it function vs appropriate foci....

Ned

uoo?

It's more that I was worried about foci having Body based on the AP of the powers that focus provides, but I've just noticed the

'A Focus is destroyed when it loses all of its powers, or when any single attack against it does two times (2x) its PD/ED in BODY, at the GM’s option' rule, which helps a lot.

Ned