Curse My Gamer ADD (aka, I Really Shouldn't Have Watched "X-Men: First Class")

Theron

So, I've been toying with the idea of running another Champions game, the first I've done in a couple of years. And up to last night, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what I was doing with it, taking an old city setting of my own creation that never got the use it deserved, and porting it into the existing CU.

Then, I went to the movies last night and caught the new X-Men film. Which got me thinking about another one of my "orphans," a setting called "Agents of IMPACT," a somewhat grimmer, but no less fantastic world of superpowered spies and government operatives. Because "X-Men: First Class" was exactly the sort of story IMPACT was written to tell and man, that got my creative juices flowing.

Problem is, I can really only choose one to pursue, due to time and my own attention span. Frustrating.

Re: Curse My Gamer ADD (aka, I Really Shouldn't Have Watched "X-Men: First Class")

Maybe the inspiration isn't a curse but a blessing.

I've been there with my fantasy stories. Have an outline for "The Stronger Rule," a sequel to a well-received story of mine, "The Strong Survive." While outlining TSR, a new idea for "New Life," a story I had put on hold, came into my head. "New Life" has turned out very well in my beta readers' opinions (and about twice as long as I originally intended). I'll be working on TSR soon and hope the step back works for it.

I say that to encourage you in your decision. Maybe the time away from Agents has helped it grow in your subconscious.

Re: Curse My Gamer ADD (aka, I Really Shouldn't Have Watched "X-Men: First Class")

Is there a reason you can't base your "agents of IMPACT" in your original city' date=' drawing on the material you created for both? That might provide a wider range of adventure opportunities.[/quote']

Tone, mostly. At its heart, if you ignore the art deco trappings, Meridian is basically a four-color superhero city, and pretty easily ported over to the CU. IMPACT, on the other hand, owes more to Marvel's Ultimate setting. The notion of independent superheroes is, if not actively derided, certainly outside the norm. It's about superpowered government agents taking on "persons of mass destruction," pretty much the antithesis of four-color comics in an art deco city.

While I certainly sympathize with your desire to run a "super-spies" campaign, I remember you posting that you intended to heavily use the published Champions Universe materials because you didn't have the time to invest in developing an original setting.

While I certainly sympathize with your desire to run a "super-spies" campaign' date=' I remember you posting that you intended to heavily use the published Champions Universe materials because you didn't have the time to invest in developing an original setting.[/quote']

True. But most of this is already "in the can" so to speak. It just needs some dusting off and tweaking.

However, your memory is excellent. This is what happens between "I want to run Champions again," and actually being able to get people together to play. :/

I can also relate to your dilemna. Just recently I was going over some ideas for a modern day supers campaign in a not so traditional setting [ not CU ] and then stories for a modern day espionage game started to delevop. Here's what I did; I created a binder and put seperate campaign ideas into different sections and the one that filled out best/most I would run. Maybe if you pitched your ideas to the board others might comment on their interest seeing as you are looking for players anyway??