Naked Power Advantages in Power Frameworks

Zan the Gamer

One of my characters wants a Naked Power Advantage of Double Knockback with all HTH Attacks and wants to buy it in a Multi-Power Pool. I feel "iffy" about it and the book warns that it shouldn't NORMALLY be allowed. If anyone has had experience in this matter, your opinions would be very helpful in deciding. Thanks!

~ Zan

There are no perfect men in this world, only perfect intentions.

Hey Zan,

To me it would depend on what else is in his framework and what kind player you have. If having a naked advantage in a multipower slot prevents him from using other slots that he uses a lot, then its possible. If you think the player will start using it exclusively (or it just happens that way), then make him buy it outside the framework at a later date.

Either way, of you want all of your villians to get double KB'ed all over the place, then you may reconsider...or, just to be fair, have some villians start showing up with KB resistance.

:D

A very good suggestion. I would rather not have to resort to things like obligatory KB Resistance or obligatory LoW on most villains, but it may come to that. I still haven't seen his character sheet, and it may be perfectly fine, I just am not familiar with Naked Power Advantages yet. Thanks! :)

There are no perfect men in this world, only perfect intentions.

If you feel "iffy," say no. It's your game.

Buying dice of HA or HKA with whatever advantages you like in a power framework is rules legal and might be a better choice. That said, HA in 5th has a strange property of applying its advantages for free to a number of dice of STR damage equal to the number of dice of HA damage (i.e. 30 STR + 6d6 AP HA = 12d6 AP HA, or an 18 DC attack for 75 active points). You'll need to keep a close eye on how this is set up to keep it within your campaign limits.

I've done multipowers of naked advantages to signify various tricks of the character.

It works well, if you notice the flexibility and the power of the character you've allowed.

So, you have to look at the overall fit of the character. If it's iffy, then I'd "temporarily allow it". Let the PC have it for a couple of sessions, see how it goes. If it's too much, retcon it away, never to be seen again, refund the points, and go on.

If it's OK, then let it ride.

D

I'd look at the whole picture.

Is the double KB thing the character's "schtick"?

Why is it in a multi pool? Do the other powers in the pool fit the same theme (strength powers, "human bomb" powers, etc)? Or is it just as a points dodge?

If he's "The TNT Avenger", and has a multipower pool with the double KB punch, an explosion/AE attack, "blasting" tunnelling, and other "human bomb" type powers, I'd allow it.

If he's "Tobor the Robot" and his MP has the double KB punch, a laser, a force wall, and other hodge-podge powers, I wouldn't. I know it's blurring the line a bit between Mulitpowers and EC's (not a discussion I want to start here), but I tend to give cool and/or cohesive characters much more leeway in construction.

ok, the character is basically a nightcrawler-esque character with a powered suit based off a pair of gloves. The gloves increase his innate abilities, and the x2 KB attack was described as being the energy pool of the gloves increases the momentum of the fist, as well as translating into the target, throwing them back further. It's not able to be used when I'm using that energy for other things, and he can't do it without the suit.

Zan, it is not recomended for a reason. The reason is it Can be a problem...so take a good long look and decide if this is going to be a problem.If it Might be say no,and if later experience proves differant ,adding a slot to a multi is dirt cheap so letting it in later is not very hard.....One method I used in the olden days was "Cool idea,I'll try it out as a villian power for a few sessions and if you guys have no problem facing it...I guess heros acn have it too" (This is how I ended the"can I take X-dim move as a attack?") best of luck...

My advice is this: start by checking what the DC of the largest attack he can generate with the NPA is. If his biggest DC attack in HtH (outside the MP, obviously) is 7, and you have a typical DC of 12-13, I would be inclined to allow it. If he is trying to apply it to a 10 DC power, I'd reject it just for that, given that it doesn't really seem to be "key" to this character.