Social Chameleon

Selganor

I was wondering how anybody would build a "Social Chameleon", i.e. somebody who fits right into almost every group of people.

As there are only PSL for combat, I was thinking about something like:

3d6 Mental Illusions Area Effect 1 hex (+1/2), Megascale (+1/2), 0 End (+1/2) 37 Active Only to seem to be likeable (-1/2), Requires a Conversation Skill Roll (-1/2), Target's mind dictates exact appearance (-1/2)

Real Cost 15

Or has anybody already done something different?

I don't see any reason not to use Penalty Skill Levels with as many skill groups or types as you like (with the GM's OK).

That said, I'd just go with a high PRE and the basic PRE skills for this. For an extreme example look in the Character Challenge thread for Master Thespian; you can do a heck of a lot using PRE and social skills as powers.

Originally posted by OddHat

I don't see any reason not to use Penalty Skill Levels with as many skill groups or types as you like (with the GM's OK).

That said, I'd just go with a high PRE and the basic PRE skills for this. For an extreme example look in the Character Challenge thread for Master Thespian; you can do a heck of a lot using PRE and social skills as powers.

I've been allowing PSL's for skills myself. One good example from my PC's are "McGuyver Levels" -- 3-pt PSL's versus the penalty for having insufficient tools.

I've debated capping PSL's for skills at 4 per penalty to maintain the idea that some things are just impossible -- but so far it hasn't been an issue.

In your case, I would follow OddHat's recommendation -- buy up PRE and purchase some PSL's versus incompatible culture. If you have Star HERO I seem to recall there are some suggested mechanics for determining the penalty.

One thing though: if your players spend points on something like this, as GM you need to make sure it matters at least occasionally.

If this is just getting along with everybody, I would call it a talent but buy it as penalty skill levels.

Say -3 penalty for different social group that is still basically the same (non-alien, non-brainwashed cult members, etc), and a -5 penalty for completely alien social group.

But penalty skill levels for all social skills, which I think would be 3pt levels. So 9pts would let you blend in with any generally normal culture and 15 would let you blend in even with alien cultures.

Now of course you have to also buy the social skills.

And disguise might be good so that your looks fit in - could be as simple as putting on a coat and tie to fit the corporate look, untucking your shirt and turning your baseball cap around backwards, etc. Or you you could call the appearance change just a special effect if you want to seem like yourself, just be accepted.

I, too, think Skills are underused. This is what they are for. Particularly Acting, Conversation, and Seduction (read the description of that one carefully--it is much more useful than the name implies). Maybe Disguise and High Society for some situations, too.

And why is everyone so happy over Penalty Skill Levels? Sounds like you're all just looking for point breaks. Just buy straight Skill Levels; this is what they're for!

Originally posted by prestidigitator

And why is everyone so happy over Penalty Skill Levels? Sounds like you're all just looking for point breaks. Just buy straight Skill Levels; this is what they're for!

He's not looking for someone who's a great actor, coversationalist and diplomat. He's looking for someone who is just as good at talking to bikers as he is at talking to businessmen. That's what penalty skill levels are for. ;)

The idea of getting a power/telent like that came when our heroes had a party with their neighbors (in our Secret IDs) and I found that not only did I get along with ALL neighbors but even the "women" had already planned for me to join their "knitting group", Book club and also the "girl's night out" (no, I'm neither female nor gay) and the "men" also planned for me to join their football team and other "manly" activities...

Originally posted by OddHat

He's not looking for someone who's a great actor, coversationalist and diplomat. He's looking for someone who is just as good at talking to bikers as he is at talking to businessmen. That's what penalty skill levels are for. ;)

I still don't think Penalty Skill Levels are appropriate, unless you mean they negate penalties due to, say, being dressed wrong (for all social rolls: 2-point, probably), or being the wrong ethnicity or something. I guess in this case a character could go into a situation without having to "fit in," but that doesn't sound like a chameleon to me. In fact, someone will Penalty Skill Levels like this would probably stand out rather than blending in: "He's white, but he's still cool," or, "Man, can that fellow talk stocks, even if he does look like a street bum...."

Everyone should have the same chance at succeeding with social rolls when talking to bikers or businessmen, unless (s)he is set back by his/her appearence (Disguise), dialect (Mimicry), knowlege (Streetwise, High Society, KSs...), etc. This is still better handled through straight Skill Levels or Complementary Skills, IMO. You either know what you are talking about and who you are dealing with (Complementary Skills), or you are a great conversationalist, diplomat, etc. (SLs).

Originally posted by Dust Raven

+4 Vs. Interaction Penalties do to Culture, Race, Backgrount, etc w/ All Skills: 12 Points.

This should even cover racial, cultrual hatreds and even make up for how the character is dressed at the time.

