How Do You Build Sneezing Powder?

Fazhoul

My group is currently playing a low-magic fantasy game and I came up with the idea of using a sneezing powder (one of the characters is sort of an alchemist) that we could throw at a spellcaster to disrupt the Incantation portion of the spell if we are targeted. The only way that I've been able come up with is a Darkness vs sound with the special effect being that the target is sneezing. I would make it sticky so that the spellcaster can't simply walk out of the area of effect. Does anyone else have any better ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

Fazhoul

Re: How Do You Build Sneezing Powder?

Method 1: Flash versus Sight and Hearing groups. (Optional) Change Environment to add penalties, linked to the Flash and only effective so long as the Flash is.

Method 2: Change Environment. Give it a turn of Long Lasting. Example:

Sneezing Powder: Change Environment (-2 to Hearing Group PER Rolls, -2 to Sight Group PER Rolls, -2 Characteristic Roll and all Skill Rolls based on Characteristic (DEX), Long-Lasting 1 Turn) (22 Active Points); 1 Charge (-2), Instant (-1/2), OIF Expendable (Easy to obtain new Focus; -1/2), Range Based On Strength (-1/4), Real Weapon (-1/4), Side Effects (-1/4) Real Cost: 5
Adjust to fit your concept.

what effect do you want from sneezing? just to be blind to the smell/taste group? or dehibilitating sneezing fits? or causing them to sneeze so hard their chest hurts?

What I'm looking for is to stop a spellcaster from speaking the incantation to cast his spell. So it's just speech that I want to affect. I think that the Flash vs. Speech is the best option that's been suggested so far. I don't like the Flash vs. Sight & Hearing coupled with Change Environment. It's a lot of trouble and still doesn't really do what I want the power to do.

It sounds like this might be some variant of entangle. I know if you grab someone in the head limb you can keep them from using incantations, and incantations doesn't cost any more than restrainable, so I'd be going for an entangle resisted with CON or EGO probably. The only reason I don't like Flash, is it seems like it would be too cheap.

Sneezing powder: Voice Group Flash 6d6, Area Of Effect (2m Line; +1/4) (22 Active Points); Limited Power Power loses about half of its effectiveness (If target makes a CON roll, no effect; -1), OAF (-1), 4 Charges (-1), No Range (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4) 5 Real Points

Another possibility might be NND vs Self-Contained Breathing, Only To Check For Stunned Condition (-1), possibly with Time Limit for a continued effect.

With a 4-5d6 NND, this would likely incapacitate an unprotected caster temporarily, with recovering from sneezing being the sfx of Recovering from being Stunned.

While temporary incapacitation might not be exactly what was asked for, it would be consistent with most other gas-based attacks in how to defend against it.

I don't want to completely incapacitate the target, just inhibit hie ability to speak. I'm actually trying to create a subtle power that will only inhibit the target's ability to speak effectively. I've always thought that any spells that have the Incantations limitation need to have the Incantation spoken correctly for the spell to work. No mispronunciations, no sneezes, etc. The target could still run away or use items that weren't too complex. An Entangle would do the same but I don't want to disable the target's entire body.

I'd say Flash Sight, Smell/Taste, Voice, Constant (so it keeps hitting them), Time Limit (however long you want them to sneeze for), and an Activation Roll. Every Phase during the Time Limit you roll Activation, and if it activates they get Flashed. While they're Flashed they're sneezing the whole time and can't see (try to sneeze with your eyes open), smell, or speak.