FTL Newsfeed

tkdguy

Re: FTL Newsfeed

I always thought the Traveller News Service in Traveller was an interesting idea; considering that in that setting information travels only as fast as people (1 to 6 parsecs a week), you get a somewhat analogous situation to the news media during the Civil War. They should really have done a supplement with news snippets that might or might not be adventure seeds (maybe in the style of 76 Patrons).

Of course, I'm sure that if I were to get a newscast fragment from the 22nd Century, it'd be some blip from the sports section of the newscast and it'd be just the tag end of comment that went, "... and with their mathematical elimination today, the Seattle Mariners remain the only Major League baseball franchise never to have played in the World Series."

I always thought the Traveller News Service in Traveller was an interesting idea; considering that in that setting information travels only as fast as people (1 to 6 parsecs a week)' date=' you get a somewhat analogous situation to the news media during the Civil War. They should really have done a supplement with news snippets that might or might not be adventure seeds (maybe in the style of [i']76 Patrons[/i]).

The monthly TNS updates in Challenge magazine often served this exact purpose. And the entire run of Challenge is now available on CD (or for download, I think), so....