Fading Stars...when and why should superheroes retire?

Hermit

Re: Fading Stars...when and why should superheroes retire?

Especially for the "Merge with Alien/Magic Lifeform" origins:

The entire merging thing turns out to be only the chrysalis state of that organism. Some day your power just form into a new sentient lifeform. This may be like: "Hi, I'm was your power. But now I have kind of very important stuff to do elswhere, so goodby" or "Well your time with me is over, I can't go back. Kinda looks like I got your job now."

Or it's more like in Alien ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some of the more unpleasant possibilities:

Pugilistic Dementia--what, you thought all those times the character got stunned and/or knocked unconscious wouldn't catch up with them eventually?

Various other accumulated injuries--these are mostly reasons for non-superhuman heroes to retire

Scandal/growing weary of paparazzi--famous heroes may just get sick of being bothered all the time, and not having any privacy

Crimefighter burnout--this would be especially apt for Silver or Bronze Age heroes who had to deal with Iron Age "crap".

Psychotic break--the hero loses their mind and "turns heel". Or, they just wind up with a nifty nervous breakdown and decide to stop doing the thing that's making them sick.

Gwen Stacy/Jason Todd Syndrome--somebody close to me died and it's all my fault/I can't do this anymore

"I've done my 20"--the hero has spent a couple decades fighting crime and decides that's enough for one lifetime and to pass the torch to someone else

Especially for the "Merge with Alien/Magic Lifeform" origins:

The entire merging thing turns out to be only the chrysalis state of that organism. Some day your power just form into a new sentient lifeform. This may be like: "Hi, I'm was your power. But now I have kind of very important stuff to do elswhere, so goodby" or "Well your time with me is over, I can't go back. Kinda looks like I got your job now."

Or it's more like in Alien ;)

I like this concept and may have to use it as an origin for an alien superhero

"You were Captain Cosmic's cape?"

"Well...when I was very young, yes."

• 2 weeks later...

Two new ones:

You are a god. Or at least the son of one. Unfortunately not the "right" god for christian fanatics. These guys showing up and protesting against you each time just got on your nerves and you quit.

Inspirated by the Question: What did christians thought of Thor?

A long time it was not disceverd why, but your powers kept flowing and ebbing. Finally it got revealed: Sometimes the sun goes into phases where it radiates a certain particle that goes even through solid matter. Harmless for anything else, that one took away your powers.

And then the sun went into a cycle in wich it radiates this particle for a few years without pause (or if permanent retired, even 2 Million years).

A version of supermans red-sun weakness.