Some rules questions about Fantasy HERO Talents and Combat Maneuvers

Thanee

Hi!

We had some questions about how the Fantasy HERO Talents are supposed to work today. :)

Speaking of Rapid Archery, Storm of Steel, Whirlwind Attack, and so on.

Can you use Combat Maneuvers (i.e. Martial Strike) as normal in combination with such special attacks?

Also, Whirlwind Attack seems pretty weird, since it completely ignores the targets' DCV. Shouldn't it have the Nonselective or Selective Option for the Area Advantage?

Bye

Thanee

Re: Some rules questions about Fantasy HERO Talents and Combat Maneuvers

I don't have my book with me, but I think Whirlwind is supposed to hit everything in it's path. Selective would allow you to avoid your allies which does not fit with how the Talent presents the attack.

Selective would allow you to avoid your allies which does not fit with how the Talent presents the attack.

There is still Nonselective then, which does not allow you to pick targets (but does require actual attack rolls). ;)

Bye

Thanee

Let's look at it from a different angle. Are magic users in your game allowed to get AoE magic attacks? If the answer is yes, than why shouldn't fighters be able to as well? If the answer is no, than just don't use the Talent or rebuild it as a Power from scratch including the extra Limitation so it is cheaper for the fighter.

Of course, it's a question whether you want to play Lord of the Rings or Diablo. :)

Anyways, anyone got some input on the first question (does it "stack" with Combat Maneuvers or not)?

Bye

Thanee

Of course, it's a question whether you want to play Lord of the Rings or Diablo. :)

Anyways, anyone got some input on the first question (does it "stack" with Combat Maneuvers or not)?

I don't have the source for those Talents, but when they are built on powers they work like powers in all regards. Of course the AOE effects are excempt from some maneuvers (or at least I think AOE is excempt) and they may be bulit with a limitations that forbids it (check how they were build, if this is part of the book), but if not: Yes, they can stack with any Normal, Optional or martial Maneuver that would fit for a HTH or Ranged Attack/Power.

Of course, that is true for spells too....

Hi!

We had some questions about how the Fantasy HERO Talents are supposed to work today. :)

Speaking of Rapid Archery, Storm of Steel, Whirlwind Attack, and so on.

Can you use Combat Maneuvers (i.e. Martial Strike) as normal in combination with such special attacks?

Also, Whirlwind Attack seems pretty weird, since it completely ignores the targets' DCV. Shouldn't it have the Nonselective or Selective Option for the Area Advantage?

Bye

Thanee

My personal ruling would be to require a 1 pt "Weapon Element" to use Martial Arts in conjunction with such moves.

But as for ordinary combat manuevers like Haymaker, etc, I'd say let common sense, dramatic sense, and game balance be your guides.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that Lucius can say it but he wasn't the first to say it.

Yeah, so long as they have the ability to use Martial Maneuvers with the Weapon in question, I don't see why you can't stack maneuvers with the talents, since most are built as Damage Classes to HtH attacks with modifiers, essentially.

And as Lucius stated, common sense should rule whether such talents can combine with, say, Haymaker or Move Through. For instance, Whirlwind Attack probably shouldn't be combined with Move Through, as it is an AE attack; you can already simulate such by doing a multiple move-through. Similarly I wouldn't allow Haymaker to combine with Whirlwind, again due to haymaker taking extra time. In fact, Whirlwind Attack I might not allow with any other maneuvers and essentially call it a maneuver in and of itself (since, IIRC, it takes a full phase action); but something like Deadly Strike could add DC's to any martial maneuvers or even attacks made using other such talents - like adding damage to whirlwind attack, if conditions are met.

As I heard it form here, Whirlwind is just a HTH-Range AOE effect with extra Time (Full Phase). Afaik you can use most martial maneuvers with AOE attacks that take a Full Phase. Haymaker and Move Through are the one that specifically forbid it, since the attack takes to much time (they are designed with fast, half-phase attacks in mind).

The only effect a different Boni on OCV and DCV and Damage, so it's more of a tactical decission if you make a "Offesnive Strike Whirlwind" or a "Defensive Strike Whirlwind". How much you value Being Protected (DCV) vs. doing Damage/Hitting.

Of coure, I don't have the rules for those feats so I may be wrong, but I would just treat them as any other power or skill.