I just got 6E today and I'm looking to build an unusual character: Black Falcon.

Pizza Man

I'll leave her write up below.

I haven't played Champions since the 90's. So I'm going back to school now.

I'm probably going to have to DM, since I'm new to my city an I always have to start out DMing. I'ld rather play, but thems the brakes. So Black Falcon will likely start life as an NPC.

Falcon is all about matter destruction, Her touch can destroy non-living matter. against the living, she can only stun. Guys in power suits, beware.

PS, I don't need full play sheet, just a few pointers.

Just from my memory (haven't cracked 6E yet), BF will need A Darkness area of effect, a transform, and a Drain Health.

Her signature attack (lifted from COH's darkness scrapper), is a rapid fire punch attack. And this is what I'm likely going to need help with.

Also, I have no idea how to buy the connection with the Private Investigations Agency.

OK, so here's the write up. This and a great art gallery can be found on my DA page in my link.

NAME: Black Falcon

ALIAS: Natasha Faraday

ORIGIN: Meta

POWERS: Darkness/corrosive energies

At 23, she’s a slim 115 pounds, 5’2”, light brown hair that matches her wings, and blue eyes. She’s as pretty as a super model. BF is a bubbly, spontaneous, energetic girl. She’s always quick to smile, and loves to tell jokes. Crime fighting is excitement for her, not a grim duty.

Metropolis knows her as a heroine, but the nation is far more familiar with Black Falcon, the masked TV spokeswoman for Wayne Enterprises. Her good looks, wings and skimpy outfit has made her a favorite on the internet, and launched a second career in commercials. But her first love is crime fighting. **She’s a bit more violent and less concerned with property damage than other heroes, but that’s why she wears a mask-no litigation.** She loves fighting Lex Corps for the sheer variety of troops, and she hates zombies, because they smell bad and squish when you hit them.

Natasha Faraday was born a meta-human. Her parents are the retired super villians, Velver Viper and Speed Demon. Regretting their previous lives as villains, the family kept moving, always looking over their shoulders. They pressed upon the young Natasha the importance of secrecy-your sins will find you out. Seeing the fear her parents lived in, Little Natasha swore never to do anything that would endanger them.

Life changed when she entered high school. With adolescence came her powers. Keeping a secret is the hardest thing for a teen, but a life lived in fear had prepared her well.

She could sprout wings at will. But the deadly darkness terrified her at first. Her hands could channel a black corrosive energy that damaged anything it touched. Black tendrils of smoke would leak from her fists. A punch could crumple solid metal as easily as if she had super strength. She could place her hands on a wall, letting the darkness seep in. Pulling away suddenly, she could collapse the entire side of a building. Simply touching a person (near the heart or head) would induce unconsciousness-its been described as having a piece of your soul ripped away.

Physically, she's about three times as fast/strong as normal human. A swipe of her wing could fling a man across the room. Bullets will sting, but bounce off her. Her dark powers enhanced even her physical attributes.

Her parents moved again at this point to a place deep in the country. Here they tutored their girl to use and understand her powers-not to fear them. Her mother made her first costume. Her father drove home the point that to be a villain was to live in fear. No possible gain was worth that.

Upon her triumphant return to Metropolis, she became a hero. Her charm caught first the attention of the Daily Planet, then the local TV stations, and then Wayne Enterprises (who came up with a novel way to pay her and yet keep her identity a secret). She would be horrified to learn that Batman has watched all along, knowing her family's secret.

Today, Black Falcon lives in a posh Metropolis apartment. She lives off her commercial endorsements. She is also a part owner of a trendy high rise bar. All in all, Black Falcon is a gal on the move.

Her biggest secret is a small army of Private Eyes she employs. She’s not a natural detective, and so she built a camera and radio into her mask. Her favorite PI is a grizzled retiree named Madigan (who himself was a hero back in the day). Her camera feed goes straight to his agency (Metropolis Investigations), and she can access any number of agents (she can end up with four or five of them walking through a mission with her). The favorite duty at the agency is Falcon Vision, they get to sit in easy chairs and give advice to a gal who does all the hard work.

