Use it, and it's gone?

CalumX

I'm building a campaign with immortal characters - with a slight twist.. Each character has a reserve of energy that they are "born with", and any healing beyond human limits uses up some of that energy. As long as they have any energy left, they don't age - but that energy never returns, there is no way to make more. Healing from negatives would use some energy, restoring lost limbs a lot more, resurrection a huge amount, etc.. So, eventually, the character will run out of energy and become mortal.

I've some ideas, but how would you build this?

Re: Use it, and it's gone?

You could "link" all the powers granted by the "immortal package" to the reserve.

I have a similar thing right now - all my WWII character's powers have a limitation that they only function if the END reserve is not empty, and the END reserve has no recovery. But mine is a serum, the serum built as recoverable continuing charges for the END reserve.

Thanks for the help. The END pool does indeed feel like the right model this.. It just feels a bit wrong that running Regeneration from a non-recoverable END pool ends up costing more than just having Regeneration.. I often seem to run into problems like this when trying to model energy pools that dont work like standard END..

However, in this case, since every character will have this.. it doesnt matter. It's more important that it's natural in play. I can build it this way, define a package of END pool and associated powers, and just apply a package discount to it.

Thanks for the help. The END pool does indeed feel like the right model this.. It just feels a bit wrong that running Regeneration from a non-recoverable END pool ends up costing more than just having Regeneration.. I often seem to run into problems like this when trying to model energy pools that dont work like standard END..

However, in this case, since every character will have this.. it doesnt matter. It's more important that it's natural in play. I can build it this way, define a package of END pool and associated powers, and just apply a package discount to it.

Since every character will have it you can give it to them as an everyman thing - all part of the basic package with no extra cost. If you wanted, you could deduct the cost of the regeneration etc that the characters will use but the END pool is in the same boat as the default 2m running etc that characters get for free.

In other cases, where an END pool with no recovery is a good mechanic for a limited, finite resource, you as the GM can decide not to charge for it. It is a campaign disadvantage for a character and so should probably not cost them anything.

GMs are pretty hot on enforcing the edict that "if a complication or limitation does not limit or disadvantage a character then it is worth no points" but often less hot on the corollary that if something does not materially benefit or provide advantage to the character then it is also worth no points.

That could include anything you want (including rafts of 'colour' skills and knowledge) but you have to ensure that sneaky players do not seek to gain advantage from gifts you have given in such a way.

Doc

Doc

GMs are pretty hot on enforcing the edict that "if a complication or limitation does not limit or disadvantage a character then it is worth no points" but often less hot on the corollary that if something does not materially benefit or provide advantage to the character then it is also worth no points.

Repeated for emphasis!

[rep'd too recently, unfortunately]

Post your build on the Regen?

I would recommend the Regen not cost END; but that it requires the reserve to have END, then they spend END for other supernatural feats. It will be simpler for "bookkeeping" purposes that way.

Here is my character "Dash" for our WWII Campaign, PDF and HDC, if it helps:

[ATTACH]37798[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]37797[/ATTACH]

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I ended up putting together. Bearing in mind this is an everyman package for characters in this campaign.

Lifefire is a power imbued into these characters, and cannot be replaced at all. They cannot die while the Lifefire remains. They can't control when it heals them - the worse they get hurt, the more Lifefire it'll burn. I'm giving them the package for free, but any amendments from it have to be bought from scratch (ie, if you want cheaper Resurrection, I may allow it, but you have to buy it again, not just pay the difference). The Lifefire (END pool) has to be paid for.

Regeneration (1/hour): 8

No Conscious Control (Activates when character on negative body, whether or not they want it to): -2

Costs 1 END to activate: -0

Cost: 3 points, 1 END to activate

+ Heal Limbs: 5

Costs END to Activate: -1/4

2x END: -1/2

Cost: 3 points, 2 END to activate

+ Resurrection: 20

Costs END to Activate: -1/4

5x END: -2

Cost: 6 points, 20 END to activate

Then the Lifefire is bought as an END pool with no REC. The characters pay for how much they start with (there are rules for that, but I dont want to give those away in case people are reading) :)