Detect Life Power, not bound to any sense

Christopher

As the title sugest, wanted to make a Detect Life "Sense", that is not bound to anything else. A way to fight unhindered (against the living), even if all other senses fail.

A life 360° Radar that is suitable for discerning and targeting. Here is what I got:

Detect (Life Force) 10, Sense (+2), Targeting(+10), Discrimatory (+5), Range (+5), Increase Arc(+5) = 42 Active Pionts

Anything I forgot? How could one overcome this sense, short of killing himself and rising as an undead?

Re: Detect Life Power, not bound to any sense

As the title sugest, wanted to make a Detect Life "Sense", that is not bound to anything else. A way to fight unhindered (against the living), even if all other senses fail.

A life 360° Radar that is suitable for discerning and targeting. Here is what I got:

Detect (Life Force) 10, Sense (+2), Targeting(+10), Discrimatory (+5), Range (+5), Increase Arc(+5) = 42 Active Pionts

Anything I forgot? How could one overcome this sense, short of killing himself and rising as an undead?

Whether or not a sense created using the Unusual Sense rule has a defense is going to be campaign setting specific.

Seems very similar to several DragonBall Z character's ability to sense the "fighting power" of others. Not everyone had the sense but some had the ability to mask their power (Invisibility vs. "Sense fighting power")

When I see something like "not part of any sense group" the next question I ask is usually "What's the special effect -- how does it work?"

In my campaign, I try to define a sense group for each special effect: (If it's a psychic ability, it probably belongs in the mental group; if it's a magic-based sense, then it goes in the mystical sense group, etc.) Without a special effect, it's kind of hard to rule on what sense-affecting powers it would be subject to.

Seems like the OP's goal is to have the sense avoid being subject to sense-affecting powers.

42 Active Pionts + Spartial awaresness isn't that cheap. Especially when you have to fit it in a multi-power/vpp it takes up a lot of space. Mostly it is a fallback-sense if the eyes are "out of order" (this could even be a limtiation for this).

And the downside is obvious: Just throw your Mechanical/Zombie Minions/Allies at him, or what ever else is considered as having "no Life Force".

42 Active Pionts + Spartial awaresness isn't that cheap.

Nor should it be. It is a very powerful ability in games where Darkness and Flash powers are found.

Especially when you have to fit it in a multi-power/vpp it takes up a lot of space.

As HM notes, the general rule is that this power cannot be placed in a MP/VPP without special GM permission. The ability to have the points available for something else whenever the enhanced sense is not available sharply mitigates the cost. "well, I guess I'll have to drop my Blast down to 11d6 from 15d6, reduce my Flight by 10 meters and drop my Resistant Defense from 24/24 to 20/20 to free up 42 points for my "Immune to Sense Affecting Powers until we can take the Darkness guy down" is pretty powerful compared to having the 15d6, an extra 15 meters flight and 24/24 rDEF while being unable to attack effectively due to blindness, and the 4 points of Sight Flash defense you can buy since there's no 42 AP Sense Slot in your Multipower tying up a whopping 4 of your character points isn't going to provide a similar advantage.

Mostly it is a fallback-sense if the eyes are "out of order" (this could even be a limtiation for this).

"Only in situations where he cannot see" could be worth a -1/4 limitation. I can't think of too many situations where being unable to tell if the target is alive would be hugely punitive, but I can certainly envision scenarios where being able to determine whether the target in question is alive or a robot/zombie minion/what have you would be beneficial, even when you can see.

And the downside is obvious: Just throw your Mechanical/Zombie Minions/Allies at him' date=' or what ever else is considered as having "no Life Force".[/quote']

It becomes a bit obvious when every character with a sense-affecting power has such minions, and every robot has a sense-affecting power, though.

Of course, a character with Invisibility can certainly add "Conceal Life Force" to block a specific unusual sense/sense group.

And, if everyone on the team is able to spend 5 points or less to negate the effects of sensory powers in most situations, then the opposition can as well, leading to such powers becoming useless, and therefore rarely if ever purchased or used by anyone.