I'll be posting my write up here, I'm open to any critique. This will be my tutorial back into Pen and Paper gaming.

So I'm to start reading, I'll post in a day or so.

Re: I just got 6E today and I'm looking to build an unusual character: Black Falcon.

OK, I got the standard power point allotment is 400. But there is just a quick build guide to power sets in the back.

I was thinking in terms of a generic list of powers and their costs. Is there a supplement that lets you build your own powers?

In the day there was just: Energy Blast (1D6 of damage for 5 points) and you defined what it was yourself. And you added limitations, and advantages yourself.

Re: I just got 6E today and I'm looking to build an unusual character: Black Falcon.

Um...which book did you buy exactly? The Champions genre book? If so...well...bad news, no rules to be found in there, its just a genre supplement.

You're going to need either:

HERO 6e Basic

or

HERO 6e Volume I: Character Creation and HERO 6e Volume II: Combat & Adventuring

for the rules.

If you've got money to burn, go with the two full hardbacks. If not, Basic is much less costly (and substantially smaller), and has pretty much everything you need. If you are used to 3e or 4e era HERO, Basic is probably going to be less of a shock for you.

Curses. I thought the Champions Super Hero book would have super hero rules...

OK, back to the store.

You could just get the Basic Rulebook pdf from the company store, and then if you like that upgrade to the full hardback rules.

As an aside, the 6e core books are beautiful, full color, with high production values. Easily the prettiest version of the HERO System in any incarnation.

Oh...and welcome back!

Curses. I thought the Champions Super Hero book would have super hero rules...

OK, back to the store.

No it's about how to use the rules to play a Super Hero genre game.

You might want to consider getting this character tunneling. It is usually the most efficient way of dealing with inanimate objects.

As for the rapid fire punch, IIRC it acts like a STUN transfer with no range. The rapid fire part should just be a special effect, since unlike autofire in Hero all your shots either hit or miss. You never score with some of punches in the combo and miss with others.

YES! I did buy tunneling! I've been making a list of powers in this thread, http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/83043-Black-Falcon-and-the-Corrosive-Energy-Darkness-Power-set?p=2103589#post2103589

BTW, what is IIRC? Ya got me there.

Ah, you are referring to "rapid fire." Thats an advantage? Its not in the basic rules (paperback), it should be in the core rules when I get them next week. I will look it up.

Arrrg! $80 bucks for both rule books!

No. Rapid fire is not an advantage, autofire is. It allow you to fire a burst shots in a single phase and the amount by which you make your to hit roll determines how many of the shots hit. However, I don't think this power is appropriate for a dark scrapper, because even though they throw a barrage of punches at once all the punches either hit or they all miss.

No. Rapid fire is not an advantage' date=' autofire is. It allow you to fire a burst shots in a single phase and the amount by which you make your to hit roll determines how many of the shots hit. However, I don't think this power is appropriate for a dark scrapper, because even though they throw a barrage of punches at once all the punches either hit or they all miss.[/quote']

OK, on the other thread, I bought a 12D6 energy attack at no range, that will have to do.

Thanks for being patient.

I seem to remember darkness scrappers getting a boost to there health whenever they used their hand to hand attack which is why I recommended transfer STUN. However, simply doing kick@ss damage gets the job done too.

OK, here is my first attempt at a starting character. I would like your feedback, especially with a susceptibility, and a few unnamed powers.

We are assuming this is a standard 400 pt 6E campaign with a 60 point limit, but the GM got talked into allowing 62 and 63 points.

Spoilers: What’s weird is I linked powers to a darkness field Its an open portal to an alternate plan of corrosive energy. AND I have two multi-powers, so I’m likely to be burning 12 END a phase. Shadow Aura is one I’m concerned GM’s might not allow.

