Toy Story Hero?

Steve

My daughter has developed a fondness for the Toy Story movies, watching them over and over.

Has anyone ever done a sort of Toy Story Hero campaign? They would seem to be set up as low-point Heroes as they are portrayed in the movies, maybe with a few little special abilities (like Buzz being able to jump pretty far with an Acrobatics roll).

Re: Toy Story Hero?

My daughter has developed a fondness for the Toy Story movies, watching them over and over.

Has anyone ever done a sort of Toy Story Hero campaign? They would seem to be set up as low-point Heroes as they are portrayed in the movies, maybe with a few little special abilities (like Buzz being able to jump pretty far with an Acrobatics roll).

In addition to Mr Mattinglys aforementioned "Big Brawl" characters (copies of which can be found here (at the bottom of the page): http://surbrook.devermore.net/bigbrawl/bigbrawl.html ) there is also this version

( http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationswesternanimation/asstd_movie/buzz.html ) of our hero of Star command Buzz Lightyear..

If you get the chance to see it somehow, your daughter (and you) may enjoy the syndicated animation series "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command". It tells the story of some of Buzzs' adventures before his landing in Andys room. Some details can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Lightyear_of_Star_Command Some of the episodes and characters do have some gaming potential....IMNSHO.

EDIT: Oh, and there is also this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Lightyear_of_Star_Command:_The_Adventure_Begins that might be used as source material...

-Carl-

Thanks for the suggestions and links. The Woody write-up looks really nice, since I was curious to see how the Toy Story characters would be written up with the abilities they showed in the movies. Woody does have Luck, which I saw on Dave's write-up for him. Buzz's write-ups were not quite what I was looking for, since his laser wouldn't actually work in the movie version, but the Space Ranger's version would. For movie version Buzz, the two abilities I see him as having are providing light by glowing in the dark and his "falling with style" Gliding/Superleap.

Rep to you both.

I work at a bookstore and we spent a month with TS playing on a screen and me and another gamer started talking about what would cause Buzz to act like he did.

After a bit of discussion, we decided it most closely approximated a psychosis where he believed he was really alive and that he was Buzz Lightyear, anything that contradicted that was ignored or re-written by him. At least until he was faced with the image of himself on a TV, then the doubt began, and when he tried to fly, and failed, his conviction in the psychosis failed.

Now, there was a one-shot adventure book that used cards as the random generator called "Psychosis: Ship of Fools" in which your characters had to save a colony ship while dealing with various psychosis brought on by sudden revival from deep-sleep.

So, we started talking about a game based on this premise: what if the characters were all toys suffering from the false belief that they were alive (or at least real vs being a toy). Originally I was looking at White Wolf, but then you have the issue of why can't I play a Ventrue or a Glasswalker? Then I started going through my Hero books and realized that it was a much better solution.

Here's some of the key ideas I was working on:

Truth: this is how much of the truth you know and accept, ranges from 1-10, if doing a campaign dependant on finding the Truth, characters should start at level 1, if you're just running around your childs bedroom anything goes. It has some importance since you can use your level of Truth to protect yourself from another characters special abilities. (Truth, Base 1, 5 points per level; it may be better to set this up as a Perk or Talent since it has a limit)

Belief: A child imbues his toys with a bit of his imagination, this allows toys to delve into their psychosis to do things that they normally wouldn't be able to do (or to convince other toys that they had). Since belief powers any special abilities it is very important, but it also allows them to act like they are alive. Unlike Truth, there is no upper limit and toys should start with a number of points. Since toys really don't need an END characteristicyou can just use that or you can add a Belief characteristic.

In general, a character can be anything or anyone, but there are some limits on the powers:

Automation Powers: Even though the characters are basically golems, they do not start with any automaton powers since (most of them) believe that they are living beings. This is an aspect of their psychosis, after they gain some levels of truth they can purchase automaton powers to reflect their acceptance

Extra-Dimensional Movement: Not allowed, If key to a character; tell him it's unavailable at this time, allow him to buy a focus as a placeholder, when he discovers the truth, allow him to sell back the focus.

FTL Travel: as above

Flight: May be bought so long as a hard ceiling limitation is taken (normally about 10m); if they complain, tell them it's reducing the cost, it doesn't matter if they take the limitation or not they still have it, if sthe situation changes you will allow them to extend the limit, or remove the limits entirely.

Teleportation: must have some kind of Line of Sight limitation, cannot pass through physical barriers (Must Pass Through Intervening Space is close); so no Blind Teleports or anything similar. So, you can't teleport into a closed contained, like a beachball. But, if there is an opening, like a hamster ball, a character could "teleport" inside it.

Anytime you limit or prevent a power from being purchased or used, think of how the character would rationalize it. Why can't superman fly more then 10m up? Luthor must have laced the air with Kryptonite! Why can't the mage teleport into the mystical sphere? It must either be composed of some anti-magic material or be enchanted to prevent teleports from working. If they get frustrated because they can't use the power like they wanted to, consider allowing them to use the points on something else