I don't think this is the way PSLs work, dude. They go the other way. They apply to a specific penalty, and increase in value based on when they apply. That means they aren't "+1 vs. Interaction penalties due to...," but rather, "+1 vs. penalties due to having the wrong culture, all interaction rolls." These would probably be 2-point PSLs, because they wouldn't apply to, say, Knowlege Skills and cultural PSs, but you'd have to have them for each specific penalty you are trying to negate.

Take Range Levels as an example. They aren't "+1 with bows, only to negate penalties due to range," which could logically be improved to, "+1 with bows, only to negate penalties." They are, "+1 to negate range penalties, with bows," which can be improved to, "+1 to negate range penalties."

I think the PSL's are a good approach to the concept, and would use that approach myself...

But I have to join pres in quibbling on the price structure. I think they have to be bought for a specific thing as stated.

pg 46: reduces a specific type of negative for making particular types of attacks.

3 pt levels are for a SPECIFIC negative with ALL attacks...

so, we now extend this with the Bow analogy

1.5 pts +1 Ranged PSL, with bows

2 pts +1 Ranged PSL, with bows, x-bows, pistols

3 pts +1 Ranged PSL, with all attacks.

So, the Interaction PSL's become::

+4 Interaction PSL's with Cultural Penalties, all skills

+4 Interaction PSL's with Race Penalties, all skills

+4 Interaction PSL's with Background Penalties, all skills

ouch. - 36 points to blend in anywhere...

But actually, for the normal person, the penalty is rarely above -2 (in a single category) for only the socially isolated cultures, so it becomes::

+2 Interaction PSL's with Cultural Penalties, all skills

+2 Interaction PSL's with Race Penalties, all skills

+2 Interaction PSL's with Background Penalties, all skills

Hmm....18 points is still a little high, but much more reasonable.

+2 Interaction PSL's with Cultural Penalties, Social skills

+2 Interaction PSL's with Race Penalties, Social skills

+2 Interaction PSL's with Background Penalties, Social skills

If Social skills is a tight group...it becomes 12 points. Far more reasonable to me...and in line with Raven's estimate.

Let's stop and galnce at powers::

Mind Control, Area Effect Radius (+1 1/2, 4xArea), 6d6 - Standard - 18, 0 END (+1/2), Persistant (+1/2), Cumulative (+1/2), No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Must achieve EGO+20 for no memory (-1), Set Effect (I was so cool) (-1/2) -- Hmm...that's 30x3/2.5 = 36 pts...hmmm....doesn't cover TV or stadiums.

Mental Illusions comes up about the same. Major changes, Set Effect, Believed after ending work out to about the same limitations.

Shape Shift to appear cool? I have class...I'll ponder on that later tonight.

Originally posted by prestidigitator

I don't think this is the way PSLs work, dude. They go the other way. They apply to a specific penalty, and increase in value based on when they apply. That means they aren't "+1 vs. Interaction penalties due to...," but rather, "+1 vs. penalties due to having the wrong culture, all interaction rolls." These would probably be 2-point PSLs, because they wouldn't apply to, say, Knowlege Skills and cultural PSs, but you'd have to have them for each specific penalty you are trying to negate.

Take Range Levels as an example. They aren't "+1 with bows, only to negate penalties due to range," which could logically be improved to, "+1 with bows, only to negate penalties." They are, "+1 to negate range penalties, with bows," which can be improved to, "+1 to negate range penalties."

Semantics. There is no difference in how we do it...only in how we write it down. The end result is the same. Wether they cost 2 or 3 points would be the decision of the GM. I'd say 3 because they would apply in any situation, not a limited cireumstance.

Originally posted by Farkling

I think the PSL's are a good approach to the concept, and would use that approach myself...

But I have to join pres in quibbling on the price structure. I think they have to be bought for a specific thing as stated.

+2 Interaction PSL's with Cultural Penalties, Social skills

+2 Interaction PSL's with Race Penalties, Social skills

+2 Interaction PSL's with Background Penalties, Social skills

If Social skills is a tight group...it becomes 12 points. Far more reasonable to me...and in line with Raven's estimate.

This would work just as well too. Actually, I'm unaware of whatever the penalties would be in any situation. I just prefer to group them together because, individually, they aren't often significent penalties.

To SIDE TRACK this slightly:

A house rule of mine that could help is that if a character has a Skill enhancer and points he can spend them in play to add skills, with this you could take Traveler, and just start getting CulKnowledge skills as you go.

The rule has one hitch, you need to give the Skill Enhancer a explanation (In this case it is a social cameleon) that dictated what skills you can take this way (So for you you can't take any AK skills)

I hadn't intended for the Chameleon to be a "big" effect, just a little quirk for my secret ID. I intend to put an "only in Secret ID" limit on the chameleon as my Hero ID is not very socially adept... Being an immortal shard of a death god and the like...

OK, the secret ID is still immortal, but he's at least a social being who loves being around "normal" people with "normal" problems...