--and yes, I know I might need more skills. How important is PRE now? I remember ignoring it in the 90’s.

--so bottom line, would you allow this character in your campaign?

BLACK FALCON

60 (Master Power) Darkness Field 20 Pd/20ED Force Field

Visual effects: It looks like BF is in the shade, wisps of black smoke swirl about her feet and wings. When the field is up, it means Black Falcon has opened the portal to a plane of corrosive dark energies. All other powers are dependent on this field being up and active. When she sleeps or is knocked unconscious, the field goes down.

13 (20) Power Defense Linked to darkness field

26 (45) Flight 30M, No END +1/2, Wings Restrainable -1/2, and only in Alternate ID -1/4 She can grow wings at will, but they are distinctive and would tear through her clothing. She must change first, as her costume allows for her wings growth.)

5 Life Support. Immune to terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents

3 (5) Night Vision (Lenses in mask OIF -1/2)

31 (63) Multi-Power Dark Prowess-1/2 linked, -1/2 no range

3) Shadow Punch 12D6 E Blast Darkness, No Range/Linked

3) Object Ruination: 14D6 Dispel Device/Object Variable Effect (any one Device/Object +1/2) No Range/Linked. Page 54, Powers book.

Black Falcon can warp and mold physical objects to break them, and ruin their properties/powers and so forth.

3) Shatter Limb: 4D6 Major Transform, Cumulative. No Range/Linked

Breaks arm or leg in several places at once. Not life threatening.

Healing, Aid, or normal recovery heals back the damage.

3) Dark Breath 6D6 NND. No Range/Linked. Defense is life support vs poison or self contained breathing/ gas mask or breathing equipment. Falcon breathes dark smoke into her victims’ face.

3) Dark Vapors: 4D6 NND area effect 8M. Defense is life support verses poison, self contained breathing, or simple breathing equipment (as above) No Range, linked. Falcon already immune to this.

2) Ruinous Touch. No range linked. Transfer to STUN

----------------------------------------------------------------

41 (62) Multi-Power The Dark Realm -1/2 linked

4) Darkness to sight group 10M personal immunity +1/4 linked

4) No Barriers: Bought to show her ease at moving through walls.

10m Tunneling through 25 PD Materials. Does not fill in afterwards

4) Shadow Tentacles: A Black Portal opens and shadowy tentacles entangle the victim. 6D6 Body 6 PD/ED Linked. This is a ranged attack!

3) Shadow Aura: Shadows swirl around Black Falcon. She becomes Hard to see. +4 to DCV (20), +1 OCV (10) and +50% Physical Damage Reduction (30) Costs End (6 total) Unified powers

3) Corrosive Aura: 4D6 Body Drain/Area of Effect 8M linked, --only vs Non living things—cannot effect the living

204 total points

---and its all done with a simple touch...

Skills

3 Stealth

3 Shadowing

3 Security systems

3 Computer Programming

3 Demolitions

2 Knowledge of Campaign city 11-

221 total powers and skills

Characteristics:

STR 15……………5

DEX 21…………..11

CON 30…………..20

INT 15……………5

EGO 10…………..0

PRE 10…………….0

OCV 7……………..20

DCV 7………………..20

OCMV 3………………..0

DCMV 3………………0

SPEED 5…………….30

PD 5…………..3

ED 5……………3

REC 24…………20

END 155……….27

BODY 15………..5

STUN 60…………..20

179 CHARCATERISTICS

221 POWERS/SKILLS

400 Total points

Complications 75

10 Distinctive Features: MUTANT Not concealable always noticed. Detected only by unusual senses.

20: Hunted Genocide (or whatever it’s called now) Giant robots!

15: Overconfidence: very common, moderate

15: Secret ID

20: Susceptibility: 2D6 every phase when mind controlled (uncommon)

Feel Free, I have more at my DA site, and the link to the guy I commissioned this from.

