Church and State (M&M Superlink)

Clonus

So I was looking through my DrivethruRPG Pakistan Relief Bundle, and I found this. I thought it was quite remarkable. OK, the first thing I thought was that it was going to be set in the year 1000 BCE. Because you know, I kind of like the idea of super heros in the actual bronze age. Once that brain slip was dealt with, though, I kind of wondered about the author, one "Bradley Robins".

From the theme and tone section: In terms of theme and tone, Church and State is a Bronze Age adventure, reflecting the feel of comics such as The Ultimates and The Authority.

OK, so it's written by some punk kid who knows nothing about the history of comic books. As you might expect, Church and State is thoroughly modern in sensibility, which tends to explain why it has all that advice about what to do if your players decide to handle problems with mass murder. It also explains why the biggest menace to the city aren't the villains, but the heroes. The only way it could be more modern is by adding cannibal rapists, or zombies.

But you know...it really is inspired by the best in the modern age of comics. An angel or angel-like being espousing the church line on gay marriage is bumping heads with an anarchist and atheist superhero, each super-charismatic and with enough followers that they could tear the city apart, and a manipulative mob guy is steering them into all-out war to discredit heroes in general so that his people will have a free hand to run things.

It's well-thought-out, and the supervillains, secondary though they are to what's going on are good too. I'd recommend it even outside the bundle.