Mental Awareness AND Telepathy?

Mathew

I just noticed that Foresight in the Allies book has both Telepathy and Mental Awareness. I thought that being able to detect mental abilities was basically given to characters with mental powers by defaut, so isn't that buying something she already has?

Re: Mental Awareness AND Telepathy?

Yes, and on page 55 of the BBB that mental powers are invisible to those who don't have mental powers or Mental Awareness. So as Allies is 4th editon, isn't Foresight buying Mental Awareness buying something she already has? I'm not aware of any other 4th editon mentalist buying Mental Awareness, since they don't need it.

Yes' date=' and on page 55 of the BBB that mental powers are invisible to those who don't have mental powers or Mental Awareness. So as Allies is 4th editon, isn't Foresight buying Mental Awareness buying something she already has? I'm not aware of any other 4th editon mentalist buying Mental Awareness, since they don't need it.[/quote']

Possibly a house rule that slipped under the official publication radar.

It's a precursor of 6e?

Well, I'd probably limit her Telepathy to "Does not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4)". That will save way more, in all likelihood, than selling back the 3 point mental awareness.

I dunno if I like the idea of doing that. It seems like the old 'I'll take No Legs for 25 points and then buy Flight'. One of those something-for-nothing things.

I found one character where it makes more sense to buy it. In European Enemies there is the character of Mandelbrot who has Mental Awareness, but he also had Mind Control. The Mind Control is only vs. computers and through an OAF. I'd assume the free Mental Awareness he gets would also have those limitation, right? So he bought straight Mental Awareness to have it without any limitations.

One problem I have with Mandelbrot though is how he bought a 80 point "computer", but also has several powers with "OAF Computer"... either make it a focus for powers OR a computer Follower. I don't see the logic in making both. If it's a follower, then the follower should have those powers, not him.

I found one character where it makes more sense to buy it. In European Enemies there is the character of Mandelbrot who has Mental Awareness, but he also had Mind Control. The Mind Control is only vs. computers and through an OAF. I'd assume the free Mental Awareness he gets would also have those limitation, right? So he bought straight Mental Awareness to have it without any limitations.

One problem I have with Mandelbrot though is how he bought a 80 point "computer", but also has several powers with "OAF Computer"... either make it a focus for powers OR a computer Follower. I don't see the logic in making both. If it's a follower, then the follower should have those powers, not him.

European Enemies was about 87 different shades of borked in any event. The powers in that book were either nonsensical in representing what they were supposed to, or just flat out illegal (IIRC, at least two characters had +1 Stun Multiplier advantages on their Energy Blasts).

Yes EE is famous for it's mistakes, however in this one case buying Mental Awareness on top of a mental power did make sense.

I also notice that the fan-made online "corrected" writeups kept it in there, as well as the focus who was a computer follower.