Brain in a box

TheFool1972

All right,

Thanks for the ideas!

I think that the best option would be to build him in totality with the robot chassie, and to give a 1/4 disad to the powers that are a part of the robot. To fix the issue with being helpless in box mode, I would give him a base str of zero, and pay for all str as a power with the 1/4 disad as well. Then I give him a basic 10-15 point disad for being a brain-in-a-box on occasion.

What do you guys think? Seem fair?

Also, I think I should buy him body and stun directly for the body, in addition to his own. Then, when that gives out, his body is trashed.

The Fool

"That's the third body this week you have totaled Mr. Cruse. I don't think your insurance will cover you any more..."

Originally posted by TheFool1972

All right,

Thanks for the ideas!

I think that the best option would be to build him in totality with the robot chassie, and to give a 1/4 disad to the powers that are a part of the robot. To fix the issue with being helpless in box mode, I would give him a base str of zero, and pay for all str as a power with the 1/4 disad as well. Then I give him a basic 10-15 point disad for being a brain-in-a-box on occasion.

What do you guys think? Seem fair?

Also, I think I should buy him body and stun directly for the body, in addition to his own. Then, when that gives out, his body is trashed.

The Fool

"That's the third body this week you have totaled Mr. Cruse. I don't think your insurance will cover you any more..."

That sounds like a reasonable way to handle it. However, buying Body and Stun in that way technically means you lose your Body and Stun first, and then the ones from the robot (this is from the FAQ and/or the Rules Discussion Board--I forget which), so this might need a dramatic license ruling.

Originally posted by Farkling

Just buy all the Robot powers as "only in Hero ID" instead of using a focus limitation. :)

I agree here. It might be the most common cheezy-munchkin Limitation, especially if you apply it to buying up bought down Characteristics, but it really leaves you stuck when out of the robot and you seems to be wanting to play the character instead of the stats.

Now if Champsguy wanted this it'd be a different story...where's Champsguy anyway?

Here's another one out of left field:

Build Boxbrain as an AI!!! They don't have any physical stats anyway, so you can spend all those points on INT, EGO, DEX, SPD, and massive skills. Boxbrain can't do anything physically useful without the body anyway. This means there's no points for buying down stats, nor for physical disads, but it gets the point across.

Then build the robot body as:

a) a vehicle. Off the top of my (non-box) head, this appeals to me the most, as it seems the most poetic, and leaves the door wide open for others to take it for a spin, to develop alternate robot "bodies" (tanks? helicopters?), and to track damage as a sepqrate entity from Boxbrain

B) an OIF for all the stats and powers that the body's equipped with. More complex math than (a), but probably more consistent with the way most characters are built.

c) an Automaton! (as a "Follower?") Especially if it has basic self-control circuits which enable it to maintain simple tasks while Brain does other stuff ("Punch a hole in this wall while I use my Photographic Memory and INT of 30 to review the last three years of Playmate photos..."). Also leaves open the possibility of dire or humorous things happening when the robot goes uncontrolled. This makes it possible for the thing to even wander off by itself and get in trouble, not to mention taking damage in combat.

I haven't done any math around this, just spouting ideas.

Tried the box as an AI... Ran into a wall about how to give it physical stats such as body and stun...

No rules for it, I would still have to make a body for the ai box, and then another for the robot body.

Not a pretty method... Seems to be too far off the beaten path.

The Fool

"Tab A into Slot B? What Tab? What Slot?"