Cost me all of $20 bucks...

If you use it in a Blog or something, please link it back to my DA page (in sig below). Otherwise its free to use in any campaign without notice. peruse my Favorites gallery too, there are a number of hero commissions you could use.

Okay, let's see.

Offensive abilities. Check. Adequate defense. Check. Movement power. Check. Endurance to cover her powers. Check. Doesn't abuse the rules. Uhhh, wellll.

Okay, she needs to open a portal to the plane of corrosive dark energy to use her powers, but in game terms how is that a limitation? Her primary power that all the others are linked to is her force field. With her force field down this character could be taken out by any average punk with a handgun if he got in a lucky shot. Her first action at the start of any combat will be to turn on her force field and she would leave it on until the combat is over even if her other powers weren't linked to it. That is only sane and reasonable. You mentioned that her field would come down when she is asleep or unconscious, but she wouldn't be able to use any of her other powers if she were asleep or unconscious anyway.

It says character creation guide in big, bold, blue letters, "A limitation that doesn't limit the character isn't worth any any bonus!" The exclamation mark isn't something that I added, it's is in the book too. I'm hard pressed see any limitation in having to run her force field in order to access her other abilities. She would be running her force field pretty much all the time during combat anyway. Now if the force field was a damage shield instead, I could see that being worth a bonus. As it is there just doesn't seem to be anything justify all those saved points.

Were I your GM, I would probably steer you to Only In Alternate Identity in place of the Linked and you would need to trim your character a bit because OIAID isn't as big of a bonus. Of course, I am not your GM and ultimate say is up him or her.

My $0.02

Thank you for the feedback, that exactly what I was looking for. I was working with the basic book and thought i was all clever with the limitation disad.

Just got the Two core rules books today. Now I can research and come up with a reasonable character.

also what about this power? Its one I was worried about. Too much?

3) Shadow Aura: Shadows swirl around Black Falcon. She becomes Hard to see. +4 to DCV (20), +1 OCV (10) and +50% Physical Damage Reduction (30) Costs End (6 total) Unified powers

While Linked is probably not applicable, Unified Power would be appropriate (for the connection between the Darkness Field and other powers). Just watch out if any foe has a relevant Drain!

Feel Free, I have more at my DA site, and the link to the guy I commissioned this from.

Cost me all of $20 bucks...

If you use it in a Blog or something, please link it back to my DA page (in sig below). Otherwise its free to use in any campaign without notice. peruse my Favorites gallery too, there are a number of hero commissions you could use.

No, just that the overall look is close enough to my Raven villain that I can easily slip that pic in for her. Thanks.

Thank you for the feedback, that exactly what I was looking for. I was working with the basic book and thought i was all clever with the limitation disad.

Just got the Two core rules books today. Now I can research and come up with a reasonable character.

also what about this power? Its one I was worried about. Too much?

Yeah this one is a sleeper*. Combined with her force field, this could make Black Talon all but unstoppable. With an 11 DCV she is going to extremely hard to hit and when once you do have to get past 20 rPd/20 rED and on top of that if it is a physical attack you have to contend with 50% damage resistance. However none of these obstacles are insurmountable and depending on the monsters your GM is planning on throwing at her this power might not be excessive.

Are the other player's characters scarily built? Will any villain that gives Black Talon a run for her money eat them for lunch? She is pretty much a pure combat animal. If the other PCs aren't as tough, you might think about giving her more noncombat skills and bringing her down combat-wise to closer to the group average.

* - By sleeper I mean a GM could easily miss this power while looking at the write-up, and only "wake up" to difficult to it makes stopping the character once they see it in play.

Heh, sleepers. I had a tough gm in the 90's, and if we had a power he wouldn't likely approve, then we would add a totally ourageous power. He would so focus on that he would let the sleepers get by...

Hmmm. Maybe I'm giving away a player secret here.