A Focus that is sometimes obvious

sobran

A character has a crystal embedded in his chest that is the source of his power. For six hours per day, he can turn into his heroic identity, represented by a single Fuel Charge. All superhuman abilities are OIAID, implied to be when the first Shape Shift ability is active.

The crystal which enables this transformation is normally hidden under clothing, but is obvious in the heroic identity, and can be removed with a little time, provided the character is restrained or unconscious. Should this Focus be valued at the IIF or OIF level, in your opinion?

Re: A Focus that is sometimes obvious

I agree, the lesser one. When Green latern is not wearing his Uniform, you wouldn't notice the Ring or the Green Eyes that much.

It's also the question: How much of a problem you want it to be? When you take OIF it's hard for him to hide it while not in Alternate ID so he will be much more likely to loose it (for example, in the Entire JLA TV series, Green Latern was only two times without his ring: Once when it ran Dry, Once when the Thanagerians took it).

That most of his (your Characters) powers only work while Shifted Can be done with Either an OIAID too, or with Linking them to the shape shift. Most likely you want them to be unified too, but this is also a question of how much hinderance you want it to be.

The crystal which enables this transformation is normally hidden under clothing' date=' but is obvious in the heroic identity, and can be removed with a little time, provided the character is restrained or unconscious. Should this Focus be valued at the IIF or OIF level, in your opinion?[/quote']

Just to make this certain: A random buglar K.O.ing him, and searching him can get this thing from him in a Minute or less? So no skill rolls/special knowledge required?

Just to make this certain: A random buglar K.O.ing him' date=' and searching him can get this thing from him in a Minute or less? So no skill rolls/special knowledge required?[/quote']

Essentially, yes. No special knowledge required, though I might say an INT roll is necessary.

I'm not sure this calls for Shapeshift, and I'm not sure this calls for a Focus at all.

Sometimes it's possible to legitimately have both Only in Alternate IDentity and Focus, but it's discouraged for a reason.

If you have a set of Powers that are OIAID, you don't have to have Shapeshift to have that alternate form. And, it's assumed that there is a way to prevent the change, or that it can sometimes be problematic in some way. In short, I think the crystal should just be part of the "special effects" of the Alt-ID Powers.

Lucius Alexander

Only in Palindromedary ID

The sidebar on 6E1 269 Discusses Multiofrm and Shape Shift. And frankly, linking them to Shape Shift with IIF or making the OIAID is both pretty similar.

He just makes certain how his transform can be negated, where OIAID usually makes that less certain + he can look totally different (thus no problems with True ID).

When it's only about getting into the tights fast, Instant Change (6E1 307 Sidebar) is worth a look. But shape shift also means he is succeptible for back-transformation that override ShSh

Rather than take a separate Foci lim, decrease the Charge modifier by -1/4, as a variant on the difficult to find sub-modifier of charges. Normally, he's fine and gets his one charge worth of juice each day, but if the reliquary or whatever is taken he has to regain it before he can use the charge again.

Also, an individual GM can draw the line somewhere if they feel the need to, but activation of powers does not require shapeshift or multiform to make your character look different, particularly in the superheroic genre.

Rather than take a separate Foci lim, decrease the Charge modifier by -1/4, as a variant on the difficult to find sub-modifier of charges. Normally, he's fine and gets his one charge worth of juice each day, but if the reliquary or whatever is taken he has to regain it before he can use the charge again.

Also, an individual GM can draw the line somewhere if they feel the need to, but activation of powers does not require shapeshift or multiform to make your character look different, particularly in the superheroic genre.

Hey, I hadn't thought of looking at it that way! Rep incoming.

On the Shapeshift front, I was simply modeling the characters on the Alpha Room team in the 5th Edition Team Champions. This is the first time I have used the Hero System for the Champions genre, to be honest, a fact I find a little ironic. It does make sense that if /everyone/ is assumed to have this ability, it is silly for everyone to pay for it. I guess it would only make sense in a game where some people could change instantly, others had to find a telephone booth, and still others didn't bother keeping a Secret ID.

On the Shapeshift front' date=' I was simply modeling the characters on the Alpha Room team in the 5th Edition Team Champions. [...'] I guess it would only make sense in a game where some people could change instantly, others had to find a telephone booth, and still others didn't bother keeping a Secret ID.

Shape Shift is a brother of Images. Same result - fake sensory interpretion - but by actually altering your skin-structure, skin color, scent instead of overlaying it by something virtual.

There is also the "Instant Change"-Power in 6E1 307, but that is made as "1d6 Cosmetic Transform, Standart Effect".