Would you allow this advantage?

Rebar

My player has built this:

20 EC - base 20

1] 20 10/10 Forcefield - 0End +1/2, Adaptable (can change to 15PD/5ED, or 5PD/15ED with a 1/2 phase action +1/2)2] ...

Would you allow this? Is there a legal way to buy it without blowing a bunch of his points?

Re: Would you allow this advantage?

One option would be a 20pt Multipower with flexible slots' date=' one with 15 PD Forcefield, the other with 15 ED Forcefield, thus able to switch between 15/5, 5/15, and anything in between.[/quote']

Yeah, but that will wreak heck with his character design. Anything less intrusive?

Also, would you allow the advantage? Is it precedent-setting?

Afaik Allocateable has a Yield Sign, so I understand your concern.

One way to limit it: caculate how much defense-AP he would be allowed to have according to campaing standards (i.e. Standart Superheroic allows you to add +5 normal PD/ED and +18 Resistant PD/ED, worth about 34 AP) and say: You can put advantages on it, but for starters you must be within 34 AP (or whatever you think would be realistic for his concept) for your defenses.

AP Limits can be a very good Balacing factor, when the players start playing with advantages.

Or just place a villian in front of him that can either alterate between Phys-Blast and Energy-Blast or one that uses two weapons simultaniosly: On for Phys, one with Energy Damage. For a name: How about "Ice shard" as a name?

Afaik Allocateable has a Yield Sign, so I understand your concern.

Well, he's only varying between 5/15, 10/10 and 15/5, so it's not scary. I'm more concerned about opening this can of worms and not being able to keep the lid on it.

OK, it's a 40 AP power that lets him have up to +15 ED, up to +15 PD and no more than 20 PD/ED combines, at 0 END. However, because of the EC, he's able to save some points he could not save if this were another framework.

Outside the EC, he could buy:

15 +5 PD/+5 ED Force Field, 0 END

15 Multipower - 15 point pool

3 v +10 PD Force Field, 0 END

3 v +10 ED Force Field, 0 END

Total cost 36 points

He's paying 4 more points before we consider the EC savings, so I'd say the costing is not unreasonable.

For the same 40 points, at 0 END, he could have +13 PD, +13 ED Force Field (39 points, actually), so the actual difference here is boosting PD or ED by 2 at the cost of dropping the other by 8. If there's a balance issue there, I'd say he's the one suffering by it. The plain vanilla force field would have a 3 point advantage on PD and ED when split evenly, and would clearly be allowable in the EC (except he has to add 1 PD or ED to hit 40 points, reducing the down side even further).

The question comes down to whether you are comfortable with the character being able to enhance one defense at the expense of the other, however it seems like he pays a pretty steep price in respect of average defenses for this marginal flexibility to enhance one over the other. In fact, doing the math, I'd be reluctant to take his construct instead of +14/+13. With 5 xp, he can be at +15/+15, instead of trading off between the two defenses.

Well' date=' he's only varying between 5/15, 10/10 and 15/5, so it's not scary. I'm more concerned about opening this can of worms and not being able to keep the lid on it.[/quote']

Especially when it comes the special defenses (Power, Flash), when combined with PD/ED in the same power, this can be a problem (so better say them in adavance if such combinations are not possible).

But as hugh pointed out, he might be better of to just pay plain 15/15 (or the foundation for it).

At least that player seems reasonable, as he didn't bought 5/5 PD/ED and a 5/5 PD/ED, Allocateable (same result, a little cheaper).